Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

"Puny Computers" (I.E. ZanZan)

Excuse me! I've got a Celeron 433, with 160 MB, 6 GB disk space, SB Live Value, 56k modem, 17" monitor, 44x CDROM, and a 8MB ATI xPert@Work video card. I hardly consider my computer "Puny" or "Ancient"! Do people actually think that due to the simple handicap of not owning a 3D accelerator card, his/her computer automatically become "puny"?? Well, I take pride in my computer, 3D accelerator card or not. I have little interest in this ZanZan TC. Next time, please try and broaden your target audience window. The DOOM community is just that, the DOOM community! When we come down to requiring expensive new equipment to enjoy the many new works of DOOM art, I think we're getting a little carried away. Thank you. :-b

I don't know about getting carried away, but I can't get ZanZan to run. At all :(. I have tried it out on four (count 'em...4) different computers from my own P200 and PII 266 to my brother's PIII500 and his friend's Athalon 800. Each machine has a different 3d accelerator card and widely ranging hardware. All four can run the latest D3D and OpenGL based games (the P200 slogs very slowly though). I'm batting a big fat goose egg getting this TC to work. I keep hearing how much ZanZan rocks. Well I'll probably never know that for myself. Very disappointing.

Guest Sethsez

What versions of ZDoom and ZDoomGL are you using? If they don't work either, then they are probably incompatible. The combination that works on my computer is ZDoom 1.22 and ZDoomGL Beta 0.3. Any other combination won't work for me. Oh, and Andrew, it is not ridiculous to expect a 3D card for this game. Once you play it, you'll know why. There is so much in here that couldn't be done with ZDoom, like the cinematices, the Avedusa, and just about everything else. Besides, you should get a 3D card anyways. Most new games are going to require them now, and, well, so does ZanZan! Trust me, when you play it, you will forget that it is, basically, the Doom engine, since it looks more like Quake II. Also, the game is worth it for the final boss alone. He can throw things at you telepathically (including your own weapon), and when he gets weak, he summons a big-ass snake from the pool of blood that you are fighting in, which jumps madly around the room trying to hurt you....
Sorry, I just got a little carried away. I just love ZanZan so much! :)

Well, though Id love to play this TC, especially after such unbelievable releases like batmandoom, my p166 with NO video cards or anything like that would never even attempt to survive an undertaking such as running it. So, Im unable to enjoy it but eventually I will, so ill just keep it on my hard drive until then.

Unreal has all kinds of special effects and trashing-limb monsters! Quake 2 has.. Well, I'm not sure exactly what Quake 2 has, but I'm sure it has some neat stuff in there.. There are plenty of neat 3D games out there that don't require a 3D accelerator card!! The only point I was really trying to make is that a Sans-3D-Accelerator-Card-Computer does not a Puny Computer make!

ZDoomGl does work without a 3d-card, in software mode however, opengl is really slow (to slow to be playable even on a p450).

Guest Daggah

Andrew, Andrew, Andrew...tsk...

You know, it doesn't really matter that no one can play it...if the guys that made it had fun making it, then that's all that matters. I bet they truly enjoyed being able to use more graphical stuff in their levels...

And that ATI card does suck. :)

But Dag...I want to play it damnit. The guys that made it had their fun. I want my fun too. (end whining).

AndrewB, I feel your pain. I have a 366 with a S3 inc. Trio3d graphics card, which runs ZdoomGL but very very very slowly. I tried map01, and eventually, over a course of four minutes, made it into the second room.

When Zanzan came out, I was anxious to play it, so I just went to a friend's house who has a 700.

By the way, Zanzan is the weirdest game I have ever played. Not weirdest doom addon, weirdest game!

And some of the lower comments are correct. Every bit of this game was created in a way that couldn't possibly work the same way on a non-GL engine.