Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

POTD

And no, this has nothing to do with Muffin Legacy, which was featured as yesterday's POTD.

Guest sponge

Pocket Legacy (he's calling it that now) is going to kick this port's ass. Coming from the PocketPC community, MachineWorks so far has been a disgrace, offering poor quality games at a high price. No demo too. There's a little debate going on at pocketgamer.org in the news thread for the item. Apparently MachineWorks are saying that Rob (the author of Pocket Legacy) better not release any source, even though he's really required to. Pocket Legacy is going to be worth looking forward to.

-sponge

Guest sponge

I was almost sure he had to. I'll never understand some companies. "Pocket Legacy: Make sure you don't release modified source files..."

BTW, an early beta of Pocket Legacy has been released, only for the Jornada 720 HPC though, no PocketPC port yet. Sadly I only have an iPaq so it'll be a little longer.

Guest DooMetallicA

2 things can be said about this picture...

1: the pic on the left is from the 4th episode of UDoom, level 3 I believe.

2: the pc on the right is from the last level of episode 3 of Doom 1, and judging by how close Doom Guy is to that she-bitch, I'd say he has God Mode on, also there is no blood on the screen, that is another indicator.

I have no idea what level the middle one is.

Guest DooMetallicA

wait..is the middle one the last level too?

From what I can see, playing Doom on a pocket PC looks veryd amn hard. Wouldn't have the press the buttons with a pen to move or shoot? How would you strafe at the same time... unless you get one of those small keyboards for it, I don't know how in the name it is even playable.

PocketPCs generally have some actual buttons below the screen area. Those can be configured as controls for various things, including games.

Guest NunoC

Can a PPC recognize more than one screen presses at a time?

How many megabytes can a pocket pc traditionally hold nowadays? The last time I checked it could have up to 8 mb. Hmm, maybe the lower resolution took off a lot of the graphical detail which in turn lowered the bandwith and data streams of the game.

Did they just transmit the game onto the pocket pc or did they have to entirely re-code everything? It does not seem difficult but it looks like a lengthy process. Maybe if they were to do it on a Windows "based" pocket pc it would have been much more easily acquired. But I can't tell if this damn thing is going a Palm or the little Compaq things they have. Unless, they were to use open gl. Even if that was the case how would they process the graphics and have it fast enough to not have any momentary slowdown? Also, I doubt there are any good graphics gui's for the little shits anyway.

Guest sponge

It's actually quite natural playing PocketQuake/other FPSes on the PocketPC. Pen does Mlook, and with the iPaq, it's a lifesaver as it can only register one button press at a time. Doom and Wolf are still playable with that downfall.

PPCs can only recognize one screen tap.

Palm OS can only hold 8mb. PocketPC have a full FAT32 FS, and most have 32mb or 64mb built in, with the possibility of compactflash cards on some devices up to 1GB.

PocketPCs use almost the same API as Windows, so if you can develop for Windows, you can develop for PocketPC (that's one of their selling points)

Hope I was able to help.

-sponge

Guest sponge

Forgot to mention, all PocketPCs run a res of 240x320. This PDADoom only seems to support portrait mode (unconfirmed), but Pocket Legacy can be run in landscape, allowing for a full display. It also has more than enough power, even for splitscreen play (too bad it's useless)

In comparison, PalmOS, the biggest maker (as of right now) have either 160x160 res screens (in pretty much all devices) 240x320 (Handera 330) or 320x320 (Sony Clie) They use a relatively weak processor, the Motorola Dragonball, ranging from 16-33mhz

Guest laff

....................lol

Thanks. Its just the fact that I havnt really payed much attention to the hand held technology tree. Oh well, I get it now.

Guest Virgil_

Uh... okay.. ... ...

Guest DooMetallicA

I was only wrong about the first pic :)

Guest Rick Clark

Just a note on the source: if they licensed Doom from id, they don't have to release the source. If they are using the GPL'd version, then they have to release the source (or be sued). It depends on what version they are using.

Apparently the DoomPDA guy isn't aware of that. Pocket Legacy is ported from Doom Legacy and therefore is under the GPL, the author of that port is obligated to release the source.

Apparently DoomPDA uses source licensed from id, and he is not obliged to do so.

That being said, I know which port I'd pick. It's a very easy comparison to make: DoomPDA likely uses its own data files, costs money, and will only have normal Doom features, AND will compromise on the levels (see sky in E3M8), while Pocket Legacy will support (nearly?) everything Doom Legacy already does.