Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

POTD

i had the book with that pic as a cover (ad&d monster manual) - never made the relation myself, but, it has to have influenced the caco

the id guys played d&d, and they even said it influenced doom; there's a spherical one-eyed monster in that game called 'beholder,' that, plus this drawing, certainly have a lot to do with how the caco ended up looking

cool find

I agree with Ling; prolly the other way around. The head seems kinda outta place, but the pic is still cool as hell! RUN DUDE RUN!!!

it may have appeared as artwork in the 2nd Ed PH, but its first appearance (1987?) was as the cover of the book i mentioned (one of the last hardcover rules for the 1st edition), which means the pic is a LOT older than doom

Could be, I don't own a MM, and my PHB is being borrowed atm so I can't check. It's been a while I last played AD&D, too.

Nevertheless, it's at least 10 years old and definately by Jeff Easley.

memories...
I started playing with the Basic Set. <gulp>
I remember when the monster manual came out... I _stopped_ playing before the expert set was made... god, I'm old. =P

Guest DooMetallicA

man, now THAT would be a cool endboss for one of the episodes of (the origiginal) Doom3. I hope there are multiple episodes...

Guest Johnny Magnum

DamN! that should be a demon boss in the NeW DooM. Alteast i think so.

Heh, I think I got almost every Ad&d 2nd edition book there is to buy.

Anyway, This potd rocks

Guest DooMetallicA

D&D blows. Vampire: The Masquerade kicks ass.

I'm sure for anyone who's never seen the Cacodemon before, that picture looks fine (well, as fine as something like that could look). But for those of us who HAVE seen the Caco, it looks like one, just with arms and legs attached.

Well, it just looks sort of odd to me.

Guest DooMetallicA

Thats what Caco's looked like before their heads were dissattached from their bodies...but why do they fly??? oh welll..

Caco = ugly
Man = ...man
Cacod-man and ugly man
Cacodeman...its not human!

Dominate 2: Mesmerize ... 5 roll successes

I command you to ... crow like a cock every morning at sunrise

I once read in an interview with John Romero that the guys at id used to play a lot of D&D in the early days. The monsters in Doom clearly got a lot of their inspiration from the monsters in D&D. Total originality is an extremely rare thing. If it exists at all.

Guest Excalibur_Z

Exactly right. Actually when I saw the thumbnail I thought "what the, that just looks like the Cacodemon sprite pasted onto some weird image" but the full picture meshes much better =)

I've seen the "beholder" before.
In "Big Trouble in Little China"

I wonder if this monster dates back to chinese or otherwise ancient mythology.