Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

The ultimate fantasy DOOM TC/PC/Megawad...

What do you think would be the best or most exciting Doom TC/PC/Megawad to happen? I'd say one of the neatest things things that could possibly be made would be "The NEW Simpsons Doom", a DOOM/DOOM2 total conversion.. With redone sounds, sprites, special effects, textures, and maybe even levels.. A big sign saying "Moe's". Yes, levels would be nice. Most of the monsters should stay the same. Oh, to dream, to dream... :)

Something classic. Done in the style of Doom1. Without all those fancy new textures, smooth lighting, crazy support systems and other special FX. Pure mood, I guess you could call it.

Generally when one wants to make a cool TC they don't choose a topic which doesn't lend itself, whatsoever, to killing lots of bad guys. I know that there are Simpsons sound/GFX wads but I mean, they're not exactly the stuff dreams are made of. Why the hell would you go up against a legion of Apus, or something?

The ultimate megawad?

32 levels and textures by Iikka Keranen. That is all.

Gothic SP. The Gothic DM authors combine to produce the definitive single player experience. The most impressive level design ever seen in the Doom Engine (or anywhere!) sees rocky mountains give way to decaying castles and ancient churches leading to dark dungeons and fetid swamps. An entire medieval world created in 32 levels, with hundreds of brand new flats and textures based off actual photographic images of medieval architecture.

Yes I have thought about this before :). I know it sounds similar to Mordeth, but I have been thinking about this for ages now and I have a real mental picture of how it would look.

In my opinion, the best TC would be one where the behaviour of weapons, monsters, and levels are not simply different, but radically different.
I think doom has thousands of possibilities, the surface of which has barely been touched.
It seems like every time I start a level, I come up with an idea I've never seen done before, and I'm still nowhere near what can be accomplished.
To simplify, I want to play doom and not be able to tell I'm playing doom.

Oh, one more thing. When I play doom, I don't want to simply have fun, I want the crap scared out of me.

Guest ViolentEd
Lüt said:

Something classic. Done in the style of Doom1. Without all those fancy new textures, smooth lighting, crazy support systems and other special FX. Pure mood, I guess you could call it.

Something with a lot of thought put into it. Not just "Lets make a TC with...ummm...robots". Like ZanZan, look at the characters for that. What the hell could you call those? I'm willing to bet thats going to rock everyone down because its obvious he put a lot of thought into it before he did the real editing.

Hyena said:

Oh, one more thing. When I play doom, I don't want to simply have fun, I want the crap scared out of me.

Absolutely. That is a very important part of a good level. The level has to shock sometimes so that it doesn't get boring. Looks, sure, thats important to in a way, but agressive monster placement is a good way to make levels interesting. One of several ways, to be more exact.

Guest cocoon
ViolentEd said:

Something with a lot of thought put into it. Not just "Lets make a TC with...ummm...robots". Like ZanZan, look at the characters for that. What the hell could you call those? I'm willing to bet thats going to rock everyone down because its obvious he put a lot of thought into it before he did the real editing.

I don't want to make a bet (since I am not into the genre) but isn't that face from a misfits album?

I was just gonna say, that face looked familiar. :) Gothic SP was supposed to happen in Mordeth Episode 3 but the team all ended up leaving (pfft like Soto was gothic :D) so now it'll be more like Mordeth E1 (or at least that's what I can tell from screenshots but with different textures). I would like to see some huge pc covering multiple time periods with an integrated storyline as levels progress. I have something to this effect started on paper.. only problem is decorative sprites which I'd of course need to immerse the player with something new and exciting... I need a modeler or something I guess.. new enemies would be nice but I'm not suited for that type of thing... Violent Ed does some nice sprites *hint* *hint*... oh and new TEXTURES!!! Anyway, back to Crucified Dreams for me. :)

ViolentEd said:

"Lets make a TC with...ummm...robots"

This reminded me of my favourite TV show, Family Guy

STEPHEN KING: For my three hundred and seventieth book, this couple is attacked by . . . a . . lamp monster!! Ooh Oooooooh
PUBLISHER: You're not even trying anymore are you?
STEPHEN KING: Grrrr Grrrrrrrrr
PUBLISHER: (sighs) When can I have it?

Guest ViolentEd
cocoon said:

I don't want to make a bet (since I am not into the genre) but isn't that face from a misfits album?

Thats the face from ANY misfits album. Heh.

Afterglow said:

I was just gonna say, that face looked familiar. :) Gothic SP was supposed to happen in Mordeth Episode 3 but the team all ended up leaving (pfft like Soto was gothic :D) so now it'll be more like Mordeth E1 (or at least that's what I can tell from screenshots but with different textures). I would like to see some huge pc covering multiple time periods with an integrated storyline as levels progress. I have something to this effect started on paper.. only problem is decorative sprites which I'd of course need to immerse the player with something new and exciting... I need a modeler or something I guess.. new enemies would be nice but I'm not suited for that type of thing... Violent Ed does some nice sprites *hint* *hint*... oh and new TEXTURES!!! Anyway, back to Crucified Dreams for me. :)

Yes, that is an interesting idea. Several time periods. Maybe something like Time Commando? That was a fun game.. Starting out in prehistoric and working your way all the way through roman, ancient Japan, medieval, western, modern, future, et cetera.. A storyline would be neat, if more than just a Dehacked patch changing the story line at the end of levels 6, 11, 15, 31, 20, and 30.. Yes, new sprites would be nice. Maybe someone ought to make a pack of new monsters for our DOOM community. Freeware. You know, something new for everyone to work and play with.. Aaahhh... :D

Linguica said:

Generally when one wants to make a cool TC they don't choose a topic which doesn't lend itself, whatsoever, to killing lots of bad guys. I know that there are Simpsons sound/GFX wads but I mean, they're not exactly the stuff dreams are made of. Why the hell would you go up against a legion of Apus, or something?

Because they're halariously entertaining characters. I'd like to take a break from all this monster killing, and have some serious fun.. Well, I could download Simpsons DOOM again. That would work. It's great fun! If I recall correctly, I believe Simpsons Doom2 was the first file I downloaded, ever!! That must have been early '95.. Yes, Simpsons and DOOM go together like peanut butter and bananas. :)

AndrewB said:

Yes, that is an interesting idea. Several time periods. Maybe something like Time Commando? That was a fun game.. Starting out in prehistoric and working your way all the way through roman, ancient Japan, medieval, western, modern, future, et cetera.. A storyline would be neat, if more than just a Dehacked patch changing the story line at the end of levels 6, 11, 15, 31, 20, and 30.. Yes, new sprites would be nice. Maybe someone ought to make a pack of new monsters for our DOOM community. Freeware. You know, something new for everyone to work and play with.. Aaahhh... :D

You will have 10 new monsters in MBF with the eventual release of Millennium.

On that note, I'd like to alert you to me new email address:
<a href="mailto:jon@oh.no.not.another.god.damn.doom.tc">jon@oh.no.not.another.god.damn.doom.tc</a>
Seriously ;)