Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Five Years Of Eternity

February 8th, 1997. The very day that, well, it's obviously the day that the Eternity project was launched. Otherwise, why would this news update be here?
That's right, at the Eternity page, the anniversary is being celebrated with news of an upcoming, well, we don't know what it is exactly. It involves Kurt Kesler though, so it has to be good.

and what is it?

Is it an engine,
is it a wad?

No!

Its Eternity: 5 years of hype.

5 years? That's getting silly. This better be one hell of a modification, a complete rework of the doom game and engine, otherwise I'll be suitably unimpressed.

-Dan

Forget these fools, Quas - I know you've been busy and you've got, you know, a real life. Don't feel pressured to work TOO hard on Eternity; school comes first. Congrats on five years of progress, and I hope to see the Win32 port (so I can actually play it right) soon!

No, Andrew- Eternity came around just a few months ago. I remember when the link appeared under "projects". You must have it mixed up with Doom or something.

damn there are some negative ass bastards combing these message threads...

Anyways...congrats James. Good things come to those who wait.

Can't wait for a new level from Kesler !!

Uh, nice to see you know what you are talking about... Eternity has only been hosted by doomworld for a few months. Eternity has been hosted on DN and has been around longer than I have.

Oh, and Dan, kiss someone's ass. I would say mine but I'm afraid of the STDs I would contract.

Guest Virgil_

Five years.. Back then, I still couldn't kill a Cyberdemon with an SSG. Hey, this thing's taking an Eternity to complete (pun fully intended) :)

Virgil

Actually, it's true. Eternity has been around for five years.
I joined the Eternity project several months ago, a little before it was hosted on doomworld, I'd seen its updates for at least a year before that, and I spoke with the project's leader Quasar many times who told me a bit about its history.

By the way, if you actually followed the link, you'd see an update saying "5th anniversary" and the first sentence mentions its beginning in 1997.
Unless Quasar himself is lying for some stupid reason, I'd say that's evidence enough right there.

"Impossible to believe isn't it? On this very day in 1997 two friends started a small project with big dreams."

it says 'two'; quasar and...?

after all, this is the most important news revelation, other than the upcoming MAP

* doom taps his fingers

Thanks for all the positive comments. As for the doubters, well, we'll see.

BTW, the person who founded Team Eternity along with me was my IRL friend Joshua Bimat, who then went by the nick Avatar. He's not currently involved in the DOOM community. We were joined shortly thereafter by another IRL buddy named Chris Seale. Both of them contributed some initial ideas to the story line and for features, and are thus still in the credits.

February 8, 1997 was the day that my friend and I decided to upgrade Eternity from a single level to a TC project and put up a site on AOL for it. I'd have little motivation to lie, as a lot of people are obviously not impressed by a project that takes +5 years to complete :P For reference, I did not start chatting in IRC until some time in either late '97 or '98, and you can cross-check that with anybody who was around in #doom2 back then. I also have a URL to the archived original project announcement made on USENET, dated March 9, 1997 --

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Eternity+Total+Conversion&hl=en&selm=19970309080700.DAA08485%40ladder01.news.aol.com&rnum=2

In case you're wondering why it took a month to announce the project, I had to learn enough HTML to put up a webpage in the interim period <:)

Guest UAC PR Dept.

What are called STI's now?

"::laughs:: Uh, excuse me, gentlemen, but I -think- I know a think or two about Eternity. "

More evidence that w@velength is the alias of someone with a twisted sense of humour.
No one can be this stupid.