Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kermit

CSDoomers

Guest Kermit

Man, I just finished with another great bit of CSDooming. I had a great time except for one thing. The people!! Man, What happened to good sportsmanship? Saying GG and all that? When someone frags you in an impressive way, givin em props? I log on in the middle of these guys' game, and on the first frag, they're callin people losers, all kinds of shit, and praising their own Doom skills! In fact, the only person not talking all kinds of shit happened to be the only guy with a higher frag count than me. (Dude was bad)By the end of the game, they irritated me so much that I began to sound like them, calling them all kinds of shit, and gloating over my frags. It pisses me off even more that I went down to their level. Funny thing is, this is a pretty common thing for people to act like this. Come on people- we finally have decent internet Doom!! Don't spoil it by being bad sports- If someone is acting like that, don't act the same way back, just work as hard as you can to win-then let the count speak for itself. If you still get whooped, then say GG and go on about your buisness-maybe they'll pick up on your example. Thats what I'll attempt to do from now on. If anyone has any comments about courtesy on CSDoom, reply.

t-g-g. I type it by reflex whenever a level ends. I even do it when there's no one else on the server :) That's how much of a habit it is for me. You make some good points. I mean how much trouble is it to type "n1" when someone manages to nail you with a long distance rocket shot? I play DM for fun. I like to play others who play it for fun as well. The last thing I want is for a game to get all serious and personal.

Guest ArcticFox

I'm with ya, man.

When I tried Quake MP, the thing that pissed me off was all the smack-talking. Now it's happening to us too. Dammit.

I don't ALWAYS congratulate people, because about 80% of the time I stop to type I get blown apart, but after a tough game I say "Nice game." If we get a landslide winner I compliment him (or her, if I've met any). Rarely, when I get killed about 5 times in a row, I get mock-angry, but I just say something like "You suck." And I hope it's clear that I don't mean it. (I never got into smileys.)

I think people have this Idea that it doesn't fit the game. To paraphrase a mock conversation on Doom, Damnit!:

Eddie: Hiya, Ralph!
Ralph: Hiya, Eddie!
Ralph bites the dust to Eddie's Ultra-Mega-BFG 64 Trillion
Ralph: Ow you fucker, I thought we were friends!

This is not how it goes! Ralph should have said, "Nice job, Eddie!" Good manners are the key, people!

Since the Telefragged servers are down :[, I haven't played in awhile. Still yes, it is important to have manners, and be a good sport about it. It's just a game. We're not going to win any prizes or lose our house by playing. It doesn't matter whether you win or lose. Saying "gg" or "n1" is a good habit to get into. If you find yourself too frustrated to follow these simple guidelines, then you really shouldn't be playing then and there. Take a break, cool off, go take a human relations course or something. And for god sakes, it's just a game! Don't be so stressed out about losing! :-b

Guest Turbo I
Stphrz said:

t-g-g. I type it by reflex whenever a level ends. I even do it when there's no one else on the server :) That's how much of a habit it is for me. You make some good points. I mean how much trouble is it to type "n1" when someone manages to nail you with a long distance rocket shot? I play DM for fun. I like to play others who play it for fun as well. The last thing I want is for a game to get all serious and personal.

Yes, "t-g-g" all the way. Just be sportsmanlike whatever happens. Maybe "yell" a little at spawn and chat killers and campers, maybe bfg fags, too :)
Anyway, the messages can be turned off, can't they? And when will ZDooM and its variants be able to handle quick typing when you are trying to chat by pressing the "t" key? Sorta annoying, so now I pull down the console.

"...spawn killers, and also chat killers, represent the most dishonorable deathmatchers, perhaps even more so that campers and low ping bastard score board fags..."

The Honorable Gamer
attributed to Turbo I, circa A.D. 2000

wanna form an Honorable Gamers Clan? Open to anything DooM through Quake 3.

Thing is, you can't tell when someone is trying to type or configure their game or something. In Quake3 there's a little word balloon that appears above the player. When I play I just shoot at anyone who isn't me :) I agree about campers and spawn-spot killers though. The bfg is a weapon in the game. I never use it myself if I can help it. I don't look down on those who do use it though.

