Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Legacy Continues

But Legacy does work in XP, just with lots of HOM in wide open areas. At least for me anyway.

heh "xp is for stupid people". It obviously is not. There are just some idiots who don't know how to use it. I got all my DOS-based games running in WinXP. It's the best Win O/S created.

Guest (Unknown)

I, John Romero will join the Legacy team, if they pay me, I'm poor. I had to sell my car!!

re: Windows XP not being able to run anything

Come one guys, they're just following linux's lead...

Guest BazLorD

I know that they don't have XP, they said that, but refusing to support it because you have to register XP....which you DONT! The professional version of XP does NOT have that rego thing. And even if they don't have XP, they can get someone ELSE to do it, but nooo....... also while I'm at it, XP doesn't have dos support for one reason...IT'S SO DAMNED OLD! Now I may be wrong (highly likely :D) but dos was written in about 2 hours to show off the capabilites of a PCJR..(something like that) the author had NO idea that it would still be in use 15 years later. Dos is old, dos is dead, long live dos.

Guest Mantastic

Nukem being the only DOS FPS I play without a port, I had to try it on my bro's comp(he has XP. Not to mention there is at least one Windows port that seems to still be in the works). Anyways, worked like a charm the first try. Either he has a magically legendary version of XP, or DOS games can be made to work. "Oooh, what a lovely tea party."

Duke Nukem 3D actually runs under WinXP? That's great! It doesn't run at all under Win2K (at least not on my machine). Another reason for me to upgrade to WinXP.

Legacy has lots of HOM in open areas in all incarnations of the program, not just under XP. Doom Legacy, as far as I can tell, runs just "fine" in my XP install.

On the other hand, I had to browbeat them into working in a system timer fudge because they hacked something to work with NT4 which broke Legacy in win2k under specific conditions... and they made it a command line option, with no corresponding configuration file entry.

"I'm not bitching about not getting what I want SoM,"

*cough* BULLSHIT *cough*
>EVERY port has coders that act like babies.
>This guy won't add slopes, this guy won't
>add 3D floors, JDOOM will never have
>EITHER. Blah blah blah, it's all bullshit.
>Vavoom is the only port that offers
>everything, but it's so damn slow....

Sounds like bitching to me.

"just about how some of you CLAIM to do this for us, then treat everyone but your little inner circle like shit. Yeah, that'll build a user base.... If someone asks you about a feature you don't have or don't ever intent to put in, either be civil in your reply or don't reply at all. Maybe then there wouldn't be so many pissed off people like me"

NO ONE makes a source port for you. Period. People make source ports because they like doom, and they think they can do something cool with it.

People like you who (judging from the nature of your pervious posts) constantly bitch and moan because you don't get the features you want provoke an angry or mean responce. I've had many e-mails demanding a feature or telling me that it was my mission to implement something. Well screw you. I do what I want because I'm doing it on my own personal time. If people made source ports for people like you, then you would have to buy source ports. Then you could bitch about lack of features but I'm sure you wouldn't like paying for doom again, I know I wouldn't...

"I know that they don't have XP, they said that, but refusing to support it because you have to register XP....which you DONT! The professional version of XP does NOT have that rego thing. And even if they don't have XP, they can get someone ELSE to do it, but nooo....... also while I'm at it, XP doesn't have dos support for one reason...IT'S SO DAMNED OLD! Now I may be wrong (highly likely :D) but dos was written in about 2 hours to show off the capabilites of a PCJR..(something like that) the author had NO idea that it would still be in use 15 years later. Dos is old, dos is dead, long live dos."

Uh, you ever tried developing a project for a platform you don't have? It's pretty-much impossible. As for having someone else do it, I haven't heard of anyone offering. I don't know what hurdler would say if someone did. It's not like the legacy team has tons-o-money to hire someone else to do it.

you are more then welcome to write your own port and include whatever you like in it. you could even use an existing port as a codebase since the doomsource was, afaik, released under the gpl, thus all ports which are based on it have to be relased under the gpl.

Guest Damon

The biggest problem with Legacy is the two-player splitscreen. The two screens should be divided vertically, not horizontally. Any idiot knows that. When they are divided horizontally the screens are cramped at the top and bottom. You can't see anything. You should make it adjustable, like in JEt Force Gemini.

That doesn't make any sense. Any multiplayer console FPS I've ever seen splits the screen top and bottom in a two-player game. It's more important to be able to see left and right, rather than up and down. Especially in a game like Doom.

