Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

Ravager Tracker

Elravager let us know about a Ifrag tracker that is in service at 12.234.248.236.

The tracker that’s up supports version 2.1 of the Ifrag client. As you know, Ifrag requires Doom/doom2/heretic/hexen to run in DOS, using a DOS packet driver. This is for folks who are sick of the high latency and warpage caused by winbl0ze and a client/server architecture…

Time to frag the oldschool way it seems.

These days, virtually noone knows how to get a true DOSmode tcp-ip packet driver working. You may need to write some highly informative documentation on how to do this, and stick it on a webpage, if you want to get anyone (even the most serious oldschool-type players) using Ifrag. The crowd that might be interested in trying this currently uses Microsoft Zone to get off IPX-emulated games like Doom2, and it runs directly from a Zone-opened DOS prompt, without touching the machines' real network drivers.

BahdKo's tagline amuses me -- she is both grown up and a Doom god.
anyway, I have watched a bunch of the MZone interface demos and there are occasional problems, but overall it has great results.
I doubt many people have true dos support for networking to use Ifrag.

Guest Soviet

i would like to know how to connect to this ifrag tracker, i know nothing about dos, if someone could write up a readme that would really help

When i grow up i want ... no

iFrag 2.21 wants not to work with this tracker, only ver. 2.1 :-( Something must be changed - either tracker version, or reference to iFrag 2.1

2Soviet: there is ifrag.doc file with detail information about iFrag configuring. As for DOS - you can use 'Command line' option when start Win9x. It is quite enough to run iFrag.

Guest Kharza-kzad

To get this going, you'll need a seriously low ping (50ms or better), a system that boots to dos or 95/98* Kharza-kzad with the boot to dos hack. I put together an old p133 just for this purpose.

You also need a packet driver for your nic. Some are easier than others and will detect all of your settings. Others require you to input the right irq and stuff on the command line. Get a ping tool that works with wattcp to test if the packet driver is working ok.

Edit the wattcp.cfg and fill in the details.

Note that the ifrag 2.1 limitation is hopefully temporary. I'm hoping the original makers of ifrag can hook me up with newer source code.

As for good times to jump in, usually weekdays between 3 and 8pst if you just start a game up and leave it up, either I or Fragmastr will jump in. I saw a guy from Russia connect, but it was like 3am pst and I was likely asleep :)

I hope you guys can get it working! Ifrag back in the day was the most competitive game net on the planet. I have never seen such amazing displays of raw skill.

All made possible by a low latency os and crazy smooth framerates :) Oh and synched net play helps :)

Good luck!

Kharza-kzad

Guest Bluntman

ive been playing around with ifrag for a few years on my own home network and in my experience have never got any wattcp app up and running properly under win9x.(no problems under dos).. so ifrag is awesome. the zone sucks. jay cotton is a god.

but anyways, i was wondering about : "95/98* Kharza-kzad with the boot to dos hack. " what does that mean? :) Is that actually having a wattcp app under win9x? Its of no real importance to me since i stuck a 300mg hdd w/ dos 6.22 in my machine just for my oldschool dooming needs...

and one last question, who hooked u up with the tracker program itself? ive searched for it but never had any luck.. im done rambling for now :)

Guest Kharza-kzad

Jay hooked me up, and intended to play some, though he hasn't jumped in yet. Fragmastr and I used to play alot with Jay and Scott who were the original coders.

About the hack I referred to: That is only needed for winME which doesn't like you to boot without a gui. For 95 and 98 you just edit the ... msdos.sys file I think it is? Not sure which file exactly but there's an option where you can set bootgui=1

I'm like you though, I do dos 6.22 :)

Guest Kharza-kzad

Oh I see what happened!

I tryed to do 98 - 95 - ME but instead used a slash and it emoted instead of putting ME.

testing...
/me