Linguica

Alien Vendetta Released

Guest j00 equals ded

Jonathan

Email
Homepage
Reply to this post
"Andrewb:" posted Monday Dec 24 03:15:05 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're a fucking idiot
la dee fucking da

classic

Guest Pirx

something to drool over at compet-n...

:)

Guest Virgil_

I've just finished playing some of the levels of Alien Vendetta. The gameplay reminds me of Plutonia, Reqiuem, and HR/HR2. This is one helluva megawad. I haven't had this much fun with a megawad since Darkening 2. The higher the levels, the scarcer the ammo and the more relentless the onslaughts (just the way I like it). So far, I'm really having a VERY merry Christmas thx to this wad :) Let's not forget one of its most important aspects: the new music. The new music really sets the mood as it plays on in the background, whispering to your subconscious as your conscious fights off wave after wave of Hellspawn.. Finally, the architecture is a lot like that of Reqiuem and Darkening 2; it looks very good AND it doesn't use up a ridiculous amount of linedefs and sectors. I haven't played all of it yet, but from what I can tell, even if you got a 56K modem or less, I think this is well worth the download.

Virgil

The playtesters beat all the maps, IIRC.
if not, just give Chris and Anders a little more time... =P
Personally, I keep making stupid mistakes on Map14... I swear, it will be mine!

I've made it to map 30. Right before I get the megasphere (or whatever its called) the game crashes! (I'm using Zdoom)

These are some real SWEET maps. I'm using Zdoom and haven't had any crashes. I'll have to play up to map30 and see for sure tho

kickass maps!

Unless it's a really old version of ZDoom, av map30 will cause it to crash, no doubt about it.

OK, so I've now tried this with Legacy, PrBoom, Zdoom and vanilla Doom2.exe, and the only one that doesn't crash when I try to save is doom2.exe. Unfortunately, I don't get any sound when I use the vanilla executable (the lack of sound thing is not an AV-related issue, it's always the case).

Optimally, I would like to play using PrBoom, since it gives me the best sound performance. Anyone got any ideas how to bludgeon this thing into submission, or will I be stuck with just watching other people's LMPs? (which is pretty cool in and of itself, come to think of it)

I've beat it. To get past the bug, just idclip a little bit past the megasphere then take it off. When I fought the boss, I had to use a rocket on the way up, and a rocket when I jumped off. It took many tries since I couldn't lower the inviso platform again due to the other platforms that bring you up to the inviso platform switch not being close enough to the switch that lowers them. Is it another glitch?

I use prBoom for AV, and I've had no problems. The menu is screwed up, though:
The "save game" menu is the one right under "new game", and the "load game menu" is two slots under the "new game" (right under the "save game")

Ignore what the menu actually SAYS; it bears almost no resemblence to how the menu is really organized.

PrBoom can save AV, no problems.
Try editing your .cfg and set your compatibility level properly (-1 works for me).

I saved using Zdoom, Legacy without any problems, too.

Interestingly, I've found that prboom works fine if I access "Save Game" through the F2 key, but crashes when I access it through the menus (where it is labelled as "Options", for some reason). In any case, I now can get on with playing. And probably dying a lot, based on what everybody is saying!

odd, that thing about the menus being mixed up; prboom, like boom and mbf allows you to use its usual menu setup, or to rearrange it as close as possible to doom's (i do this when running mbf); i'm refering to the 'trditional_menu' cfg setting. maybe this is screwed up in prboom, cause the menu resources in AV arent mixed up or anything

make sure you have the latest version of prboom (2.2.2)

prboom can only save properly when set to its own 'compatibility level' (not doom.exe or boom.exe or mbf.exe or whatever compatibility level). i use 7 in the config file, that seems to work fine. and I always use F2 to save, going through the menus is a waste of time :). hope everyone's playing on UV, yes? oh, and to the guy who said later levels don't have enough ammo from a scratch start - you did get 100% secrets on all those levels didn't you? the textfile notes that you need to get all secrets to have sufficient ammo for a scratch run on most levels.

For some very strange reason, the av guys decide to put all the menu commands in the m_doom graphic, rather than in seperate ones like they normally are.

This means that the menu will be screwed up in pretty much anything other than doom2.exe

imo, the av team should release a small pwad with the fixed menu (and a deh patch changing map names and intermisiion texts - why take up the work of changing the intermission font to orange while leaving the text unchanged?)

as a matter of fact, having brought this up, i'll contribute it myself, if the team agrees but isn't willing to do it itself

Geez these levels are nuts! So much craziness, I mean I thought the seceret levels 31 and 32 were nuts especially 32 when I cleared out every sucker, I come into another area of madness. But I just finished level 24 and man, I only cleared 74 % of the enemies and it took me 54 minutes [Hurt Me Plenty], of all the levels though level 20 was overkill, nice design though.

Levels 6, 17, 18 were the ones I liked. They were planned out nicely. The later levels are just pure carnage, some decent design, and some really good architecture but with so much carnage some of the design innovation got lost, 26 had great design but lots of craziness. 24 was crazy and ugly. Big square rooms are too much sometimes. But overall I like this WAD since it helps pass the time during the holidays but I doubt I will play it again, alone, I intend to go through with 2-play Co-op.

Well, I'm only up to level 4 (mmm... pretty Knee Deep sections), on a-setting-other-than-UV, so I can't really comment on favourite levels, yet.

I must say I am surprised to see the level I contributed to ending up as map12. Either Brad boosted the monster count in a big way, or that will be a nice 'breather' for most people.

As for 'sup, you know how it is ... you get a new job, you finish uni, you try out another obsession for a year or so (fanfic, in my case), but you always come back to Doom :-)

Now if only I could just find the motivation to make a level, things would be great. Any good projects-in-progress floating around?

I really liked map 31. I've gotta try to make something like that. I also liked:
map 05 - crimson tide - Pretty and played well.
map 06 - hillside siege - It was just plain good.
map 10 - toxic touch - I really liked the design.
map 26 - dark dome - It was a challenge and good looking.
map 29 - fire walk with me - One of the best hell themed levels I've ever played.

Great maps, fun play. I do not know how some of those can be completed in UV, can't wait to see some LMP's of this wad.

If you can do these with no extra ammo or health and not cheating you are a stud.

I had several crashes in map 18 near the end, in the last courtyard, with ZDoom.

This wad is a keeper for sure.