Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

Launcher Launched

De Zeurkous sent us news about the release of version 1.0 of his Quick DooM Launcher.

[, Final DooM (both games), BooM, ZDooM, Heretic/SOSR, Hexen, and the hacked executable of Project X for DooM ][ which i happen to like very much :P I hope people will like it. But i have one very important request to people: DO NOT SEND ME NAMES OF EXECUTABLES THAT YOU WANT TO BE DETECTED IN THE NEXT VERSION! The next version will probably include a "external executable list" feature, which means that you can make a text file with executables, and compile them with GQDLELC (The GNU Quick DooM Launcher Executable List Compiler) to the binary format that The QDL can read.

The program and a text description are available here and here respectively.

Guest Epistax

I've seen a few of those out and even made my own (originally) ZDoom Launcher. And it too can launch any exe, with whatever params. Not a new concept. I made it because I found other ones to be clunky and lengthy.

Guest smola

I don't understand why he didn't look for the other launchers so he could see what's on the market. Anyway, this one's crap, don't waste your time.

Guest Zeurkous

I did look at other launchers! They are all Winblows, and i happen to like DOS much better :) And remember, it is named the QUICK DooM Launcher! Did you read the text file?
It says: "If i will ever finish them, The QDL will be part of both The DooM Launcher and The DooM Hacking Toolkit." So this is just a part of a bigger launcher, which makes use of The QDL. Please don't make any comments on this launcher, it is meant to be small!

De Zeurkous
-----------

Friggin' Machines

Is this actually an official GNU project? It seems to me that you shouldnt really use the GNU name unless its an official GNU program. I dont think its actually a trademark or anything, but still..

Guest Zeurkous

I have read te GPL and, if i haven't overlooked anything, it doen't say anything about using the words `GNU' or `FSF' in the titles of programs. I use the name because IMO it sounds a bit interesting :P

De Zeurkous
-----------

Friggin' Machines!

Programs have the "GNU" prefix because they're part of the GNU project. Making your software GPL doesnt automatically make it part of the GNU project: eg, the Linux kernel is GPLed but isnt part of GNU. Theres probably nothing to *stop* you doing it but it is rather confusing and misleading.

Guest smola

Hi, one of us doesn't understand the concept od the front-end utilities. Do they need to provide simplified usage of another program or what? In your launcher there is nothing simplified - i have to type everything! I'm just being put through a serious of questions where I need to type in te answers. I could as well type it on the command line when starting Doom.exe. Is tere any help - no, have you implemented checking of what I type - no. I'm sorry but if you didn't finish you great project don't waste my(our) time with this programming exercize.
I have spent 4 years working no my launcher (every few months and so) and I know what effort one has to make to build a good user-friendly front-end. It is a Window program but that's because it' EASIER to use it there. I plan to port it to Linux (lucky me working in Delphi). All good Doom utilities are written for Windows (except for Deutex which also has a Windows front-end). Thanks for listening.

Hey Smola, you said:

"...I plan to port it to Linux (lucky me working in Delphi)..."

That sounds cool ! I wish I had used Delphi. Have a already a version of Kylix to do that ?

Guest Zeurkous

Ur right. I will replace the word "GNU" with "Free" :P

De Zeurkous
-----------

Friggin' Machines!

Guest smola

Yep, Visual Basic is not so portable. :)
I have Open source edition of Kylix so I will start from there, if it doesn't suit me I'll get an illegal copy. All for DOOM... :))