Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tarkus

Beta doom textures?

I've been playing around with the beta version of doom as of late and I'm curious, has anybody been able to extract the flats and textures from it? It has some pretty cool textures actually...

I remember someone making a Doom2 wad based on the Beta Doom. I don't remember the website though. I have the wad, but it doesn't contain any txt files so there's no website or something. Just go to some FTP sites and search for the files 0_5resor.zip, maybe you'll find what you wanted.

What the hell is so special about the beta doom? Why is everyone always harping on about it?

I downloaded one of them and it ran for about 20 seconds before it crashed on me. I didn't see anything great about it: a couple of imps that didn't move, the usual startan texture and crappy map layout.
I just assumed it's a more primitive, grottier version of Doom, right?

Well, it's historical in a sense... you can see the beginnings of alot of the doom1 levels including a doom2 level in the betas.

Lobo said:

What the hell is so special about the beta doom? Why is everyone always harping on about it?

I downloaded one of them and it ran for about 20 seconds before it crashed on me. I didn't see anything great about it: a couple of imps that didn't move, the usual startan texture and crappy map layout.
I just assumed it's a more primitive, grottier version of Doom, right?

That was the Doom tech beta you are talking about. It had a Baron of Hell and an Imp in it, and the thing stopped after about 20 or so seconds.
And you must remember, only a couple months' work had been done on Doom up till that point.

Fair enough.

But what i want to know is, what does it have that people want to extract resources from it? Are there new textures? New sprites? If so, are they really worth extracting?

Yes actually, some of the textures are quite different or a variation on the current ones that seem kind of cool yet still have that doom1 feeling to them... the sprites are nothing special though.

Yeah, some of the textures were never used in the final product, so what Deathie is doing is great cause he's letting me use those "new" textures in my wad.

I wish there were an easy way to copy the textures into the current texture wad I'm using... Seems like a monumental task.

You can extract all the textures, sprites and flats of the beta versions using deutex.

Beta 2, Beta 4 and Beta 5 are not the only betas available, also you can find the DOOM Demo, it is interesting to play, it has a diferent version the plasma gun, Bfg, and Lost Souls.

hey! i played that one a couple of weeks ago, i think it's the alpha 04 one; its not that bad...