Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

Crazy Music

Marc 'Fanatic' Pullen updated his Asylum with good news for our ears. Thanks to the magic of the DSL, he has been able to summon...

... a music oriented website featuring most of what I have released here, but in a different style. Looks a lot like the EDGE site I designed, plain, but functional.

Here you go.

Guest Fanatic

All set.

There were some very weird client session problems, it's all fixed now and ready to roll.

Sorry, but this website requires Microsoft Internet Explorer (MSIE 5.0 or higher). You are running Mozilla/4.77 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.4.4-4GB i586).

Please upgrade to Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or higher then return if you wish to view this website.

-Marc

"upgrade" ?? lol

As usual, Opera gets through just fine.

Re: Mozilla, I do recall that the more recent builds of the open source mozilla browser was able to view many MSIE only material, due to the current direction of that project to emulate MSIE's rendering, which IMHO can only mean good things, given NS's poor handling of css.

BTW, apparently MSIE 6 has done away w/ the <embed> support, which has caused the Vitalize & Quicktime plugins some trouble, as they rely on embed tags. Clickteam is scrambling to create (surprise, surprise) an activex version of Vitalize. I can only speculate what Quicktime will wind up doing. Business as usual for M$, as they have consistently worked to create obstacles for people wishing to implement competing technologies, while creating incentives for developers to use their own technologies. Most people just go in the path of least resistance.

Apple has already released an activex version of the quicktime plugin. But seeing as the program itself (quicktime, that is) is shoddy in the extreme (refuses to draw itself correctly while running, wtf) I don't even have it installed any more... I can do without quicktime media, anyway.

Sorry, but I don't let IE out of its cage. And as I can attest from using lots of sites that "require" IE5.x or NS 4.7x (including Hotmail, MSN.com, microsoft.com...) if the site owner would just let anyone arrive in any boat they care to row, 99% of the time the site will still work just fine (so long as you don't do something totally bogus like javascript-only links).

Guess I won't be visiting. *shrug*

Guest Fanatic

Yes, the site requires IE. It won't render correctly at all in Mozilla/Netscape. I would be surprised if it runs in Opera too.

Netscape 4.77 is old and buggy, so yes, IE 5.0 would be quite an upgrade.

If you don't like it, guess what? Who cares! It's an income free site with no ads. Start writing a check to me, and we'll talk further about non-IE compliance.

And BTW, I did test it with Netscape 4.7, Netscape 6.whatever the newest build is, and the latest Mozilla -all crap. I'm doing you a favor...

The site works perfectly fine in IE4.0, which is the last version you don't have to worry about "letting out of it's cage", so if you can get 4.0 on, use that.

Tested it on the Linux Opera, & it rejected it until I told Opera to identify itself as msie. . . I just checked & the win32 version of Opera had the msie spoofing on already.

But anyway, you really should have an assortment of browsers at your disposal, kind of like a bag of golf clubs. That way it's no big deal to run into different pages. To limit yourself to NS is IMO cutting yourself off at the knees, since there are a number of sites that have broken code, will display as blank pages in the unforgiving NS. Whereas MSIE is enabling disfunctional web designers to continue butchering their code LOL. I used to be religious about my browser choice, & I would get offended/defensive when my browser was derided, just like when I was a kid & people would diss my favorite band. Hahahahah

But you know what? You don't enter a monogamous love relationship w/ your web browser. They're just tools. If one doesn't do the job on a certain page, you get the other out & use it instead. If you do web design, you should have them all at your disposal for testing purposes anyway. Unless you're in a corporate environment & you have the luxury of being able to force everyone to use the only approved browser LOL right, Marc? ;-)