Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

POTD

The only problem with Boom is that there's no point in using it, seeing as pretty much every port (except JDoom and Vavoom) have all its features.

Boom is a good port for those who STILL don't have any 3D Accel. I love all the features ZDoom has, but something about the feel just doesn't mesh with the original Doom exe. For instance, rockets seem to be weaker. Boom/MBF are still my ports of choice when I want to play something with the 'original' Doom feel to it. EDGE, JDooM, et. al are still great ports if you have the hardware to run'em.

"Rockets seems to be weaker"

I performed several tests on this issue a few days ago, and they ARE weaker. Especially against enemies with large radius like mancubi and arachnotrons. One mancubi could take up to 7 rockets while a baron took 6 at most. (Mancubi have 600 hp, barons 1000). This is why you shouldn't play non Zdoom specific wads in Zdoom.

Boom is the port that best resembles doom2.exe's gameplay imo.

"All Half-Lifes Known to mankind, nown to me:"

Hmm. How many Dooms are there?

Doom
Ultimate Doom
Doom II
Doom II: TNT Evilution
Doom II: The Plutonia Experiment
Heretic
Hexen
Hacx
Strife

What did I miss?

Many of those you listed are just unofficial mods, rather than officially released in the shops.

If you already knew that, though, how could you possible miss off They Hunger?!?! :)

And the console version of Half-life is actually Blue Shift.

Guest CeeJay

Hey, thanx guys! Any more people how are intrested? Don't hesitate to email me.

I think sourceports are all right, but for gamplay there's nothing quite like the original Doom[2].exe-s. Actually, EDGE isn't that bad (I'm using it for an advanced level set of mine).

If you like good music, check the link below. It's from Jim O'Rourke's album "I'm Happy, and I'm singing, and a 1,2,3,4"
http://files.mdos.at/mego/mego050b.mp3
According to the site I found it on, "Given the nature of this warm beast, it seems likely to appeal across the board - electronic nuts, indie rock kids and yes, even the good folk of the established experimental world may take pleasure in the delicate nuances of Jim's hardrive. Avoiding cliches seems like pretty tough business to most artists out there, not to our boy Jim who has produced a disc worthy of many repeated listens - hat's off to him for that." Just wanted to drop that in, as it's so super duper. ( ;)

The mancubi test was done on doom2, map07. I played the map in zdoom and doom2.exe 4 times each. I made sure that the mancubi was singled out before I fired so that the splash didn't hurt anything else, of course I didn't miss any shots either (all direct hits). After I wasted all the rockets in the start room there were an average of 3.25 mancubi left in zdoom (latest 1.23 beta), while there were an average of 1.25 mancubi left in doom2.exe. It's not scientific proof, but it suggests that there's something going on.

"but it suggests that there's something going on. "

That you suck at Doom?

Heh. Just playin with ya =)

Seriously though, it's been my experience that rockets are less powerful in ZDoom than in the other ports or original .exe too. I think the splash damage is reduced.

Guest j00 equals ded

"I don't play Counter-Strike, and I'm proud of it =P"

holy shit... CS reeks... please, stop the spread of the virus... please.

anyone who plays CS or likes HL deserves to be shot.

Guest DooMetallicA

of course! you missed SO many dooms!! here is the complete list as to my knowledge:

Guest DooMetallicA

I didnt mean to click "Add Comments! actually...I dont REMEMBER clicking it...besides, i lost the list...ill write it up again.

Guest DooMetallicA

ok, there are:

Doom 1
Ultimate Doom
Doom 2
Final Doom
Master Levels for Doom2
Maximum Levels for doom 2
Lost Episodes for Doom
Doom for playstation: includes Doom2
Final Doom for playstation: includes master levels for doom 2
Doom for GBA
Doom for Atari Jaguar
Doom for Super Nintendo
Doom for Sega 32X
Doom for Dreamcast(its a hacked thing)
Doom for 3do
hacx and strife, etc don't count.
Doom for Sega Saturn
all Doom's for Mac or Linux
Doom Collectors Edition
Doom Trilogy

and if i think of more I'll post them. did I miss any?

"anyone who plays CS or likes HL deserves to be shot."

I don't play CS, but I like HL, and regularly DM with my mate.

Er, nice pic. I like the fire. :)

Guest smola

I don't think that Zdoom is less dooomish for playing Doom just because its rocket do less damage. Anyway, discussions about Doom ports are useless. The people count, not the features.

Guest j00 equals ded

you missed the one where the doom guy fights the taliban...

Guest DooMetallicA

Doom Collectors edition sucked, but I bought it just for the box. I will soon have all dooms ever created :) except the dreamcast version of course, that bitch you just cant find(its a hacked thing)

I think the ZDoom versus Doom2 rocket damage is somehow related to the possibility of doing rocket jumping in ZDoom. This could cause the "toughness" of mancubi because they have bigger collision radius (so the rockets explode farther from their origin).

But it could be a bug, because i've not seen any mancubus doing rocket jumps.

Maybe the difference doesn't make ZDoom less 'Doomish',but it certainly makes a difference to how you play the game.If for example you know it's only gonna take 2or3 rockets to kill a Mancubus as opposed to 3or4 the space you allow yourself for evaision/strafing can be much less,it's a 'tighter' gameplay.
Is there any difference in the damage inflicted in relation to your speed of movement towards the enemy when you shoot? Any views or facts upon this?

Guest Excalibur_Z

I like it. Smooth netplay, good physics (the jumping could use a little work though), smooth effective graphics and lighting, and good multiplayer. That's pretty much all I use it for anyway.

Nowadays it seems to be pretty much JDoom and Skulltag.

ZDoom's rockets definitely do less damage at least up to v1.22 - I haven't played the 1.23 betas much. I played Vrack2 a lot in Zdoom 1.22, and believe me, you use a lot of rockets there. Magikal: the speed you're running towards the enemy, the angle you're facing, whether you're hopping up and down on one leg, whether it's a Tuesday in June with a full moon showing...none of these make a rat's arse difference to damage calculations. =).

Doometallica: Lost Episodes and Maximum Levels aren't official releases, just illegal (since I think neither pack asked for permission from the authors) re-releases of wads which were probably ripped off cdrom.com. you missed the id anthology, which I think had at least one of the Dooms in it.

Raziel: i don't think the changed rocket damage has anything to do with rocket jumping. it'd be perfectly possible to rocket jump in the original doom2.exe if you could look up and down and jump, that's the only change needed. It's just a bug, plain and simple, and I have no idea how it's stuck around so long.

as for ports, I hardly use anything but prboom any more - 3D-accelerated Doom just looks horribly wrong, and prboom is wonderfully stable and has an extremely well-implemented and effective compatibility mode system.