Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insomniak

Doom Addiction

I think i'm addicted...

A few years ago, I had a friend named Joel Anderson who was very good at Doom and other games. Only problem he had was that he had very low marks at school. During his grade 12 year, he started having massive migrane headaches. His CAT scan showed nothing wrong, but the headaches kept coming.

Just when he was about to write his final, he said he couldn't do it. He went home, and his parents caught him playing Doom instead of resting.

Now it's about 4 years later, and I'm finding myself stuck in a similar predicament. I am getting below 50% in Science, and tomorow is my grade 10 finals.

Is it possible that Doom is the cause of my low marks, and if so, should I go into withdrawel?

Your comments are always welcome.

I bought a GBA just to play Doom at College....

when I save enough money, I am going to buy a laptop so I can play doom at College...

is this addicting enough for you?

Hmm, I've played Doom for 7 years and nothing's wrong with my grades...

I know your pain... I got addicted to the internet and fucked up pretty much my entire life.

Whoops.

Only thing you can do is excersise your willpower or get rid fo the temptation. I suggst the first, as you can't avoid a computer for the rest of your life.

Doom II Guy said:

Deathman, that's really not that addicting at all.

so I tried :p

Insomniac, I'm sure that if you examine your situation and the reason for failing, you'll see that you simply are not doing the work. Not doing the homework, not doing the studying, or not asking questions when you are unable to complete the homework. If it's not Doom, it'll be something else which is more fun than studying. I've made the same mistakes, been lazy about taking responsibility to get my work done, and paid for it by getting kicked out of college. Lost student deferment, got drafted (yes this was a long time ago). Finally grew up a bit, went back to school, did 100% of the work and hell, it was easy. I got all A's except for two classes. So..it's your determination to do the work that's lacking. Do all of the work first, then reward yourself with a good doom game!

Doom Addiction

Oh shit yo! Is dat what they call dis shit now?! Oh well......

/me smokes more "Doom"
¦]-~

Sleepy get a grip before you mess your life up at the first hurdle. If it's really a problem, why not remove the RAM from your computer and ask your parents to hide it or something?

I personally imagine you're using Doom as an excuse not to do the real work, because you're afraid of the work, the pressure or whatever it is, and your natural instinct is to run away. Doom offers that, it's the best escapism I've ever known.

It's all about what you REALLY want. If you want to study, you'll do it. You need to want it badly enough and trust me it's worth it. Stay the fuck away from IRC and preferably the forums until your exams are over, it's the only way.

All the best.

I played Doom all through my high school years. I got some bad grades but then I got some good grades. Mostly good ones, I think.
The moral? YOU are the reason you're not doing well in school, not Doom. After all, it's not as though Doom holds a gun to your head and tells you to play it. :)

I used to play Doom with a real good lad called Rabel, he was at uni, he got so far behind he decided to delete Doom, around a week later he was back playing :) Eventually he failed uni, but walked into a great job installing satellite e-mail systems on ships, he had to travel to wherever the ships docked next so he could do whatever it was that needed doing, he went to Brazil, America etc, all over the world, damn fine job.
So everything isn't always screwed if you mess up

Insomniac said:

BTW pritch, how'd you become a mod?

Lüt needed someone regular and responsible to check up on General.

Anyway you should be working for your exams!

You know... motion sickness is probably just as onery as depression. I bet there's 100's of subtle levels of it. After years and years of exposure to things that would drive someone with full on motion sickness to puke, maybe your 5% motion sickness is affecting your brain.

Either that or you need to start eating more meals per day and limit your sleep to 6-8 hours a day. No more, no less.

If it took years of variation from that pattern to fuck you up how long will it take to unfuck you? Well they say now that your body gets benefits from it's very first workout, even if you haven't touched weights or jogged in years or ever. So hey man, it can't hurt.

deadnail said:

You know... motion sickness is probably just as onery as depression. I bet there's 100's of subtle levels of it. After years and years of exposure to things that would drive someone with full on motion sickness to puke, maybe your 5% motion sickness is affecting your brain.

Either that or you need to start eating more meals per day and limit your sleep to 6-8 hours a day. No more, no less.

