Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

Death Finally Came Along

This is a fun level. Pablo Dictter has a very nice talent with utilizing textures and flats in ways that make the ordinary spectacular. I was hit several times just marveling at those round, red lights on the ceilings. Bravo.

Guest Zeurkous

I just played it, but got a visplane overflow just a pixel around the corner at the first hallway. Maybe source ports are for fuckers, but this one causes a error that most source ports avoid :)

Guest Zeurkous

I played it fully now in ZDOOM, but it made me feel like if i was playing a SLIGE level. It had the right amount of detail, but it was very linear, with no real puzzles. Also, you were constantly killing, and nearly all the rooms where the same height. The music didn't fit also. It had a little bit Heretic, but IMO it just didn't fit in the level.

Conclusion: it just had not the right feeling.

"source ports are for fuckers"

So you're calling almost the entire community fuckers?

Guest Zeurkous

Pablo said that (read the text file) but i dont like source ports, but that don't mean that everyone uses it is a fucker? If i play a sourcport-only level then i would be a fucker, right?

I know, that's where I'm quoting from.

Anyway, while this is a great map, and extremely large, I actually liked the previous map, A Lonely Place to Die, better :)

BTW, I'm sure even the Demo fanatics would agree that Quake 1 is worse than any Doom source port.

Guest Toby M

Hehehe, in Quake you have to keep pressing a key to get mouselook...damn that hurts!

Guest Toby M

Oooops...really? Didn't know that. But I don't play Quake much anyway. Thanks! (-:

No problem;) i played Quake CTF a lot back in the day when I had the time. Damn real life...

Guest Toby M

For some reason I never got accustomed to any Quake...they've got a very unique style all of them, but somehow I don't like the games that much...

no game is for everyone... not even DOOM. =)
but don't trash Quake because it's not your thing. idsoftware=Quake (not Doom)
It just has a different feel and style to it.
You can get more atmosphere in a simple Quake map than you can ever achieve in DOOM.
Quake has a large following, outstanding maps, better coding, more resources, and outstanding speedrunners.
If there was no Doom, we'd all be sitting on quakeworld.com right now. =P

Yeah, in fact, if Quake had better monsters, sounds, music, colors, weapons, and all that stuff, it might have actually been a great game:)

Quake 2 is awesome, but all the monsters look the same

Quake 3 had potential to be great, but id was obviously too lazy to put time into a single player aspect. Oh well.

Guest pablodictter

hehehehe

Guest pablodictter

could be.

I don't know what you're on but I find this to be a map of excellent quality and I found the music to be perfect. It does kind of sound heretic-ish but I liked Heretic... 8 years ago.

Guest pablodictter

Not a bad idea.
I kind of like the old shit.

Pretty nice level considering the limitations it has to work with. Imagine what it could have been like with a source port:))

This map was great in terms of detail and size, but I had more fun playing A Lonely Place to Die.

it's a great map. had fun playing it.

no wonder the text says "you don't really have to go through the whole map to finish it....fucker." "Source Ports are for fuckers." The VPO after the 1st room when leaving the stairs is very hard to avoid; you can't look at the area where the caco and the backpack are. i suggest prunning or reworking that area for the final version (as i haven't experienced VPOs anywhere else) or else officially declare the map to be for fuckers' eyes only.

Guest Zeurkous

I don't like Heretic music in Doom, because it is not an Heretic-style map. We (me and my friend) still play heretic alot, but i found it just not fitting in a tech base. The SLIGE feeling i get is just when the level is very linear and has (nearly) no puzzles.