Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lobo

Zdoom/Edge/JDoom

Attention Source port coders!!

I want a port that:

a) has all the Eye-candy of JDoom(including the MD2 models)
b) runs as fast and as stable as ZDoom
c) has all of EDGEs DDF and RTS stuff

Anyone out there got A LOT of free time on their hands and great coding skills? Would it be that complicated to add the DDF support to ZDoom, for example?

lol... jdoom is gay... it draws retarded circles around the lightsources....

Those "retarded circles" are called lens flares. I don't really see the point of adding a lens flare everytime a zombie fires his pistol at you, but I understand it the lens flare comes from say, a torch.

DoomBoy..... a little fact about optics.... you don't see lensflares unless you are looking through an external lens, (ie. a lens that is not the lens in your eye)... and they only appear under certain circumstances.... in jdoom the retarded circles (which don't even look like lensflares) appear wherever there is a lightsource.

Lens flare/light halo

Whatever you want to call 'em, I like 'em!

Lens flare is the most annoying feature in a video game to me. Like schepe said, you onyl get them when viewing light thorugh another lens...and yeah it sucks cause in some games they put it in, when you are viewing the vortual world through a human eye...

If you don't like the lens flares in JDoom just disable them instead of complaining about them.

boris said:

If you don't like the lens flares in JDoom just disable them instead of complaining about them.

You can?

/me slaps forehead

I never knew this. I am stupid.

Yeah I turned the lens flares off, and while I was at it I turned those goddamn retarded particles off too. The particle rocket trails not only block my vision but knock a good 10-20 fps off my framerate.

JDoom is actually one of the few games where lens flares make sense. The Doom marine is, after all, wearing a helmet with a visor.

I don't mind the lens flares (why do people complain about such small things?) and yes, you CAN disable them - both in the game and in the cfg file iirc.
ZDoom stable? If it is so stable, why does it happen to be so darn unstable on my comp? If I play ZDoom much longer than 1 hour (maybe even after half an hour), there's a major risk of ZDoom freezing on me. That's not what I call stable.

And yes, I have the newest version of the ZDoom beta.

And yes, a ZDoom/JDoom merged port would rock - JDoom's plasma rifle effects looks so damn sweet that it makes Q3A's plasma effects look like shit (especially when the plasma explodes against a solid object), but ZDoom has many other neat features.

I shouldn't have opened my mouth about ZDooms stability: Lately that blaggard crashes on me all over the place.

How about "as stable as vanilla Doom" instead?

;-)

Lobo said:

I shouldn't have opened my mouth about ZDooms stability: Lately that blaggard crashes on me all over the place.

How about "as stable as vanilla Doom" instead?

;-)

Vanilla Doom is so far the most stable "version" of Doom that I've tried - every source port I've tried crashes sometimes - Vanilla Doom only crashes once every blue moon (i.e. that's a very rare occasion).

dsm said:

Vanilla Doom is so far the most stable "version" of Doom that I've tried - every source port I've tried crashes sometimes - Vanilla Doom only crashes once every blue moon (i.e. that's a very rare occasion).

CORRECTION. Boom is the most stable, it removes some of the limitations of Doom (such as the visplane overflow crash). Heck, even the Windows version (PRBoom) is stable!

I turn off the lens flares. They are retarded.

But I like the way you can add a wholly new atmosphere to a level by using thing light sources instead of sector lighting.

DooMBoy said:

Those "retarded circles" are called lens flares. I don't really see the point of adding a lens flare everytime a zombie fires his pistol at you, but I understand it the lens flare comes from say, a torch.

The new version of Jdoom has more realistic lens flares. The zombies no longer have lens flares, and just the lights and torches do.

plus, like everyone said, you can disable lens flares...

dsm said:

I have never had Jdoom crash on me...
Zdoom seems to crash 50% of the time that it is loading up. I have sometimes played through levels for hours at a time using Jdoom and it always runs fine.

ZDoom has NEVER EVER EVER EVER crashed on me. JDoom has NEVER EVER
EVER EVER ran successfully for me. There's a reason I use ZDoom; it
is stable, compatible with the original Doom, has tons of cool (but
optional, for the doom purist) features, and doesn't slow down the
computer with tons of visual effects.

Doom is not the kind of game where it should take an ultra-powerful
processor with state-of-the-art 3D cards to run. It should run on a
P133 w/ Windows 98 and 8MB of video RAM. ZDoom can do that; JDoom...
can't.

ZDoom is plenty stable for me. The last time it's ever crashed on a regular basis was the few betas right after slopes support was put in to 1.23. ... crashes which I then helped debug and fix.

The latest b33 has yet to crash on me. Ever.

VolteFace said:

ZDoom has NEVER EVER EVER EVER crashed on me. JDoom has NEVER EVER
EVER EVER ran successfully for me. There's a reason I use ZDoom; it
is stable, compatible with the original Doom, has tons of cool (but
optional, for the doom purist) features, and doesn't slow down the
computer with tons of visual effects.

Doom is not the kind of game where it should take an ultra-powerful
processor with state-of-the-art 3D cards to run. It should run on a
P133 w/ Windows 98 and 8MB of video RAM. ZDoom can do that; JDoom...
can't.

I guess it all depends on what computer you have. If you have a Geforece3 with a 1.3 ghz processor like me, you wouldnt want to have Zdoom when Jdoom looks so much better. I guess since you have a slow computer you HAVE to run Zdoom. The only reason Jdoom is unstable on your computer is because you can't run it due to the lack of a good 3d card, so don't blame the Jdoom engine for being unstable. Jdoom has NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER crashed on me, and for some reason Zdoom DOES. So it all depends on your computer, so don't flame Jdoom just because it crashes on your system.

Edit: For me, Zdoom is too old to run on my system. Things act weird and don't look right because my system is too fast or something. It crashes only about 10 minutes running it, and the sounds starts screwing up on me.

The /er2 said:

Edit: For me, Zdoom is too old to run on my system. Things act weird and don't look right because my system is too fast or something. It crashes only about 10 minutes running it, and the sounds starts screwing up on me.

wtf? I don't think your system is too fast for zdoom. I have a P4 1.7 and a Geforce 4 Ti 4600. It runs like a charm. No problem what-so-ever. You just don't have a properly configured system!

(it's always nice to have a decent port discussion :))

you wouldnt want to have Zdoom when Jdoom looks so much better....
...so don't flame Jdoom just because it crashes on your system.

You are being hipocritical. You flame ZDoom, tell me that "I don't want
ZDoom, because JDoom looks better", and then go on and tell me not
to flame JDoom. You like one, I like the other. What is it to you which
one I use?

VolteFace said:

You are being hipocritical. You flame ZDoom, tell me that "I don't want
ZDoom, because JDoom looks better", and then go on and tell me not
to flame JDoom. You like one, I like the other. What is it to you which
one I use?

I DIDN'T tell you which one to use! I'm just telling you not to flame the one you don't use. When did I flame Zdoom? I was just saying facts about why I like Jdoom better. Flaming would be saying something like "Zdoom is stupid and has sorry graphics" I never said anything like that!

The /er2 said:

Flaming would be saying something like "Zdoom is stupid and has sorry graphics" I never said anything like that!

your being optomistic(sp?) a pessimist would say that "Zdoom is stupid and has sorry graphics". youre saying the optomistic way by saying jdoom is good and has better graphics. so technically, youre flaming zdoom.

legacy

(port wars are gay)