Guest Daggah

Is it worth a d/l?

Yeah I tried it. Sure go ahead and download it, its kinda
fun. The levels in the first episode aren't very good, but
they do get better in the later episodes. Just don't take
it too seriously. It does do a good job of capturing the mood
and spirit of the Final Fantasy games.

Guest Daggah

Thanks stphrz, I've been so obsessed with FF5 (english translated rom) that I'm almost willing to try it even if it weren't worth the download. :)

FF6 is still the king on the RPG throne. It does barely beat Chrono Trigger, but still.

Star Ocean 2 is a game with probably like the best battle system ever. It's a shitload of fun, but don't expect a Xenogears-style story. Expect a fun game with an awesome battle system and brilliant replay value. Kinda on the short side, but oh well. (You're staring at the good ol' 12-year-old child prodigy Leon as my face BTW).

Guest Daggah

prower, so you liked Xenogears then?

Xenogears was pretty good. Great story, but a bit too much of it. Both battle systems were fun, but I wish there were more emphasis on the character-based battle system. The main problem with it is its null replay value. Most of the 75 hours I spent playing it were story, and I'm not the type of person who reads a book twice. It's probably parallel to FF7 on the game-greatness scale.

I just played it a couple days ago. As someone else mentioned, the first few maps are nothing much, but they get better, and several are actually very well laid out, particularly the 2nd episode. The replacement graphics and sprites are very silly and fit the mood quite well. The levels range from very easy to middling dangerous; plenty of supplies but there are spots where you have to watch how much ammo you spend or must fight hand to hand, and best not to get complacent around cliffs. :) All in all, good fun and an enjoyable quickie.

I've never seen Final Fantasy in any incarnation (I don't do RPG let alone anime or its cousins -- yuck!) but I get the feeling the TC accomplished what it meant to do.