Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

DoomNation

Well, I'm concerned.. The Frag.com staff was too lazy to get the DoomNation forums working again. Who's to say they won't be too lazy to get DoomNation working again? First DoomNation Forums, then DoomNation.. Who knows? :|

I don't know. It kinda looks that way doesn't it? Lut said
something along those lines earlier in the "Did I do something wrong" thread.

What I said was about their funding running out. Since the way they manage to host all those sites is through various advertisers paying them to run their particular ad banners, no frag.com running ad banners=no funding from advertisers=severe problems after a long period of time. I was just being sarcastic when I suggested that, but I wouldn't be surprised if that did end up happening. I can only hope the new server they got wasn't working properly and is being repaired and thoroughly tested.

I doubt they were making any money in the first place, although I could be horribly, horribly wrong.

I'm a pink fish!

Lüt said:

What I said was about their funding running out. Since the way they manage to host all those sites is through various advertisers paying them to run their particular ad banners, no frag.com running ad banners=no funding from advertisers=severe problems after a long period of time. I was just being sarcastic when I suggested that, but I wouldn't be surprised if that did end up happening. I can only hope the new server they got wasn't working properly and is being repaired and thoroughly tested.

I don't think banner ads are clicked on as much as they were used to be. People go to sites, see these rectangular animations, and it registers in their brain as "JUNK!!" ... Even if someone figured out a different shape of a link, other than the rectangular banner ad, that might help.. Well, oh well.. :-b

Lüt said:

Well besides, it wouldn't cost that much to keep up a couple gigs of web sites on one box with one connection... notice how frag.com always gives crappy speeds? I know the server used to be on a p166... believe me, I don't think it costs very much to upkeep the frag.com server. :) .... and just look who's supposed to be moving to the new server.. Zyfly. It takes him a month just to create a new directory for hosted sites. So uh Lüt is Doom Millennium done atm and just waiting for DoomNation to come back up? I know I have a new version q2tex.wad ready for release which includes a fix for the full wad (forgot min/win/brk set in texture1) and I also included some of the CTF set.

Afterglow said:

So uh Lüt is Doom Millennium done atm and just waiting for DoomNation to come back up?

It's waiting on a final build from me. I have been very lazy lately. Basically it's done, everybody except me has done their thing. I have to put everything together into one wad, change like 2 things with the engine. I am just pissed about that stupid 30K sidedef limit, it has completely ruined my last level (Subway) and I can never decide what parts of the map should stay or go, I've had to cut out like half my intended detailing and just forget about designing the other half of the map in the first place. Then documentation, I think Chief has most of it done... We'll do a proper update once DN gets back up. I am going to say no more than two weeks. If DN isn't up by then we'll just put up the page on XOOM temporarily.

AndrewB said:

I don't think banner ads are clicked on as much as they were used to be. People go to sites, see these rectangular animations, and it registers in their brain as "JUNK!!" ... Even if someone figured out a different shape of a link, other than the rectangular banner ad, that might help.. Well, oh well.. :-b

It don't even recognise the rectangles of junk, i've got a proggie (proximitron) to deal with them (although I do disable it when I wiev the doom related pages to support em :o)

(easy to install / unistall, works really well, really recomends proximitron :o)