Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Knas

Problems aligning textures in GZD builder

I've a problem with aligning textures in visual mode in GZD builder. When you use the hotkeys to change the offset of the texture it changes the value of the part you're pointing on instead of the whole sidedefs offset.
This causes big frame drops and makes the auto align features work iffy at best.

So I'm wondering if there is a way to make the program default to only change the sidedef offset value instead of the individual parts of the line in visual mode?

I think he's talking about manual aligning via arrow keys. He wants it to change entire sidedef offsets as opposed to individual upper/lower/middle offsets in UDMF (it depends on which one he points to, and Knas does NOT want it that way). I am also curious to know if it's possible, I couldn't achieve it myself when I tried.

scifista42 said:

I think he's talking about manual aligning via arrow keys. He wants it to change entire sidedef offsets as opposed to individual upper/lower/middle offsets in UDMF (it depends on which one he points to, and Knas does NOT want it that way). I am also curious to know if it's possible, I couldn't achieve it myself when I tried.

Yes, this. It's really not working well when you work with UDMF maps.

Frankly I have considerable difficulty in trying to picture in my mind what you mean by 'entire linedef offsets'. Maybe a screenshot of what is happening would clarify the problem.

Meanwhile at the ranch:
What happens when I align textures manually, the texture pointed at highlights and is offset according to the pressed arrow keys. The exception is the alignment of a texture in the upper/lower plane. When pointed at the lower or upper texture, both will be offset according to the pressed arrow keys.

If I want to align more than just the texture pointed at, then I highlight all the textures which need aligning.

Kappes Buur said:

Frankly I have considerable difficulty in trying to picture in my mind what you mean by 'entire linedef offsets'. Maybe a screenshot of what is happening would clarify the problem.

I take it you've never mapped for non-UDMF formats, or at least not in a very long time? In the older formats ( or UDMF in an older editor ), when you offset sidedefs, you offset middle, upper, and lower textues all at once. Differing texture offsets for each sidedef section, at least within the map format itself, was something not introduced introduced until UDMF, which made lower and upper unpegging far more important for proper alignment and not just for defining how a line will react to floor and ceiling movements.

So what I want to achieve is to have the arrow keys change the Sidedef Offset value instead of the Upper, Middle or Lower Offset value as it is right now.

I want this because when you change anything other the Sidedef value (in visual mode) you get huge frame spikes, even by just by moving the cross over the texture, (not every time you start GZDB though) and Shift-R command does not work and until just a few days ago the auto align didn't behave correctly either.