Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

Chaotic Update

Chris Lutz has updated the Chaos Crew pages. The news post deals with the level of detail in map 7 of "Phobos: Anomaly Reborn" and the intra-team beta of "Caverns of Darkness". It ends with two glLegacy screenshots of "Inferno" for our eyes pleasure.

WE HEARD YOU THE FIRST TIME, no wait that's not what I wanted to say... nice numbers Chris.

Guest Johnny Magnum

Go teach Granny to such eggs!!

"In honor of the fact that I have a massive Probability & Statistics final exam tomorrow."

I feel your pain... literally, I've had a perpetual lingering headache since Saturday thanks to finals.

Yeah...it kind of punched me in the balls. I don't suppose I did too badly, but just the act of taking it -- huddled over those miniscule writing surfaces that are bolted to the chair -- made me sore yesterday. Dammit.

He... I wasn't trying to brag or anything, but I did want to give a size of the level and the amount of detail. Level 7 is weird - if you strip out all the lighting, it is really pretty simple. Gameplay is definitely an exercise in depth-first searching, for those of you with CS training. Still, I am pretty proud of the way the lighting looks.

Gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme

- VERTICES: 12,302
- LINEDEFS: 15,311
- SIDEDEFS: 27,489

Pfft...

Here are the stats for Vrack 3's current ~8 rooms:

- VERTICES: 9,150
- LINEDEFS: 11,147
- SIDEDEFS: 20,468

=P

You want numbers.. I'll give you NUMBERS

Vertices : 3890
Linedefs : 4680
Sidedefs : 10219
Sectors : 375

after making 1.5 "rooms". My god.. this map will brake the limit far too early..

Depends on your definition of a room... the central room of Vrack 3 has 500 sectors and I'm about 50% done with it. =)

well the finished room wich got 4-5000 sidedefs is not very big.. it's just a passageway.. the beginning.. the toehr is rather big though.. but it's not done either..:p

Europa 2 stats: 3 rooms, of which 1 is 95% done, one is 50% done and one 70-80% done.
Yes, there will only be 3 "rooms"

vertices, 6315
lines, 8414
sides, 16338
sectors, 1840

*Warning : Bitch alert =P

But what the hell do numbers have to do with the quality of a level? Used to be only clownhats like Fiffy bragged about that kinda crapola. Don't friggin tell me it's cool now....

</bitch>

Carry on :)

It has nothing to do with the quality. Only with the size and detail level. When you're talking about authors like Lutz, fred and ebola, it's needless to say that it will be good as well.

First -- thanks; that's cool. Although stphrz has a point in that sheer size is not necessarily related to quality. I am quite certain that some folks out there are going to hate level 7 -- I'm not really giving anything away when I say that there isn't too much gameplay. It's really a staging level, sort of like the early levels in Justin Fisher's Alien conversion; darkness, emptiness, quiet...then OH MY FREAKIN' GOD WHERE THE HELL DID THAT COME FROM?!

(Or, ideally, maybe something like "Wow -- this architecture is pretty damn cool; I wonder how he did th--OH MY GOD [etc.]") I like architecture :)

Heh quite the opposite from the map I am making right now. The main thing to be afraid of there is the wake up sound when you fire a weapon, it might ruin your speakers :P

Fredrik's speedmap was the map I saw the greatest slowdown in Doom on my machine, I think. Can your editor cut and paste? =P

Well, no, I don't think either reaction is bad. I would LOVE for someone to be so spellbound by the architecture that they unwittingly get killed.

To address the first point: one of Doom's primary advantages over more recent 3D shooters is the ability to fight more than 6 monsters at a time, and most Doomers expect to be consistently bombarded (or at least get swarmed at one point during a level). Thus, a relatively empty level, monster-wise, no matter how spooky, is going to seem a little odd. *I* sure don't mind (as long as the atmosphere is good), but it could be cause for complaint.

I guess we'll see...

I would probably complain if I wasn't overwhelmed by monsters a few times in a level. IF you're gonna make it empty for most of the level, at least make the fights that actually takes place challenging.

This is of course only my opinion, and my favourite wad is hell revealed so... :P