Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Strangest/Most Amusing DOOM occurances. :-b

----------------------------------------
Fun With Artificial Monsters Infight

Nothing is more entertaining than watching two Imps or two Knights fight each other. Theoretically, it is impossible without DeHackEd or some other messy port.. However, a few years back, I got my kicks from loading Doom2, idclev02, iddqd, idclip, idfa, and took off silently for the dark underhall. Not the room with the blue key, but the one next to that one. I will show you how to get two or more imps to fight each other. It's quite tricky, but it shouldn't be too hard.. ;)

There is a barrel (can you see what's coming?) tucked nicely into one of the corners. This works best in skill 4. The trick is to get one of the imps to launch a fireball that explodes the barrel. Normally, one fireball isn't enough, so you would take advantage of the fact that the .DSG files cannot save the monsters' asleep/awake data. That means that when you save the game, as long as the monsters in question aren't in your line of sight (with the exeption of being blocked by a 1-sided linedef, I.E. idclip), when you reload the game, all the monsters which were awake are now asleep. So, if you could weaken the barrels enough to explode on one imp fireball shot, you're in business..

This is tricky.. You want to walk through the wall, right in front of the barrel, awaken an imp, and get him to fire a fireball to explode the barrel. If all goes well, the barrel will explode, injuring one or more nearby imps, and causing bystanding imps to be angry at the imp which threw the fireball which caused the barrel to explode! Maybe imps aren't so dumb after all! :o

This trick can be applied in many different ways. Once in Map23, I managed to persuade a knight into throwing a fireball at a barrel, having it explode in his face, and would you believe it?! He actually started attacking himself!! That's right! I swear to god, he was scratching and clawing himself to death! I guess he wasn't too happy with the way things have been going lately! He'd had enough, hey? Don't fool yourself, this is much more difficult than it sounds! Very rarely has a knight actually turned on himself like that! It's happened, though. If you're bored, then try and see if you can get one of these techniques to work! Then maybe upload the .DSG file for us all to enjoy! Oh, and a bit of advice.. Try this with a -fast option. This might help you in places like Map02, but it may complicate things in Map23. But experiment! See if you can come up with a new wacky invention, Mr. Scientician! I'll leave you quick roundup of ideas... :)

Imp vs. Imp (Good way to start in Map02)
Imp vs. Himself (VERY difficult in Map02)
Imp vs. Imp vs. Imp (EXTREMELY difficult in Map02)

Knight vs. Himself (Quite difficult in Map23)
Knight vs. Knight (Vs. Knight(s)) (Extremelt difficult - They die too often...)

Baron vs. Imp (Hint: Star in E1M9. Quite difficult.)
Baron vs. Himself (Even more difficult in E1M9)

... Any other brainstorms? Would love to hear them ... :-b

Cyb vs. Spide in Map20

This is such an evenly matched fight, I still can't decide who has the advantage. Okay, okay.. Cyb definitely has the winning record, but I HAVE seen Spide win the match, and many times..

Only ONCE in my entire DOOM career have I seen a DRAW. Only ONCE has Spide put the death bullet in Cyb, while Cyb's death rocket for Spide was in mid-air! Only ONCE has there been a simultanious death, leaving an eerily silent cloud of dust (in my imagination) hanging in the air.. I would ask you to try to recreate this event, saving it to a DSG before it actually happens, but we all know that monster agression gets erased when we save, don't we? Therefore, I just thought I'd mention it.. :-b

Strange Splatterings

I might as well make this brief and quick. One of the most shocking things I've ever seen in DOOM was the agression of one Baron toward another Imp. So devastating in fact, that his mighty grizzly-bear-like swipe would turn that Imp into a pile of warm red salsa-like waste. In short, the baron splattered the imp, and I was shocked and amazed. I didn't know it was possible in plain old doom.exe!! That's right, it was E1M9. Were you paying attention? Well, if you were, why not give it a try, and see if you can do it? :)

About the only other amazing splattering I can speak of is in good ol' faithful Map02. Same room, same underhall. This time, it's Imp versus Trooper! Errr, Imp versus Zombieman! Versus Zombie Trooper!! What the heck is his real name, anyway? Anyway, let's just say Imp versus Trooper. Imp fights Trooper, Imp wins, Trooper is SPLATTERED!!! Well, you should have been expecting that, but yes, an imp can splatter a trooper. If the trooper's health is low enough, and the imp's powerful (yeah right) scratch is powerful enough, the Trooper WILL turn gooey! It is rare! No wait, it is VERY rare! If you can manage this feat, or if you have, please tell me about it. I've only done it once or twice, I think.. Then again, I've only purposefully tried to make this happen a few times. Anyway, it's late. So read, share your stories, and be happy. Cheers! :-b

-----
END
-----

Hmm... pretty interesting. Barons splattering imps is common, I think (but why did you say e1m9? imps & barons don't meet in e1). I've seen demons chomp at troopers (and even imps when they're in bad shape!), and gib them. Once or twice I saw two demons biting at each other. In the cod (caverns of darkness, that uses cod.exe, a modified mbf port) demo there is a hellknight (the 1st one, by the bridge) that, if he kills you, will then claw himself to death (he did it more than once, I tell you). One thing I've noticed (in map20) is that the cyberdemon treats the archvile like his mommy. If the archvile attacks him, he wont return the aggression, he'll just suffer it (possibly to death but it takes a long time).