Guest ArcticFox

I am VERY liberal when it comes to methods of killing--I sport the "if it works, it was meant to" mentality. If you can get the advantage first, you're a better player than the one you beat to it. The way I see it, we should play to win. When it comes to campers, I'll go with the advice of a Quaker who said, "Quit whining and lob a grenade at me." Sure, we don't have grenades, but the idea is the same. Pull a BFG "Peek-A-Boo of Death". Spawn-spot killers may be annoying, but they get their asses whipped good in the long haul. And, like Stphrz said, how do you know if someone is busy talking or fiddling with the settings? Sure, they stand still, but I once tried that just hoping no one would kill me and someone would wander into my crosshairs. Didn't work, I got blowed up anyway. I don't tend to kill on the spawn-spot (because it's not fun), but if someone does I just try to kill 'em.

BUT... playing to win doesn't mean coming in and slaughtering us while we're trying to make a cool screenshot. It also doesn't mean typing "0WN3D!!" every time you get a frag. That just ruins the game. It's useless and annoying, and no one likes a smack-talker.

Guest Kermit
Stphrz said:

Thing is, you can't tell when someone is trying to type or configure their game or something. In Quake3 there's a little word balloon that appears above the player. When I play I just shoot at anyone who isn't me :) I agree about campers and spawn-spot killers though. The bfg is a weapon in the game. I never use it myself if I can help it. I don't look down on those who do use it though.

About the BFG- Look, in a real fight, I'm not going to tie one arm behind my back, then, when the other guy beats my ass, shout-"You fuck! You used both arms!!!" Thats retarded. The BFG is there. It will be used. I've taken out a guy w/ a BFG with a shotgun, and it felt good. It puts more challenge in the game. Thats my opinion, anyway. ;)

The main reason I don't use the BFG is because I'm hopeless with it :). My kill rate with the damn thing is pathetic! In a game of one on one in say MAP07, it's actually a liabilty imo.

Well, that's unfortunate, but when I played, I found that the other players were actually quite civil.

I was dodging a player's rockets, while firing relentlessly with a chaingun. He was pretty good, and dodging them took a lot of effort, but in the end I nailed him. No cursing or yelling, he said "Good one."

Anyway, yes, I too believe in sportsmanship.

Stphrz said:

The main reason I don't use the BFG is because I'm hopeless with it :). My kill rate with the damn thing is pathetic! In a game of one on one in say MAP07, it's actually a liabilty imo.

I actually just beat you in Map07 didn't I? I got frag after frag, over and over.. I got my 49th frag, and spent about 2 minutes desperately trying to kill someone. I couldn't. Isn't that amazing? Then the timelimit hit, and I won 49 to 39, but isn't it neat how it's so hard to get that last kill sometimes? Wow... :)

Yeah you did. You are good with that BFG. I still, after all this time can't seem to figure out how to use it right. About the only time I ever use it is when I happen to spawn right beside it. Then I run around shooting it and end up getting no kills...most of the time :). You may have noticed my favorite weapons are the rocket launcher and plasma gun. I'm half assed with the ssg too.

Guest fod_vile
ArcticFox said:

A real good doomer in UK was soo good in 4 player doom with bfg that he even made a lmp of some of his kills as demo, his best "trick" was to jump off top ledge at start1 on level 1 backwards firing bfg so it was silenced by the grunt of hitting floor, run into shotgun room backwards and kill the 3 other players dukin it out with shotguns, seems bfg secondary fire is delayed more if you fire it while running backwards or something? never got hang of it myself :) he could also fire bfg into rocket room, and straffe down corridor towards plasma and kill anyone to the left of corridor, he was good at it I give him that. :)

Guest Turbo I

Dudes! Check out the following:
http://quake.kics.bc.ca/

and take a look at the code of conduct.
One thing I would add, is if you are standing with your nose in a corner, you are chatting and should not be messed with. Not possible in all maps though.

Happy frags!