Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

Arcade One

Gooberman sends word that he has released the first download for his mod, Doom Arcade, for Doom 2 and ZDoom 1.23b28. Doom Arcade is billed as a fast-paced arcade style experience of Doom and Doom 2, and this first download contains 3 maps, one for demonstration purposes and the other two playable. The site for the project is here and the first download here. Note from Ling: this project roxors my boxers. Tough as hell though.

[i]Note from Ling: this project roxors my boxers. Tough as hell though.]
On UV I can get through it trouble free half the time, the other half I get cut up by shotgun zombies before I have a chance to blink... I designed UV to be a challenge to me (there was a point where I had shitloads of shottie ammo so I thought "ok, let's half shottie ammo and make the pistol unlimited"... the best thing about that is that an unlimited pistol is more arcadey). If it is a bit hard, try it on HMP - you get 20 extra seconds to the time, less enemies, more health, the usual. The side effect to that is if you make it to map90 you'll notice some areas are closed off when compared to UV.

If you haven't seen my forum thread, maximise your screen fully (or even so that only health and ammo of selected weapon shows) and you shouldn't have that crash - your problem there is related to a bug in v1.23b28 if I'm correct.

"I need to think of a believable reason as to what the Icon of Sin is. One idea is that it's a fallen angel sent by Satan to eradicate humanity"

Hrmm... been listening to discussion thread inhabitants? =P

The Icon of Sin is the core of the evil invasion, it is the thing that spawns the demons/the place where the demons are spawned. Period.

whether or not "in thy nightmares" will be crap is not in question, but the temerity of the discussion group in actually thinking of getting such a project "official" or made into a default episode 5, is arrogance in the extreme

I despise the project not for the expected quality (which might be quite good, for all I know) but for the attitude of its members

ok, finally was able to dl this. It's quite good. Very hard to finish it in one try though because of the tight timelimit. Maybe you overdid it somewhat with the slopes... but nice overall.

That's not what I meant at all. I meant it was something during the intro sequence. Of course, it works OK now. On the ZDoom bug, I constantly have the game freeze on me with whatever sound freezing as well. Then it gets discolorated. If I'm lucky, it will return me to my desktop, but still with the discoloration. Most of the time, though, my whole 'puter freezes and I have to cold boot it. The next version of ZDoom better have this fixed!

Guest Johnny Magnum

it sucked...

well, you should know a lot about suckiness. Your pickup sound replacement gotta be the worst thing I've ever heard.

Guest Johnny Magnum

Ditto to that!! I played it and nearly killed myself because it was so annoying!!

ditto to what? I didn't complain about anything besides geocities transfer limit

Crendowing:

Sounds like you're using beta 28. You should be using beta 28a.

ftp://www.despayre.org/pub/games/doom/ports/zdoom/123beta28-333.zip

Arioch:

How is it arrogant? It's not as if any of us said that it WILL become official, we just said that we'd LIKE it to. Bit of a difference there.

And it's hardly our fault that no-one's ever tried to do this before.

geoshitties need to stick this "3 gigs of data transfer a month" shit up their ass...

I got that e-mail too... what the fuck is wrong with their servers... I don't believe my site could've dished out 3 gigs in just a couple of hours.
I get this feeling there's some slit-eyed fuck with a cable connection mass transferring to piss us off.

It's more like "if you keep on transferring this much data in this amount of time you'll easilly go over the 3 gig limit so we're gonna shut it down temporarily"... still, it needs to be shoved up their ass as quickly as possible

I agree, but how would we shove 3 gigs up Geo's ass? Do we find the webmaster and somehow shove 5 CDs up his ass? Geocities is pretty tightass for limiting t/m to 3GB so I guess the webmaster is too. Maybe we could get one of those torture weapons and stretch it... I dunno.
<font size=1><samp>I know... I'm talking crap.</samp></font>

I vote we get a clunky old HD with about 3 gig story capacity (you know, the ones the size of a lunchbox) and shove it up his ass that way :P

albeit the scripted sequences are an annoyance after the 1st time you play, imo (so replaying it in order to get to know they layout is a pain, and you have to wait over and over each time you try it even once you know the maps). in my view scripting is good for adding advanced effects that normal linedefs can't handle, but things that stop the game are a nono) thanks for the demo btw; gave me the chance to enjoy the whole thing without the hassel ;)