Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #64

A pleasant six new WAD files are brought to us this week, as we celebrate yet another edition of the new things found in Newstuff.

• Death Murder Kill by Philip Renshaw - (img) - A simple modification, one new map for Doom 2. It has thin, dark hallways, and open areas, without any detail and with lots of strange texture combinations. Playability isn't all that special. Monsters and ammunition thrown into the map. There isn't enough health or ammo to go around. That's about it.
  • Sureal: The First Wave Of Stupidity by Johnny Magnum - A somewhat large collection of modified sprites and homemade sounds. A variety of graphics, mostly weapon and player graphic replacements. And then a generous collection of voice-produced sounds. It could be a bit interesting.
  • The Lost Seraphim by Virgil - (img) (img) - This is a very impressive four-level modification for Doom 2. Although quite difficult, this WAD drives you into a rich, demonic world. The maps look absolutely beautiful, with just the right amount of detail. Ammo and health is balanced quite well, although the occasional ambush of monsters may be simply overwhelming for some people. Lots of great scripts are used in this WAD, and four excellent MOD music replacements are used. Requires ZDoom.
  • Die by Inferno - (img) - One map for Doom 2. Two Cyberdemons, a Spiderdemon, and a Romero head. Oh yes, and a BFG. Very simple stuff.
  • Underworld Beta - Release 3 by Various Authors - (img) (img) - The quality goes on. This is a nine-level modification for Doom 2. The detail in these maps are somewhat sub-par, but the architecture and playability is right up there. Ammo and health is balanced very well all around, and some well-placed scripts keep the game refreshing and entertaining. There are a few good music replacements as well. Requires ZDoom.
  • 1500AD by Jaime Landauer - (img) - One map for Ultimate DOOM this time. This level is pretty much average. A variety of indoor and outdoor areas, some slime-filled tunnels, and a few minor puzzles to solve. It puts up a reasonable challenge. Music from E1M5 is used.

I playtester this map and recorded it in both UV and Hurt Me Plenty and it's easy to get killed either way. I was able to find sufficient health and ammo.

If you care for a tough challenge UV is quite difficult as there are many traps. Rambo style is out and strategy must be used or you'll soon be dead.

Hurt Me Plenty is easier, even though you do face the same number of monsters; however, you will have the plazma gun at this skill level which allows for more spontaneous play.

One blue and one yellow door will open with the keys while a second yellow and blue door will also require finding and activating a switch.

I try to record when playtesting so I can experience various traps and other situations. Well, after starting with UV, I soon had my money's worth and died more often than usual. Once the layout became familar it was fun to play and beat. Of course it was much easier with the plazma gun.

Remember: Strategy in UV and Rambo in HMP!

Guest pablodictter

only the good ones.

Guest peroxyd2s

why AV isn't in this review ?

The detail in these maps are somewhat sub-par, play the architecture and playability is right up there.

Huh?

Cren: I wasn't whining. I was informing others so that they don't download it and think it's that inferno piece of crap.

Guest Captain Napalm

Isn´t Murder Death Kill as in MDK? :)
Great game that.

Guest Black Knight

MDK was horrible and I doubt I'll ever pay any attention to it again.

Was MDK the game released by Shiny, Interplay, and Playmate?

I just looked it up and the reviewer said it was wonderful. I never played it so I have no idea - just curious.

Reviewers are stupid..

MDK was the super hyped game that was looking so godawfully boring that it's uglyness only was outnumbered by it's terribly crappy and tideous gameplay (in being godawful). Another game comes to min when I think about MDK's crappyness.

The Fortress of Dr. Radiaki. (still had some humour in it though)

And Murder Death Kill was what they called a homicide in that silly future city in Demolition Man. It seems fairly obvious that's where they got the name for the game from.

Thanks!

Guess I won't be buying that one.

I tried the Serious Sam Second Encounter demo and I will be buying that in mid-month. Can't beat it for $20 bucks.

It's not Doom (my favorite) but SS and RTCW give us some idea of the graphics, weapons, and mobility, along with RTCW's AI, that we can expect to see in Doom3.

"Surreal: The First Wave of Stupidity"

I fear the second wave. This wad's really stupid, as the title suggests. It's quite funny in parts, except for all the ripoffs.

The sounds can be funny, like the monsters constantly whining "Where is he?" and their death sounds bring to my mind the image of a mule eating an apple.
(*Slop* *crunch* *slobber* *slurp* *crunch*)

And to save your mind from exploding in revulsion, don't check out the weapon replacements.

But, but, what about the world's most interesting bomb? That was brilliant! I'm still waiting for some bright lad to script something similar into ZDoom or something. =)

Guest Captain Napalm

No way, MDK is an excellent fast paced action game, but when you get so hung up on GFX like Ebola I guess you might not like it.
And anyway The makers never confirmed that MDK stands for Murder Death Kill.
There also rumors that it means Max, Doctor whatshisname and Kurt, as those are the main characters in the story.

Guest Fiend

The GFX wasn't so good but the rest of it was Okay.

The second MDK sucked badly. very,very Badly.

The Lost Seraphim.....more than laudable, IMO. The music, especially for Map01, kicked ass IMO. Thank you and good night.