Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #66

A modest two new WADs this week, yet another week focusing on the newest things uploaded to Newstuff.

• The Rakehell by Joe Meszaros - (img) - This is a very interesting three-level modification for Doom 2. Taking place in rather large maps, this WAD starts out relatively easy. Picking off Zombiemen with your pistol. It slowly works its way up into a more challenging and fun game. Not much detail in any of these maps, with lots of plain rooms, flat walls and random light levels, but it makes up for it by generally having a unique, refreshing, wide-open feel, with seldom-used atmospheres such as huge outdoor storage areas and wide-open dark underground pools. It has three distinct music replacements as well as a couple of monster replacements. Requires ZDoom.
  • Death Base by Simon Judd - (img) - One map for Doom 2 this time. This is a medium-large sized map, without any particular theme. Lots of indoor and outdoor areas, a variety of textures. There's more than enough ammo to go around, although health can be hard to find. Not much detail in the map, although textures are aligned reasonably well. It has a less-than-impressive music replacement.

Guest Captain Napalm

You sure did.

Guest Chris

Sorry for posting this here in the /newstuff comments thread, but no matter WHO of you guys at DW I try to mail, they get thrown back to my face immediately. There's no way of me being able to tell you about the update on http://home13.inet.tele.dk/CNH and no other way of asking you to post the news other than saying it here on a comments thread.

Now I can only hope that one of you DW guys read this.....

Again sorry for waisting space here,

Chris Hansen
The DooMer's RecesS

Have you tried e-mailing directly to one of the guys (linguica, arioch, julian) instead of news@doomworld.com ?

Guest Chris

Yep! I can't get through to any of them. I think it's got something to do with my internet company, 'cause it seems like everyone else can e-mail @doomworld.com.

i heard something about a bug or error sending out that message even though the messages are received (i could be mistaken but i'm practically sure)

Guest Chris

http://home13.inet.tele.dk/CNH is only a temporary home for the site until the DoomCenter hosted sites servers are back online (hopefully). All the main pages are uploaded to the temp address, not every review; sorry! It's just that all links and such are DC related and I'd rather not have the reviews accessible other than changing and uploading every review; that would be half the service you'd expect. Irritating, I know, but I'm probably not going to change it.
Thanks for asking/noticing!

Guest Chris

..."ups, vi kan ikke finde siden!" means, for those you don't understand danish: "Oops, we can't find the page!"

Guest Chris

Wow!, three posts in a row!

No, it's just because it should have said: "...for those OF you WHO don't..."

Makes more sense that way ;-)

Could you be a BIT more critical when reviewing newstuff? I downloaded "rakehell" following your description as "This is a very interesting three-level Modification for Doom 2", and its the worst thing I have downloaded of newstuff in ages.

I know its disheartening to have to say of someone hard work that it "sucks" or whatever, but if this is "very interesting", and seeing that you use hardly any different wordings for absolutely amazing wads (of which there have been some recently too), how is anyone supposed to be able to gauge the quality of a wad from your reviews?

The point of newstuff chronicles is that it saves us time not having to try the crap ones (atleast thats how I use it)... so bit more variety in ratings (no I am not asking for numbers) would be cool. Don't make every wad sound "decent" for the sake of the author alone.

Another idea would be to sort wads from best to worst, roughly, to help the readers in selection. Not that this would help much in a week with only 2 entries.