Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest antaran

Evil&Good

Millions of people testify and belive in things that do not happen or are untrue. Should I believe something because many people say it? The writings in the bible may have a historical basis (I will not deny this), but this does not mean that they depict things as they have happened accurately. I personally have no reason to believe that Christ rose from the dead or performed any miracles whatsoever. The "historical" matter in the holy scriptures does not lie there.

Do you believe in God because people died (or die) for him? People can certainly die for causes based on myth or folklore, or even just one man's words, which may certainly be untrue. Dying for a cause or idea does not necessarily make it better.

I am not saying that Christ was a reactionary, I pointed out the relationship between the belief in a unifying force in nature and certain ideas/postures. I don't even know if Christ himself believed in God. Maybe not, how should I know?

An idea may well be one thing at first, but what becomes of it later is only based on what it was initially. Marginal sects or creeds often become the basis of more general beliefs. Ideas change and facts are lost to us.

Nerull said:

We do not COME from primates, we ARE primates.

Selective amnesia? (Heh...)

I don't believe in God, but if I wanted to, I wouldn't give reasons for it. What's more, I would tell people to please not believe what I believe, for not only could I be very wrong, but I would also know (and I do know) that we are all quite different and cannot really see things in the same light. When different people talk about God they talk about very different things. The problem comes when they make a fuss about it and feel compelled to find common grounds for their beliefs. There's not even a need to say "God" or to believe in an all-powerful being, or to state that there are any specific moral values tied to the "belief". It all only gets in the way...

Find your own way or find not half of another's.