Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #63

Two more WAD files are processed this week, the sixty-third week covering the new happenings arriving at Newstuff.

• DM-Morpheus Wannabe by Mike Blakely - (img) - This is a very interesting deathmatch map for Doom 2. It's a big outdoor area, with three somewhat tower-like small castles. You jump from place to place in this low-gravity environment. Surrounding the "castles" below are green slime nukage pits, and the sky is the standard Doom 2 Map01 sky. Every weapon is available on the map, and a high-rise Megasphere is available with a little bit of skilled jumping. There is also a pretty good, shall I say, "heavy techno" MOD music replacement included. It should make for some fun deathmatch. Requires ZDoom.
  • One On One by Richard J. Sham - (img) - One simple map for Doom 2. While it has very basic, primitive rooms, with odd textures and little light or height variation, the map is oddly alluring. Perhaps it's because the gameplay is somehow refreshingly different, creeping through hallways, punching away at imps with your berserk pack, searching for health. Very classic-addon style. The challenge is good as well. It can get a bit frantic on the higher skill levels, and the lower skill levels are just as they should be. There's a decent music replacement as well.

The music replacment is stolen from Unreal Tournament, been renamed and has a high pitched wave form slapped in the middle. That is cheeky shit. Why not make your own music? Just bring the Mod scene down with you.

Also this isn't Heavy Techno (I have never heard of that anyhow), it would be Techno/Metal.

not bad map. This is also very Unreal Tournament, which isn't a bad thing, but I just can't get past the music rip!

If you read the .txt file, it actually says that the music is from Unreal Tournament. It's also been available on Trax in Space for ages.

It's also a map from UT. I think the conversion to Doom is pretty cool.

Why do you guys whine about how the music is "stolen" from another game? Surely you have made wads that use midi from sources other than Doom.

Guest Captain Napalm

techno sucks

Guest Virgil_

Hey, I've just tried to upload something and.. The /pub/idgames/incoming folder isn't there anymore. Can someone tell me an alternative to where I can upload a 2.3+ megabyte zip file for everyone to download? (It's my Christmas gift to you all :) )

Virgil

Guest Virgil_

No... I mean teh 3darchives idgames incoming folder is NOT THERE.. That's scary..

Guest Virgil_

Correction... The file is actually around 2.5 to 2.6 megs. Now can someone PLZ tell me a good site to upload this to! :)

Virgil

Guest Virgil_

Oh 3dgamers.com, not archives.. that might be helpful :) Lemme try..

Virgil

Guest Virgil_

Niice.. It finally let me in. The cwd on my ftp prog is "/.1/idgames/incoming". I hope that's the correct path.

Guest Virgil_

ALright, its done. Now all thats left is to wait for it in /newstuff. Hopefully, /newstuff will get updated BEFORE the beginning of 25th...

Virgil

Virgil!

Not sure if this is what your looking for but here's how I upload to the new site:
Assume the txt and wad files are virgil.txt and virgil.zip on the c: root.

Start/Run - type:
ftp
At prompt type:
open archives.3dgamers.com
user = anonymous
password = Your email address
(set directory) cd pub/idgames/incoming
Type: ascii (use for text file)
put c:virgil.txt
Type: bin (use binary for zip)
put c:virgil.zip
dir (to view files uploaded)
quit

Guest Virgil_

Ah, the ol'-fashioned MS-DOS way.. I just use ws-ftp95 nowadays.

Oh yeah -> some new info on what I uploaded:

1) 4 levels in all plus a semi-new ending
2) Mod music for every level
3) ACS scripting
4) New, never before seen weapon replacements for plasma gun and bfg
5) A new storyline.

That's about all you'll get out of me. I don't want to spoil it.

Virgil

Actually, I also use ws_ftp but in that case my host name/address is: 3darchives.in-span.net and after going to /pub/idgames there is no incoming but newstuff is there. I tried /.1/idgames/incoming as my host name/address but it didn't work.

That's why I ended up with DOS :)

Guest Virgil_

You're making the same mistake I did. Use ftp.3dgamers.com instead of 3darchives.in-span.net and then just clik on idgames and find the /incoming folder.

Its ftp.3dgamers.com, NOT 3darchives.in-span.net

Don't know why, but it just is

Virgil

Virgil!

Thank you! That seems to work. I just couldn't get through because of too many ftp user.