Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

Painful Wadster

Doom Center's Bigdog has posted the latest Wadster feature, which is of Erik Alm, a relative newcomer who has somehow managed to get himself into several large projects such as Pain, Ni'mrod, and Freedoom, and also has his own series of Europa maps in progress, the first of which is available as a download pack linked from the feature article. Big thanks to Bigdog for an excellent read as usual.

Heh.
Now clicking on the disk image in the linked page gives me:

"Could not find the file, ID was void"

Works for me just fine. Maybe you're having MGON Problems (tm).

Guest forEver

i saw a duck get hit yesterday? and i was the one who hit it...

<font size=1><samp>oops.....</samp></font>

I really wish I had more time, or more appropriately wasn't so lazy with the time I have. Anyways, Erik, I wanted to email you about eaeuro01 back when I downloaded it from newstuff.

(From memory here goes):
I really liked it, although admittedly I did not have the patience to play through it but rather clip through most. I'm more of a play or die then save and hide...

Architecture was creative...and the best thing about the wad. My favorite areas were the large sprawling ones...always great to see in doom2. You did change texture schemes a bit too many times, but each area had a solid motif.

Difficulty I can't really comment on because I didn't really play. However, I imagine that the length of the wad makes it seem harder then it is. At least if you play it my style. Good to see that you favor coop. Probably a fun coop wad to play.

One thing I did not like was those 20 foot hallways connecting the major rooms. You did some nice things with them, but I think the less of them the better. It makes the wad feel more linear and more "hallway, room, hallway, room". You know, it's just better atmosphere if the rooms feel cohesive and attached.

Hopefully your PAIN levels aren't that big...could get three levels out of that.. =)
(PAIN stock goes up...heh)

Anthony

I heard that fredrik did a nomonster speedrun through my pain map in 49 seconds. I also did a skill 3 speedrun in 2:45 (I died just as I pushed the exit switch though). It also runs under doom2.exe and suffers no problems with save buffer overrun, despite all the detail. I'll leave it to that.

About the three levels in one.. if you study it carefully you can see that it IS 3 levels in one. There are 3 sets of keys. only one of each is needed to exit. It's not really meant to be played for 100% kills/secrets. Just wander/run around until you've found one key of each kind and then try to find the exit. Of course the ending is less impossible (doh, I hate the ending) if you manage to find all 3 keys of each kind (which is nearly impossible due to the evil/stupid placement of one yellow key).

quote from fredrik: "No more hallways in this map now" Damn, I like hallways packed with monsters...

Is anyone able to tell me what the limits of a vanilla doom2 save game are? I've just discovered that the current level i'm designing produces a save buffer overrun when you try to save it in vanilla doom2 :( It's not bloody fair!

* Russell stamps off in a mood

AFAIK save buffer over-runs are based on number of items placed in a level. Technically if the player picks up enough items he may be able to save at some point in the level...

Time to put a cap on the wad-size eh? =)

"quote from fredrik: "No more hallways in this map now" Damn, I like hallways packed with monsters... "

Tell him to shut up until he starts building reject tables for his 50,000 sector 250,000 monster levels :P

hehe :)

Another good wadster interview, its nice to hear from a Douglas adams fan, seems like a really sound guy.
I wish he would make his levels a bit smaller though.

mystic: I actually met Douglas in RL(Tm) about 3 years before he passed away. He was visiting Stockholm and gave a lecture about his current projects. Damn shame that he is gone.

Ebola: word

OK, who ever said getting a save-game buffer overload was a good thing? That means a) your wad is somewhat large b) People who like to save cannot save.

Small to mid-sized levels rule. More playable
=)

Mayor: Here's my vote chart for the Oscars.
Deputy Mayor: Sir. You voted Tom Hanks in all categorys.
Mayor: I like Tom Hanks.

Moo.

I like large maps.. the larger the better. :D

I like GOOD levels be they large,medium or small. It's just that with a large level you get more of it!
"A good big 'un will always beat a good little 'un" (Classic phrase).
Yeah,Hitchickers was great,especially first time around on t' radio,great author D.A.

A large map can be good, a small map can be good, a large map can be bad, a small map can be bad. The quality has little to do with the size (unless we go to extremes). That's just my opinion on the matter.

Not me.I've been an avid player now for some years but I've only just started to make level(s) in the past month,I'm still on my first (it's a big one).I'm working my way through the DW tutorials,which are great,tell me more about 3D floors.