Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

Earthbound Mod Beta

Cecil sent word that he has uploaded a beta of an EDGE mod for Doom/Doom 2 based on the old SNES game Earthbound. This beta release contains status bar, player and weapons sprites replacements, with some new sounds and a few levels populated with monsters from Hexen.

Guest Mizzory

This looks cool, well the screenshots such as "paula looking around the den in the outside of her room." I've tried making RPGs out of doom, and I was never successful(Since I am not a coder) and I have heard other people saying they will make RPG doom projects, so far this looks better than all of them(since I havn't seen any others). It's hard to imagine how the final will look like.

Rinnnnnnng Rinnnnnnng.

"Hello Cecil, this is your dad. I put $20 in your bank account. You've been working hard on your EBDoom mod. Maybe you should take a break...."

Fah :) It's been years since I played that game. I can't remember exactly how those conversations went, but I think you get the idea ;)

Mother/Mother2 are some of the greatest. It's one of those ultimate games that only a few people seem to know about, like Master of Magic or the quest mode on Genesis Gauntlet4.

The only thing that gave me pause was the revolting anime face I saw where "Paula's" mug was supposed to be. Whatever the original emphasis or nature of the Mother series was, to me it was always- Charlie Brown with psychic powers and his All-American-Alien-Asswhooping team.

The 'chick' doesn't have be homely, but she should be beautiful in a simple and humble way, not a pedophile-lust demon-eyes way. And she certainly shouldn't be the main character!

Good luck with this however. You're obviously doing more work than me. I would humbly suggest that you draw at least as much content or inspiration from the original Mother as well. Earthbound was fantastic, but it was still a slight bastardization of the original. (Kind of the like the SNES metroid/contra/square games, etc.)

Guest Nash

Someone should make a Castlevania-like Doom mod.

Guest Cacodemon Leader

and she certainly shouldn't be the main character!

I have read in the readme file that Ness will be inserted into the game, and will most likely be the main character.

Also Cecil, if you are reading this, credit me for using that Itemup pickup sound from Cacodemon Squad okay?

Please somone remind (inform) us what EarthBound was all about!

Also why release Beta publicly and not just give to play testers. Just knocks the surprises out of it. Playing the final release of Resurection after having the beta on my drive for a year or two kinda removed the surprise from a lot of it.

I plan to release a demo of Aliens: Killer, but not a collection of lumps and DDF files (although it is far past that description).
Come to think of it, I only have one person who has played it..!

Earthbound and sonic on the doom engine, wow , what next crono trigger on the doom engine(omg that whould be so cool but probly whould never work out correctly so)

It's always fun to talk about games you like.

The basic gameplay is exactly like Dragon Warrior. You buy/find equipment and items, learn 'spells,' and fight enemies in a turn based system. The map is mostly continuous, and you can see and avoid the monsters most of the time if you want.

The artistic element is what makes the game stand out. The theme is roughly equivalent to a 50s era American horror film. It's a little bit spooky and bizarre, but mostly it's just funny and silly.

The main character can only be described as Charlie Brown with psychic powers. The other difference is that he's not a sadsack like Chuck. You start in your well-adjusted Americana homestead, complete with doggy and loving mom. (Mommy's initially absent in the original Mother.) Dad also seems to have a LOT of cash stashed away somewhere. :)

The things you encounter include meteorites, zombies, hippies, robots, aliens, sea monsters, dinosaurs, FBI agents, hotel clerks, mummies, dungeon designers, arcade thugs, nerdy friends, trains, UFOs, pizza delivery men, and of course, traveling musicians.

Naturally, what makes a game like this truly memorable is the music and sound effects. In a FF or DW game the music attempts to be both thematic and appealing, but the Mother music generally seems to be focused entirely on setting a mood. There might not be much of the sort of music you would listen to on its own, but everything enhances the game incredibly well.

In fact, one song from the original Mother is essentially my favorite VG song, which is saying alot. I think it's called 'Because I love you.' It's the song for the town of Reindeer, and also the theme song for the girl.

You should play both if you can tolerate turn based RPGs.