Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #58

Eight new DOOM modifications for us to enjoy, in our weekly update of the new things uploaded to Newstuff.

• DoomTown by Russell Pearson - (img) (img) - According to the author, this three-level WAD for Doom 2 was created back in the days shortly after the release of Doom 2. If this is the case, and even if it isn't, this is a very impressive three-map package. The WAD is mostly brown, but its selling point is the unique playability. So far from what we're used to, you spend a lot of time conserving health and ammo, creating monster infights and finishing them off with your pistol. This WAD isn't too terribly difficult, but it's quite fun.
  • Omniversal Doom #1 by Shawn Huckabay - (img) - This is an interesting single-player level for Doom 2. It's mostly straight-forward in its layout, so there isn't much in the way of exploring. It has a varied theme. Dark, blood-filled caves, to silver computer rooms, to a wide-open nukage area, it's a nice map to take a run through. It's not all that difficult, except for the very end. Ammo is balanced reasonably well, so you're often on the lookout for power-ups. It has a few nice special effects, as well as a half-decent music replacement. Requires ZDoom.
  • Mystic5 by Andy Mckie - (img) - The deathmatch saga continues. One new map for Doom 2. These levels seem to be getting continually more colorful. This one is yet another space map, but not as 3D as the others. You teleport from walkway to walkway, each area illuminated with different color neon lights. It should make for a very interesting 2-3 player deathmatch. Requires Doom Legacy.
  • Mystic6 by Andy Mckie - (img) - One deathmatch map for Doom 2. This map is much more like the original design of Mystic1, just more colorful. There are a couple of differences in this three-level map, however. The neon lights for one, and the low-gravity, high-resistance setting of the gaps in between the platforms. You'll see what I mean when you try it out. Requires Doom Legacy.
  • Mystic7 by Andy Mckie - (img) - Another single deathmatch map for Doom 2. This map is quite large compared to most of the other Mystic levels. A three-level map. Red, blue and magenta. It has the same low-gravity high-resistance gap feature in Mystic6, and is generally the same size as Mystic4. Yet another interesting deathmatch map. Requires Doom Legacy.
  • Lemmings Deathmatch by Ben Wagner - (img) (img) (img) - This is an unusual modification. Fourteen new deathmatch levels for Doom 2, Map01-06 and Map08-15. Yes, it is in the theme of Lemmings. Each map is quite different,  however. None of the maps are all that big. They range from a plain four-line stick-shaped map to one with a beautiful waterfall. There are many sound and graphics replacements, as well as some nice MIDI replacements. Enhanced DOOM port recommended.
  • Deathz0r1 by Deathwarrior - (img) - One small deathmatch map for Doom 2. Taking place on a small stone arena, in the middle of a lake of lava, this map makes for a different deathmatch with only the Super Shotgun, Chaingun, and Plasma Gun weapons available. That's about all there is to say.
  • Mystic8 by Andy Mckie - (img) - The largest of the Mystic series so far. A three-platform map, filled with pillars, towers, and rooms. The same low-gravity feature of Mystic6 and 7. Red, blue, and magenta neon lights. Recommended for four or more players. Requires Doom Legacy.

I have to warn people that mystic8 does not work properly in software/dos modes, it gives HOM all over the place and looks really crap. The mystic series were only tested in Legacy opengl mode.

Wow, those screenies of my levels look really bad, in opengl those levels are gorgeous.

Guest deathwarrior

what brightness level do you have it set on? my level looks horribly bright. regardless of that, thanks for the review. :)

The maps looks, but the 3D floors won't show up for me. I using the lastest version. i must be doing something wrong.
Any ideas?

Guest (Unknown)

Yes it is tiresome isnt it W@velength? [yawns and sighs]

I only tested them in opengl with a voodoo Banshee card, Big Al says they are fine in Glide on his voodoo3 and the minigl driver should also work. The 3D floors are supposed to be translucent, like in my screenies below.

Its not just Mystic 8 that has the problem with software and dos modes, Mystic5, 6 and 7 also have it.
I cant fix it without completely changing the layout of the levels and the way they play so Im leaving them as they are. 3D Hardware only.

Just fyi,

Unofficial Wad Designers Handbook

is no longer hosted on newdoom?
Their link points back to doomworld.

Yeah, I know, you just run around shooting stuff. What were you expecting, they are made for deathmatch.

I really enjoyed DoomTown. I loved "Tunnel Run" (one of my faves in fact) and these levels (esp 2 and 3) were very reminiscent of the style of Tunnel Run. Recessed switches, Support3 style cross beams etc. The first level is a really nice reinterpretaion of Map01 too. I really enjoyed that. The extra architechture and upping in difficulty were well handled. A nice piece of quality work.

Yes, naturally, Wavylength, it is boring. I'm absolutely CERTAIN that you could come up with anything better. I'm certain that your crappy little levels (assuming you have any) are far superior to that of the puny designers eg. Chris Lutz who waste their time putting massive and really fine architectural detail into their maps. I'm certain that you'll grow up into a politician, too, you're such a small-minded wanker!

By the way, who the Hell is Gaylength?

Forget I asked. Wavelength's getting his own damn fan club now. ;)

I like Mystics levels. I'm just happy to see people making levels. They rule in DM, and besides, isn't DOOM all about running around and shooting things?

btw, wavelength, try making some friends, then you won't have to come up with imaginary assholes to respond to your meaningless comments

Inferno.

You know, trashing other people's work generally doesn't reflect very well on you. If so and so's work sucks for such and such reasons, then let it go and don't stress yourself out over making sure that everyone knows that you think it sucks.

Personally, I think the Mystic series of levels is very well designed, and although the playability in each of them is similar, they do make a hell of a deathmatch... And besides, that's what they were designed for in the first place. It also gives me a tough act to follow with my own project, and I like that kind of friendly little challenge.

- Jeremy Wagner

Sorry, did I miss something? When did Inferno trash Mystic's maps? He simply said that he was sick of them...I know what he meant by that (although he could have phrased it with a bit more tact), I must admit to thinking what! another one? myself. Mystic's maps look very nice, but to produce 8 on the same theme is pushing it a bit far imho.

Having said that, Mystic is adding new features to each progressive map, so it's not totally unreasonable for him to adopt this approach if he wants. It's just that it would be nice to see a variation in themes....heh, this may seem a bit rich coming from someone who designs maps that are all darkly lit and seems to use only the stone/metal/wood textures. Oh well, what do i know anyway? :)

Maybe I went too defensive on this one, but given the way inferno stated his case, I felt as though he was being quite hostile.

"I am so SICK of these Mystic maps. They all play the same."

Then again, I've been known as the kind of guy who delves deeper than he should.

- Jeremy

Thanks for the praise for DoomTown, i'll try not to go all 'fredrick' on you guys -j/k fred ;)

You're quite right about the similarities between DT and Tunnel Run. In fact DoomTown was originally going to be a five level PC and Tunnel Run was designed to be it's third level. I aborted the project though, finished Tunnel Run and released it as a stand-alone level. What is presented as level 3 in DT was originally going to be level 4 (in fact this level was never really finished properly, the ending is a bit weak and really needed more attention). I decided to release DT as a 3 level wad mainly because it had been sitting on my hard drive for years and it seemed a bit pointless not to release it having spent all that time and effort designing the levels.