So the BOOM compatibility was because all those extra linetypes make the original game so much better? So if no one used these ports to make their own levels, or even used them at all, they'd still be made? I'm pissed because I've always been curteous and respectful in my questions, yet a few teams have still felt the need to kick my teeth in. I DO appreciate your work on the Legacy port, but cut the shit. Have I ever asked you for anything? No. Have I ever sent ANYONE an email demanding new features, or changes? No. But a few times people LIKE YOU have still felt the need to shit all over me just for asking a couple questions. How dare I ask such a thing? I should just know better, right SoM? Most coders are fine, but there are a few who really need an atittude adjustment.

:p

Guest Ike654

I don't understand. I've not had any problems with Legacy and XP. My only problem was that some of my old DOS programs ran slow, some didn't run, and my Cakewalk v5.0 doesn't work (something about a "thunk" not foun din kernal32.dll). Doom Legacy ran fine in both software and OpenGL rendering mode. Still my favorite port (and 2nd favorite GL port, next to jDoom).

However, I still dislike XP compared to like Win98. But, that's just preference. If it were my choice, this laptop wouldn't have XP on it anymore, but due to some sort of screwy limitation, it still has it. My only complaint goes to Toshiba: GET RID OF THE FUCKING YAMAHA CARD IN IT!!! MS-DOS program's don't like it.

You have to upgrade your Cakewalk software, in they're latest release they address a few of those issues. In case you were wondering, the Windows XP operating system is a lot better then any other current or past operating systems due to the simple fact that it can run faster and operate more programs then any. Plus it can run more multiple tasks then previous attempts to redefine a "state of the art" os.

Unless your brain is too subtle and fragile that you cannot displace a DOS program to work properly or efficiently but that is usually the result of the user behind the keyboard, not the OS.

Guest Ike654

Yes, I agree that XP is better, I just prefer 98 to it. Kind of like I prefer DOS to Windows all together.

Doom seemed to run very choppy in XP (the original DOS version). C&C/Red Alert/Tomb Raider all crash. Lemmings ran, though. Just no music.

I had that same problem but I rectified it by switching the to 16 bit sound on the windows console which helped it but then I had problems where it would crash unexpectedly. I never thoguht I'd see the day when Doom would have trouble running on computers but that day is here, all I want is Doom III and to finish Clyve Barkers Undying - Very good game at that and kind of brings me back to an old school Blood or Newly reformed Doom, check it out everyone.

the sound car to*

Error in first sentence and I hate it when I forget to proof read, never notice it until you already clicked "Add Comments". There should be a way to erase a comment or spell check it. err

"EVERY port has coders that act like babies. This guy won't add slopes, this guy won't add 3D floors, JDOOM will never have EITHER. Blah blah blah, it's all bullshit. Vavoom is the only port that offers everything, but it's so damn slow....

Why do so many coders have this thing about "I won't add that, it's not DOOM. You want that, go edit Quake." You're either a purist or you're not. There is no halfway. Either give us mappers EVERY option or give us none. All your doing is holding back the growth of the community."

THAT was respectful? Who needs an attitude adjustment?

BTW I added boom linedefs because I liked boom features and I wanted to run Boom wads in Legacy.

To answer your other question, no one besides me and a precious few other people make levels for legacy anyway. So yes, I think development will still go on under the current state of almost no one making levels for legacy.

Guest Virgil_

I use DMapEdit v4.0.

P.S. All my DOS games ran without sound or music in XP which pissed me off since I couldn't fix it. If only XP was nicer to Doom2 and other DOS programs, maybe then I wouldn't hate it so much. Win 98 runs 'em just fine and I got both the MS-DOS prompts and the Windows Explorer to manipulate my files, unlike in XP. In XP, the DOS prompt is also VERY limited. I NEED the DOS Prompt's FULL capabilities.. So many interesting things you can do with it...

Virgil

Actually there are a fair number of us making Legacy specific levels now. Yes I said some stupid stuff in my I made a poopie, but if I'd been treated better I wouldn't have snapped in the first place. After talking to Hurdler and others, I do understand how you can get twitchy when most of the mails you get are angry complaints about stuff the coder has no control over, but that's no excuse to take it out on the guy just asking a couple nice little yes/no questions. All you've done then (in my case) is make that person not want to use your stuff, and more than happy to turn others away from your stuff as well.