Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

Scripted Scenario Creation

Svitlana Shalimova sends word of a Game Script Language (G-Script for short), a product of Graf Semper Lab which claims to be "a tool for creating diverse game situations." The first applied use of the script language is for Doom, so head on over and take a look.

WTH is this? The black manifesto? $28.00 for registering? sending the money to the home address of the company president?

The site doesn't give you any real info.
It uses a bunch of vaguely descriptive words that tell you nothing.

I guess I'll have to try it out to see what it does.
This better be good.

I assume they modded the Doom source, which is under the GPL, so where's the source to Doom G-Script?

-Dan

Hey, has anyone figured out what it actually *does* yet? I downloaded it, but I'm afraid to waste my time with installing it if it does something stupid. Oh well, might as well, I've got nothing better to do.

Guest Rick Clark

This appears to be a scenario editor for a wad file. You can create a script that when executed will randomly set up a wad file to play. The program seems well done, but I don't think they realize that you could do the same thing in ACS (and the other scripting engines I assume), and in Aard's WadC program. Other than adding a debugger, I am not sure why I would want to use this over ACS.

I can't believe that I downloaded it. I couldn't make it work, I followed the instructions but nothing happened. Anyway the description of the program sound boring, randomize the textures and things in a Wad? Why could I want to do that? If I want a quikly new level I can use Slige.
I can't believe that they use our beloved DOOM for such a really really really f*ck*ng program, sacrilege!

I haven't downloaded it, but this looks like a joke (or even worse, a scam) to me. I hope someone can prove me wrong.

"but this looks like a joke"

Ah good, it's not just me then. Definitely something weird about the site. All that cheesy, safe pseudo corporate stuff with bland logos and sincere pictures ultimately saying absolutely nothing at all.

Yeah, exactly. This must be a joke or something.

Heh, maybe they took the source of that thing randomizer that was around when Doom was young, and modified it to have a GUI :P

quite clear what it is. It tells you in the help file and on the website, but Slige is more fun, free and gives the source code.

Yeah me too.The first weird thing I noticed was the mis-calling of 'Smoke On the Water' 'Smoke In the Water'.An ancient looking hippy like that guy should know much better.

Have a look on the philosophy page.SOTW's great Frank Zappa of course.Yeah that site's a laff.

Guest Jacob

About Doom G-Script:
It seems I understood how it works:
1. Run Doom G-Script.
2. Play a script ("Alone) that comes with it.
3. When you are dead, exit Doom and repeat 1-3

If you are able to go through the game to the end (all monsters are dead) somewhere in the middle you will understand what all of this about...

Has somebody already won ?

Guest Simon

Yeah, It is important to exit Doom and run Doom G-Script again... Situation will be different, but not completely... It seems like monsters are lead by somebody.

The first step is to get the rocket launcher, but it is hard...

Guest Jacob

This level has its own brain. When you are teleported it is importent to kill guys on the left (if they appear, but it is not very often)- otherwise they will open the door at the end of the corridor - in this case you are dead for sure.

Tarin: When I saw your post I was thinking: "Didn't he see that I answered that already?" Then I saw what I wrote... :-) I merged ACC and ACS... Anyway, even the two fake posts below ("Simon" and "Jacob") are probably from those people.