Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

A Look At The Future

I wish more people would comment. The people who commented at Doomcenter seem to be quite fond of the preview.

Sweet! Love those slopes with the lights. Very nice design!

When do we get it? :)

Looks ok, not overly detailed (considering this is a no limit port). Need to see more really to get a descent impression.

classic example of interesting detail inside lackluster architecture. (Think pablo diccter or rick clark w/ zdoom). If you examine the shots closely he has some nice slope usage in otherwise boxy type rooms. Detail applied to the walls, floors and general outline of level probably very similiar. Usually more screenshots don't explain any of this. These shots are consistently from the same areas anyways..

I ask you a question: how many rooms have you seen in real life with lots of angled walls, floors and ceilings? Not many I'll bet.

It's odd how pretty much all of half-life is "boxy", yet it's still considered by most people to be the best game ever made.

you're right about the slopes thing... but this IS a futuristic setting after all.

anybody have an idea when exactly doom takes place? my guess is, maybe 50 to 100 years from now.

Oh yeah, and continuing the Half-life thing, the only bit that isn't "boxy", Xen, is the only real let down of the game...

Yes, but what's the point? Why would someone designing, say, a military base want to make it look pleasing to the eyes?

I ask you Nightmare...do you find interest in the everyday walls of your flat and every other one in England, France, and accross the USA? Of course not, because that is traditional and boring.

Inpiring are the great pyramids, the roman coliseums, the modern architecture of todays artistic gallerys, and the fictional space places of tommorow.

Realism can have it's place in level design. But don't take it too seriously unless you are trying to realistically recreate a place that exists. DOOM in itself has many aspect that are not (or not yet) realistic. Thats the great part of editing is your not bound by realism.

Why would any level author take the time to put in variation? Only for the sake of aestetic. Sure, the level will be functional without it. It's completely optional. It's one of the two main pillars of level design though (coupled with gameplay) so be damned if it's ignored.

Nightmare, don't take half-life out of context. Many aspects to half-life being a great game. But what was so innovative about half-life that made people interested? It was the interaction richly entangled in a story of sorts. It had a fear factor also. The levels served to that purpose. Level design did not carry half-life as you suggest. Much, much more..

my 2.

Military complex are ALREADY made out of bland oblong prefabs. Besides, who says that all, if any, of RTC3057 will be set in a military complex? I only gave that as an example.

Besides the fact that there obviously WILL be slopes, if the only thing we were using ZDoom was for was to remove the VPO/HOM limt, we'd just be using Boom, wouldn't we?

Besides, Doom isn't about the looks, it's about the gameplay. Something that even the best level designers often forget.

There's only so well you can balance monster/ammo/health count before you have to start making the levels architecturally appealing. Doom's gameplay has been all but used up. Time for good-looking stuff. As long as you've got enough ammo and a fair amount of health, what's to complain about?

And why are you suddenly talking about variation? No-one mentioned that, we were talking about curves and angles.

Are you saying that all of Wolfenstein 3D was identical?

Heh, last time he talked about variation to me he was complaining about it :P

Well, there is such a thing as too much variation.

For example, a level that goes from E1 style base, to Doom 2 style city, to E4 style gothic, to Doom 2 style hellish.

futuristic? When creating a wad like 3057, you have to watch out it doesn't get overfuturistic, like 3000 zapper guns that all suck. Also, overdone architecture would ruin the experience and look wrong.