Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mew251

Preferred source port for multiplayer?

daemon seems kinda dead with only a few servers being populated, so i would like to know if there are any other source ports that have more players.

Me and my friend want to play through the Master Levels of Doom 2 and we are wondering what is the best choise for a 2 player COOP.

We stopped at Odamex and ZDaemon. What source port of those two would be better?

17 minutes ago, Nightrou said:

Me and my friend want to play through the Master Levels of Doom 2 and we are wondering what is the best choise for a 2 player COOP.

We stopped at Odamex and ZDaemon. What source port of those two would be better?

Out of those two: ZDaemon. Odamex isn't quite ready for coop stuff yet if you ask me. 

4 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

Out of those two: ZDaemon. Odamex isn't quite ready for coop stuff yet if you ask me. 

Well from what i read those were the best choise. Could you reccomend me any other?

I personally play singleplayer through DSDA-Doom, but i cannot understand how the Pr-Boom+ server works.

15 minutes ago, Nightrou said:

I personally play singleplayer through DSDA-Doom, but i cannot understand how the Pr-Boom+ server works.

Me neither, but I've been told it sucks.

Answering the thread, if you don't care that much about the gameplay and if it's a LAN game, you can use ZDoom, or GZDoom or LZDoom. You know, that kind of stuff.

If it's an internet play, I'd say ZDaemon.

29 minutes ago, Nightrou said:

Well from what i read those were the best choise. Could you reccomend me any other?

Personally if you wanna do like, vanilla coop, I'd recommend Crispy Doom or Chocolate Doom. But ZDaemon should do the job just fine, it's mostly preference really. Though I think setting up a Crispy/Choco server would probably be easier than that of a ZDaemon server.

18 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

Personally if you wanna do like, vanilla coop, I'd recommend Crispy Doom or Chocolate Doom. But ZDaemon should do the job just fine, it's mostly preference really. Though I think setting up a Crispy/Choco server would probably be easier than that of a ZDaemon server.

I tried crispy doom, but it seems there is friendly fire and there is no way of removing it. Ok then we will use Zdaemon. Thanks!

43 minutes ago, Nightrou said:

I tried crispy doom, but it seems there is friendly fire and there is no way of removing it. Ok then we will use Zdaemon. Thanks!

You might consider Marshmallow Doom if you want something somewhat closer to vanilla but with modern gameplay options (like the ability to toggle friendly fire).

If you're open to splitscreen, you could try LZDOOM's local splitscreen... You could play coop that way, and launch the master levels w/ like ZDL or something... There's a tutorial in this thread, if I remember correctly:

I got it to work, and have used it to play countless hours of deathmatch w/ my brother. But co-op works too. That's if your friend is close by. If they live in like a different state, then yeah, splitscreen options wouldn't work too well lol

if I was trying to set up coop with friends, I would definitely go for Zandronum, mainly because you can use The Sentinel's Playground to set up your own free server so you don't have to deal with hosting yourself. maybe it's easier to do yourself now than it used to be, but I remember having to deal with port forwarding and other stuff back in the day when I was trying to set up coop with a friend down the street. the big caveat with TSP though is that I think the servers are located only in the US :(

With a question like "What is the best port for ...",  you know that everyone is just going to list their favorite ports, based on their own favorite reasons.

Now, if you list some requirements, and features, that might restrict them a little.

DoomLegacy Coop features.

- Designed for multiple players.

- Designed for network play.

- Supports Coop play

Can select altered Coop play.  This was added because some maps having unusually difficult monster selections for coop play.

Coop options:

1. Coop weapons, Coop monsters

2. Use Coop weapons, otherwise the Single Player map.

3. Coop with boss monsters reduced to 80%.

4. Coop with boss monsters reduced to 60%

The last two will change a CyberDemon to something more normal, like a Hell-Knight.

Many maps will throw in CyberDemons on Coop play, like there will be a gang of expert players to attack it.

