Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #68

Seven new WAD files are tossed in our face this week, and they all came from Newstuff.

• Wasted 1: Industrial Zone by Nick Baker - (img) - One small but professional-looking map for Doom 2. Taking place in a sort of slime-base, it's a relatively easy map. More than enough health and ammo to finish the level. It has a few nice details. Oh, and a decent music replacement. That's about it.
  • Chasm Addon by S.H.U. - (img) - A very interesting three-level WAD for Doom 2. Each map has its own theme, from the cool brisky outdoors to the metallic bases. Ammo and health is balanced quite well, and there's a nice amount of detail in these levels, just enough to make them look nice. Lots of neat special effects such as ambient sounds, sliding doors, and even a new monster. There are some music replacements as well. Requires ZDoom.
  • Don't Care, Make One Up For Yourself by Dennis Meuwissen - (img) - An eight-level modification for Doom 2. An extremely low amount of detail on these maps, strange usage of textures, and lots of 90-degree walls. However, this WAD has some interesting points. Some huge outdoor areas which can be nice to look at, and the health and ammo balance isn't bad. Enhanced DOOM port required.
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes by Rex Claussen - (img) - One very impressive map for Doom 2 this time, running on Map10. This one is medium-large, with a brown-base indoor/outdoor theme. Ammo and health is balanced reasonably well, and lots of cozy details make the map pleasant to be in. Lots of height and atmosphere variations, with rooms and hallways, a large outdoor storage area, and a dark slime tunne. This is a very worthwhile download.
  • Invictus by Rex Claussen - (img) - Another impressive map, this time for Ultimate DOOM, running on E1M7. This map is somewhat of a tribute to Doom's E1M7, and it manages to capture its atmosphere in every conceivable way. There are a few monsters that aren't natives of episode 1, but it still looks and plays like the original, except new and better. Hard-to-find switches, puzzles, as you would expect from an episode-1 style map. Very well done.
  • A Lonely Place To Die by Pablo Dictter - (img) - This is one of those maps with amazing, almost mind-boggling detail. Running on Ultimate DOOM, E2M2, this map excels in almost every quality. Ammo and health is balanced extremely well, lighting details are just fabulous, the only thing to nitpick on is the flatness of the map; no dramatic changes in any sort of elevation. Also, the puzzles aren't very hard to solve; it's mostly just a relaxing roller-coaster ride.
  • And Death Came Along by Pablo Dictter - (img) - Yet another very impressive, reasonably large map for Ultimate DOOM. Very much similar to most of Pablo's other maps, lots of cramped hallways and rooms crammed with all sorts of details. Ammo and health balance is very good, and a couple of tricky areas as well. To top it off, there's a somewhat spooky music replacement to go with the map. Enhanced DOOM port recommended.

A nice clutch of maps this week. Some very high quality, enjoyable stuff in there.

Spot on reviews too.

Guest Zeurkous

``...it's mostly just a relaxing roller-coaster ride...`'

In other words: just boring.

Guest cocoon

It's an old wad, I'm sure.. Don't know if maps has been added now, but I've played it a while ago.

Guest cocoon

it says addon after...

Guest pablodictter

nothing's for everyone.

Guest pablodictter

"nothing's for everyone"

that doesn't make sence. = )

What I meant is that the wad is not for everyone. yeah.

wow, pablo dictter map galore =) Wonderful atmosphere. I don't really have a problem with flat maps as long as they have the right amount of detail and lightning.

Guest Ultimate DooMer

This is my I made a poopie, having just got my account. Gonna play some of these maps tonight, they look good, especially the phobos one...

(By the way, I have released an updated version of my Fragport wad, if you don't already know - sorry about the delay)

Guest Rick Clark

Wicked is a very nice map and actually playable by us non-Doom gods. :) Two thumbs up.

Had a chance to play wicked_1 and found it to be relaxing and interesting. Just enough ammo to keep you in the game but never too much. The lighting was also a nice contrast with noticable (but well done) variations. Good wad!

Posting early on this one because I may be away for a couple of days and have to get some sleep.

I've made it through the first level and halfway through the second.

I really like this wad. The first level is very attractively designed - quite eye catching. The second is also nice and has some good lighting features. Both have a nice mix of attacks and surprises - especially level 2. Fun to play!

Guest Ultimate DooMer

Wicked 1 was good. Nice, authentic detail and atmosphere, it reminds me a lot of the early DooM 2 levels. Pretty challenging as well, with not much (but just enough) ammo/health to go on. (I had to chainsaw a lot of imps, which was fun).
As for Invictus, this one is great. I love the Phobos style of level, and it did not disappoint. Very authentic and pretty damn hard as well. Nice to see someone other than myself making levels for the original DooM/DooM 2 (there's nothing wrong with source ports, I use them quite a bit, but my heart was always in the original)

Guest UAC PR Dept.

Ah, yes, I remember my I made a poopie, back in those good old days. Anybody else remember my I made a poopie? I remember my I made a poopie. The I made a poopie is always really neat, showing off the I made a poopie capabilities of the forum... and uh... I made a poopie.