Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XLightningStormL

If you could add any fitting weapon to Doom what would it be?

Personally a Flamethrower, it fits with the theme of Doom, making those monsters toasty and extra crispy.

NAME: Flamethrower
FIRST APPEARANCE: E2M5/MAP 07
INFO: A heavy weapon binded to Slot 7 (the BFG9000 is slot 8) uses 5 fuel, burns enemies to a crisp (including unique death textures)
AMMO: Fuel (Dropped by Mancubi, found around maps)

Suggestions should done similar to this:

NAME:
FIRST APPEARANCE: (Episode/Map) (Map ?? etc)
INFO: (basic, including stats)
AMMO: (Do not use for melee, non ammo using)

Name: Taser
First Appearance: E1M1/Map01 (instead of, or in addition to the pistol)
Info: A non-lethal short range/melee weapon bound to Slot 6, which briefly stuns enemies and forces them to back off.
Ammo: Energy cells. Uses 1 point of energy per shot, or 2 points per second to keep the current target stunned.

Suggested usage - pacifist speedruns.

Maybe a lightninggun which causes electricity to bounce off multiple targets like the one in Quake 4.

I think a bunch about weapon archetypes that Doom's arsenal is "missing." There's plenty of space to fit Doomy guns that fill new roles -- heck, I tried to do exactly this with ZDCMP2.

Off the top of my head, one could add:

• A Sniper weapon, be it a railgun or slow-firing rifle
  • Grenades or some other sort of chaotic bouncy weapon.
  • Flamethrower, as mentioned in the OP. Characterized by short range and high power.
  • Piercing weapon that hits multiple enemies. Railguns also double as this role, obviously. :P
  • Homing weapon. Revenant rocket launcher is an obvious choice. :P
  • Melee weapons that hit multiple enemies in an arc (i.e. SWORDS MOTHERFUCKER)
  • Mines / Sticky Bombs
  • Area-denial weapons like poison gas bombs
  • Deployable Turrets and other things that target enemies autonomously
  • Defensive tools like reflective shields, "stun guns", or other passive things that aren't necessarily direct damage-dealers.
  • Projectile-based spread weapons in general; these probably won't be too distinct from the shotguns in singleplayer due to slow monster speed, but it'd behave much differently in multiplayer-land (see Q3:TA Nailgun)
There's plenty of room for unique behaviors that just combine existing weapon types, too. A hitscan explosive weapon, for instance, would work totally differently than the Rocket Launcher in practice. Plus there's a zillion more gimmicks and unique things I'm missing, like Chain Lightning, which didn't even pop into my head until reading Avoozl's post just now :P.

All of this has been done in some way or form in classic FPS's and mods, of course, many of which came out around Doom's era, so it's not like it's a novel idea or anything. Just fun food for thought.

If I had to pick just one out of the list to send back in time to the id office, it'd probably be the flamethrower as described in the OP, because Roast Pinky looks like it'd be delicious.

the weapon I'd add would just make you able to use the rockets you find as stickbombs with no launcher required. They should suck and have somewhat random placement etc, but it'd create a situation where each ammo type had two weapons!

MetroidJunkie said:

Sounds almost like the pipe-bomb from Duke 3D.

Actually it sounds like the sticky bombs from Shadow Warrior.

NAME: Plasma Cutter
FIRST APPEARANCE: MAP08
INFO: A very powerful melee weapon with an alt.fire that uses cells. The normal fire will already be ore powerful than both the chainsaw and the berserk fist and the alternate fire will be 4 times more powerful than the chainsaw but will consume cells at the same rate as the plasma rifle.
AMMO: Cells

However, what I'd really, do if I could, would be to simply make the BFG use separate ammo. (BFG Shells- 1 per shot. Limit-7 With Backpack-14)

Flamethrower would look good but would be used the same way as a plasma gun in practice. I like the sound a an ammo using melee weapon. The static cannon sounds would fit well in the original game by the sound of it too.

Name  : Igor
Type  ; Double Barrel Shotgun.
Ammo  : Demon Shells
Sound : Heavy, Deep, Distorted
looks : Big Ass-Fucking ShotGun (B.A.F.S)
Igor shoots by using Demon Shells and blasts glowing pellets trough the air which you would see in game. Any normal tier opponent would insta-gib while the gibs, bits, and pieces fly backwards accompanied by that nice crunch sound. insta gibs : imps, zombiemen, Shotgun guys, machinegunners, demons.

I understand the collective thinking but something like this is...somewhat moot now :P
..and well...we CAN put in anything we like now thanks to modding and DECORATE! :D

So the whole "I wish..." doesn't apply now, just make it, learn how, or harass somebody until they do!

I do agree though that a flamethrower would be very fun, a few different mods have taken several approaches to it too, some being projectiles like the plasma, or actual flames that gravitate and do burn damage!

Gonna have to second the flamethrower. It could work like a plasma rifle with a short reach that caused minimal splash damage. It's ammo would be more rare than plasma cells, so that it could be a middle ground between the BFG and the Plasma Rifle.

scifista42 said:

As I said here, a rifle, to replace the pistol.

Only this ^, Can't thing of any , I'm alright with current weapons .

Xaser said:

• Melee weapons that hit multiple enemies in an arc (i.e. SWORDS MOTHERFUCKER)

Has anyone taken the time to make a GunBlade similar to Squall's from FFVIII? Hard-hitting pistol shot as primary, arc-shaped slash as secondary? I imagine something like this would be very fun within the Doom environment.

joe-ilya said:

The mighty boot(berserk pack won't affect it)

Then it should be berserk-tier powerful by default. Because you know, mighty.

Special heat seeking rockets that stack onto the rocket launcher and use a non-damaging hitscan attack to determine the target. Why should Revanants get all the fun? =S

scifista42 said:

Then it should be berserk-tier powerful by default. Because you know, mighty.

Than let's have a mighty sandal.

And while at it let's have a vaccum weapon, which will bring closer enemies and items upon attacking.

Doomthrower. Throws a fully-functional version of Doom at enemies, if for no other reason than to give the It Runs Doom! Tumblr one more post.

Ammo comes in two sizes like for most weapons: shareware and commercial. If collecting more ammo than the max, instead of capping the weapon just bombs with Visplane Overflow.

Dragonfly said:

Has anyone taken the time to make a GunBlade similar to Squall's from FFVIII? Hard-hitting pistol shot as primary, arc-shaped slash as secondary? I imagine something like this would be very fun within the Doom environment.

Yep, maybe it would be fun, but a metrosexual pussy from FF with that weapon wouldn't last more than 5 seconds in the Doom universe.

Winged_Warrior said:

Yep, maybe it would be fun, but a metrosexual pussy from FF with that weapon wouldn't last more than 5 seconds in the Doom universe.

You must be a very confused man.