This does not work out well when Coop is being used when some of the players are weaker.

These Coop features allow you to play a normal map with multiple players, without the unreasonable difficulty.

Thanks everyone for answering. I think i have decided what would be the best port for me.

Odamex has made great strides to improve the cooperative experience. The port even has survival co-op with lives as of version 0.9.0. There is also the ability to modify the health values and damage output of monsters via server cvars and rotate through multiple wads.

I've been working with Zandronum for a while and I feel that my total conversion is ready for the next step. Since most of my work has been with art and levels, no engine holds me back. But before I start writing code, I wanted to know what would be the best source port to base a multiplayer total conversion on? I believe the critical features are:

• Easy for people to create & run servers
  • Easy for people to find other people and play
  • Cross platform: Windows, Linux, Mac

Zandronum or Q-Zandronum, really. And csZDoom. (Wait, what? yes.)

The others are Odamex and ZDaemon.

Never heard of Q-Zandronum, that's kind of awesome, specially since it seems to be well-maintained. I'll try that one out and see how it goes.

Hey there, so I have a question. Yes I know that the main souce port for MP is Zandronum, but zandronum just feels weird (since ive played so much GZDoom) so is there either (A.: a way to make Zandronum feel/look lik GZDoom? or (B.: a separate source port that runs on GZDoom but for MP????

On 1/22/2022 at 8:39 AM, 2009XboxLiveKid said:

Hey there, so I have a question. Yes I know that the main souce port for MP is Zandronum, but zandronum just feels weird (since ive played so much GZDoom) so is there either (A.: a way to make Zandronum feel/look lik GZDoom? or (B.: a separate source port that runs on GZDoom but for MP????

Hey there, so I have an answer.

• Zandronum includes an older GZDoom renderer, from 1.8.6. That's old
  • GZDoom can be made to look like Zandronum. A good start would be to use the GLES renderer.
  • There is no modern GZDoom fork for MP
  • There is a fork of Zandronum that implements Quake-style movement: Q-Zandronum.

Not the answers you may seek, but answers they are..

I need a list of source ports that can support multiplayer, and how i can make a server in that port that others can visibly see, but with modding capability.

LIST

1. Supports popular wads that the user on the other side can download right as soon as they join
  2. Has built in or easy instructions/ways to host
  3. not that IP address shit like with some ports
  4. custom keybinds
  5. pk3 support notably brutal doom
  6. A lot of people use
  7. Can make me a grilled cheese

If anyone can give me a list of the ports that fall under at least 5 of these 7 categories, please tell me. and also how to host or join a server.

7 minutes ago, ZOMILE said:

1. pk3 support notably brutal doom

If I'm not mistaken, there are still only two source ports that can run Brutal Doom, and GZDoom has no multi-player support I'm pretty sure. Might be able to make you a grilled cheese though, it's pretty damn advanced for a source port.

1 minute ago, Spineapple tea said:

GZDoom has no multi-player support I'm pretty sure

It has, but it's not client-server architecture, so it's finicky and you will need to read the manual to know how to set it up.

7 minutes ago, Gez said:

It has, but it's not client-server architecture, so it's finicky and you will need to read the manual to know how to set it up.

Huh, so I guess no convenient multi-player support. You learn something everyday.

GZDoom crashes in multiplayer after just minutes due to consistency failure, no matter what. So it effectively lacks multiplayer.

Decay hit the nail on the head. The closest thing you're going to find is Zandronum, but otherwise that tutorial still applies.

As far as I'm aware, your only real option is going to be Skulltag (aka Zandronum). GZDoom kind of works, but you're going to have immense lag issues if you do multiplayer with Brutal Doom on it. It will desync massively.

Keep in mind, Skulltag needs skulltag_actors.pk3 for Brutal Doom. It also lacks a few features that GZDoom does have. Most notably, tracers baked into A_FireBullet and easy to implement ripper projectiles (Last time I checked, anyway. Haven't been following Skulltag developement in the past year).