Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

The New Doom Actually Does Have A Real Plot

This is one of the statements John Carmack has posted in a forum thread about the new DOOM. He also talks about some more technical points, like hardware needed to play the game and the number of polygons to expect on screen. Thanks go to Wilf for having pointed this out.

I doubt they'll sink that low.. It's ID, have some faith :) They've never prioritize story over gameplay.

150k polysscene? Wohoo! Mapping IS gonna be fun :D

I can't believe that all story games suck. What about Half-Life? That game was awesome and had a good storyline to.

IMO no matter how good the story it tends to reduce replay value.But having a plot is not necessarily having a story,I hope....

Well. Even if the main game is as slow and boring as half-life, there will still be mappers who create more action-centered scenarios.

there's two mutually adverse factors in game development (in FPSs as well as RPGs, but even in other gernes, like strategy games); playability vs. the playing of a role.

one points at being fun (in a direct, practical way) and competitive, and the other at creating an envirionment and being entertaining (in a more absorbing way)

who knows what will happen here; take the case of DOOM: the DOOM Bible described a much more 'plotty' game, but finally the 'gaming' trend won over (you could argue it's because of tech limits, but it's not just that. when planning and after testing, a game a designer often discards redundant work that gets in the way of making a game fun and challenging, and that is often what would be needed to make the game more realistic)

it seems like a pressure from the market to me; to outclass games like half-life they'd have to beat their best qualities (the story), but this means making the game less a game and more an interactive movie (something helped by the new technology, it's easier to make things look 'real,' so it will possibly encourage the designers to follow more the rules of reality as opposed to more self-contained rules in sake of playabilty).

i think id should not step in that direction any more than th new tech developments dictate. and these new developments will have more to do with rendering detail that 'scripting,' as whats seen from what carmack says (although his delegating some things to other coders may mean they are working on the latter. an obstruction, imo). their big thing is the engine, and they are not bad at making game rules, but giving weight to the story will dilute playability. they should just let others use the engine to create stories later, and should concentrate on making a game

presently it seems, by carmack's (and id's) plans/statements that it's going to be rather plotty (take carmack saying that game tech will be used extensively in movie-making)

There are tons of games that have a good story that still have great gameplay. The stories usually aren't all that complex, but they're definitely there.

I'm so happy I could cry - it does have a plot!

One problem, however. I was hoping that the minimum specs for Doom 3 would blow my system out of the water, thus giving me an excuse to by a whole new system, but it seems as though I'll be able to run it fine.

<font size=1><samp>Maybe I can justify a new system if they intend to make heavy use of Pixel Shaders... :)</samp></font>

-Dan

Guest Excalibur_Z

I also think the new Doom game will have to be story-driven. The trend of fast-paced killathon gaming has been replaced by realism. Locational damage is a big thing in games now (although I still don't particularly care for it) - Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Half-Life DM itself, and even Unreal Tournament and numerous HL/UT mods. Even Action Quake was big on it. Now, WW2 games are big, and locational damage (and other realism factors) are a big focus there too.

It's hard to say what made the Doomguy so bad-ass. He just was, and everybody and their brother knew it. There was just no denying that the Doomguy rocks. Now it looks like game developers are filling in the gaps with realism. So instead of just knowing that you rock in a game, you have to prove it through stealth and strategy.

I happen to believe the new Doom will be much like the developers first envisioned Quake - where "you'd fight probably 3 monsters at the most at a time". Especially with those polycounts, yeesh. One thing's for sure though, with high-quality models like those running about, it will be safe to say that there won't be hordes of monsters everywhere that you have to take on yourself.

Quake and Quake2 had plots, both of which sucked. If they make the game with a proper theme (like e1) then great, hopefully the levels will blend together like half-life.

150K polys in a scene isn't a guarantee of quality, it just makes things longer to build and more painfull to scrap.

I'll wait for the demo

Guest Ultimate DooMer

hmmmm.....looks like I am going to have to get a new pc for this one.....

I do hope it retains some of the high-speed action of the original DooM, although plot-based games aren't nessecarily bad. Take Quake 2, Half-life, Sin etc.

"so it will suck like all the other story centric games?"

I take it you don't like RPGs then?

As incredibly good as the game looks, I've always wondered if gamers won't be so jaded they'll just blast through everything without really looking at it first... nah.

It always makes me roll my eyes when someone condemns an entire genre with no explanation other than the word "suck"

If Zelda games aren't your style, that's fine. It doesn't mean they suck.

Zelda is more like Action/RPG.

Stuff like Lunar which is straight-forward RPG and rather long and story-driven is what I've always liked. I still haven't played an RPG I liked more than Lunar, except Lunar 2. Could never beat that one battle with Ghaleon near the end, though. I could have had a chance if I was able to leave the rooftop and go do some more battling to gain levels, but for whatever reason the exit was sealed and I had saved, so, oh well. Haven't played it for years now.

I didn't play Lunar 2 but I played the first Lunar. Definately the best game to be released for the Sega CD by a wide margin. In fact it's the only rpg I've ever played through more than twice :)

Guest Excalibur_Z

Been a while since I've played the game. Is that the PSX version? Don't you get up there by a rocket or something? I think you can get down by searching the rocket also. However I'm not certain, it really has been a long time for me =) I encourage you to win and try the Epilogue quest =)

All a game developer has to do is read a book or two, some dictionaries, encylopedias and run it through a thesaurus. Isn't that how all good games are done? &lt;hehe&gt;

Guest Pirx

"So instead of just knowing that you rock in a game, you have to prove it through stealth and strategy. "

BLEARGH.

Guest Excalibur_Z

Tell me about it. Screw realism! =T

That's how some of Quake must have come about; with a dictionary and a thesaurus... coming up with monster names like Shambler and Grunt and Ogre and Fiend... and uh... eheh... Scrag

Guest UAC PR Dept.

Source of monster names: Dungeons & Dragons and some occult mythology (which is also the source of a lot of D&D stuff).

"So instead of just knowing that you rock in a game, you have to prove it through stealth and strategy."

That I actually like the sound of. It would give good replay value. In Doom, how do you take down an imp? Shoot him several times, shoot a barrel near him, guide him under a crushing ceiling, get another enemy to kill him... but that's about it. In the new Doom as I hope it will be, if you happen to be low on health and ammo, you could shoot him once in the leg and run away until he bleeds to death :P. Or once in the heart. The thing is, you can be all bad-ass about it and take careful aim at a specific part of his body, and hopefully ID will make it differ from human anatomy, so you have to search for the heart or genitals to shoot them off, disabling the creature.

Guest UAC PR Dept.

...should have been "Scragadelic & Pirx"