Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom On The Vectrex, Sorta

Perhaps we can't quite tack it on the "consoles that run Doom" board, but an enterprising hardware hacker nonetheless managed to create a Doom level viewer for the Vectrex, that old 1982 vector-based home console. Since it's vector-based, there's no texturing or anything, but E1M1 is still readily recognizable, albeit in a sparse, wobbly Tron-esque way. The page detailing how it was done reveals that most of the heavy lifting is actually performed by a modern chip on a custom cartridge that passes the final result to the Vectrex for display. So sort of like a SNES Super FX chip, which SNES Doom utilized, so maybe it's not cheating that much after all. Thanks to It Runs Doom for the link.

Well damn. Generally I'm unimpressed by these "Doom that isn't really Doom" semi-ports, but I'm really fond of this one for some reason. Some sadistic part of me would love to see an attempt to render some janky line-based enemies and make it playable.

Alternatively, perhaps an automap-mode-only version of the game. :O

Xaser said:

Alternatively, perhaps an automap-mode-only version of the game. :O

The ability to translate normal map data into a Robotron-like would be pretty friggin' nifty for sure.

Xaser said:

Some sadistic part of me would love to see an attempt to render some janky line-based enemies and make it playable.

Stick-figure enemies!!