If it took years of variation from that pattern to fuck you up how long will it take to unfuck you? Well they say now that your body gets benefits from it's very first workout, even if you haven't touched weights or jogged in years or ever. So hey man, it can't hurt.

WTF? I don't have any problems with motion sickness. It's just that Doom feels more important than schoolwork.

Insomniac said:
It's just that Doom feels more important than schoolwork.

Ok, now pay attention: IT IS NOT. It's just a game, while doing schoolwork will get you the grade you need to move on in life. Of course, you KNOW that already. You need to realise what you are doing, and set your priorities straight. If you can't work it out yourself, ask for help from your parents or other people you can trust. Maybe try studying with some friends, or set yourself some workload target you need to finish before doing something else.

succes,

You don;t have to go into withdrawal dude, just limit your Doom playing time and more time studying...it takes willpower but hey it works in the end...unless you totally suck at school, well then you are screwed..

And I thought I was the only one... not so it seems. Insomniak, you DEFINATELY need to put the DOOM away. DOOM is like the Ring of Power that has sway over the will of mortals from Lord Of The Rings if you are familiar with that story. You need to toss your doom disks back into the fires of Mount Doom. Don't wind up like Gollum, Insomniak. You do know what happened to Gollum, don't you?

Pritch, that's how my parents regulate my computer use. No joke. Not with my consent, though. But my dad yanks the memory from my computer and hides it.

I've long struggled with my DOOM addiction. It all started in 8th grade. God was I in love with Doom. It was really bizarre. Not healthy. Abnormal. My grades in school went to shit, studying was replaced my countless hours of blissful slaughtering in the eerie atmosphere of Hell. I don't know why but the allure was insurmountable. I was torn between having a normal life and spending countless hours playing Doom. Ultimately I chose Doom over friends and good grades in school. Doom is a real addiction and like any addiction, is not healthy. My parents used to joke how I should go to Doomer's addictions anonymous.

Maybe I should start a Doomer's Support Group :p

Doom, like every game I know inside and out, is addicting, and I come back to it all the time. Not just because of the gameplay, and the feeling when I play it, but it seems comfortable. I can let my mind wander, and ponder the world around me. People relieve stress and loose themselves in stuff like excercising, reading or playing games. Everyone needs a passive obsession to allow themselves to let go of the world around them. Call it obsession if you will, but it can do good for a person. Think of it, you have a bad day, you can come home, blast thru Doom episode 1, and 30-45 minutes later you feel a world better. Doom is much safer and better alternative to what you COULD be doing.

Now if you start getting withdrawal, and get testy from not playing Doom. Especially getting headaches, it's time to find a new obsession that doesn't affect you as much.

There's my 2 cents.

When I'm not on these forums, I'm usually indulgin in some ZDoom or Legacy. It's either that or working.

Insomniac said:

Now it's about 4 years later, and I'm finding myself stuck in a similar predicament. I am getting below 50% in Science, and tomorow is my grade 10 finals.

i just finished sophomore year too, and i had a below passing grade in science also. my parents think its the internet/computer/tv, as most do, that is making me dumb. however, i pulled a 94 on the science final and passed the course. then i told them i studied of the internet. i dont think they bought it. i can also remember my dad once telling me that doom wouldnt help me in school (when he says doom he means all other games, its just when i first played doom he set it up for me and even played it, and thats all the computer games he knows of). thats probaly true, but i dont think it hurts...

Well, take it from me Insomniac, if you think your addicted, and your doing bad in school, just remember. you have all year to play doom, then at the end of the school year, ditch doom for like a week and study so you pass. repeat cycle until you out of school. <--thats sound advice ;)

I'm not addicted to doom, i can quit whenever i want! but i wont...

Wooah.
That's kinda scary. I got caught up in DOOM a few years ago, it took over my I.T. Coursework...but that is pretty severe...

What do you think is more lethal?
A constant addiction to DOOM or months off DOOM and months of HEAVY DOOM playing..?

Archvile64 said:

What happened to the winking smilie, David?

He realized it wasn't as seductive as his current avatar.