I've seen a demon bite right through a trooper (E1M6 I think), that was pretty cool.
I once saw an imp kill a baron as well, in E2M3. I had been shooting the baron, and he managed to irritate the imp, and one imp fireball took him down.

To the victor I awarded the spoils: a 12 guage shotgun blast to the face.

Myk said:

Hmm... pretty interesting. Barons splattering imps is common, I think (but why did you say e1m9? imps & barons don't meet in e1). I've seen demons chomp at troopers (and even imps when they're in bad shape!), and gib them. Once or twice I saw two demons biting at each other. In the cod (caverns of darkness, that uses cod.exe, a modified mbf port) demo there is a hellknight (the 1st one, by the bridge) that, if he kills you, will then claw himself to death (he did it more than once, I tell you). One thing I've noticed (in map20) is that the cyberdemon treats the archvile like his mommy. If the archvile attacks him, he wont return the aggression, he'll just suffer it (possibly to death but it takes a long time).

It seems as no monster can strike back on an arch-vile other than by accident.

Actually, the name of the Zombie thingies is Former Humans. I was playing a PWAD for Ultimate DOOM called base.wad(base2.zip at FTP.CDROM.COM) and there was one section with a hall with 3 cacodemons at the end and the hall was full of barrels. One time the cacos got too close to the barrels and they shot at me, causing the barrels to explode, after which ALL THREE began attacking each other. I tried repeating it but so far have been unsuccessful. From now on I'm playing with -devparm so that I can take screenshots of funny things.

Maybe you could try recording some demos of this stuff. I'd love to see a Hellknight attack himself.

Guest Antaran
Myk said:

I saw three times when baron and knight were fighting each other. Allways there was barrel between them. And there was done without any tricks (I saw it in Doom ][). Arch-vile can't be attack by any creature (except accidental hit of course).

Guest nitsud
Myk said:

::examines EDGE doom DDF files::
Yep, it appears that no monster is allowed to target the arch-vile. Let's just say it wouldn't be in their best interest to kill one. That's easy to change, though. Heh heh... I wonder what would happen if I made arch-viles resurrectable?

Guest spacedog
Grul said:

It seems as no monster can strike back on an arch-vile other than by accident.

All thattime i wasted on map20 trying to get then baron to kill Archie, if only i'd known.
there's one flag under Misc.(i think) in dehacked if you switch it on then it's a regular free for all, it sure saves ammo

Yes, the "Monsters Infight" tag under MISC. I don't know if that will make monsters attack Arch-Viles, though. :-b

Guest zyvgjc

Does anyone know how to make other monsters attack archviles? Also, I would like to see archviles reviving archviles.

spacedog said:

All thattime i wasted on map20 trying to get then baron to kill Archie, if only i'd known.
there's one flag under Misc.(i think) in dehacked if you switch it on then it's a regular free for all, it sure saves ammo

Well, if you change the Archvile´s ID or Thing Number (Don´t remember), other demons attack him. Other weird thing is if you nullify their frames with the flames, the ones that target you, and make their attacks begin with the last frames, the damage inflicted is reduced a lot. Don´t know why.
And yes, you can make archviles resurrectable. Only add frames and give him a respawn frame. In fact, I´m going to release a MBF only wad with this feature soon, and yes, this is a really pain in the ass. Throw a couple of archviles with some revenants or barons and you have a eternal battle!!

Guest Pikoro

If you wanna see cool fights, try the Doom Wars 0.32 MOD in single player... It's great!!! :-)

know somebody how can I add more mana in the Doom War?... Is there a cheat for this?

Pikoro
Chilean Doomer <---- Sorry for the bad english

Guest spacedog
zyvgjc said:

Does anyone know how to make other monsters attack archviles? Also, I would like to see archviles reviving archviles.

www.studio.club24.co.uk/free4all.deh

there ya go, dunno about archie though, I couldn't be arsed mucking about with frames, alright mabye i will ahve a go

In e1m1 I got Barney (replacement Baron) to hurt himself by blowing up some barrels. Then he stood there for a while and clawed himself to death. This was in shareware Doom v1.2. It's easier to get weird stuff like this to happen in older versions of Doom. In DW's patch section there's a patch to downgrade Ultimate Doom to Doom v1.1 but I haven't tried it yet. I've seen two Cacos bite each other to death after one hurt the other by blowing up a barrel. It's funny how they purposely spit fireballs at each other and do no damage with them. I think I might have been using the shareware v1.2 exe with the full v1.666 wad.

One time in map11 I reloaded a save game where a revenant was shooting a missle at me and the missile just kept circling around me and pillar. It only worked that first time I reloaded it though which is really odd.

I actually went and made a small map around the idea of monsters fighting each other, it's for doom1 e1m8, you need to warp in and get the 4 barons to kill each other to open the exit. And a weird occurance? Well that'd be doom ][ map17, when me and some friends were playing cooperative by null modem, and had the cyberdemon stuck in a corner, and we punched him right in the ass for few minutes before he blew up :D. Oh yea the map should be in cdrom.com soon with the name brnsofun.zip

Today I was fooling around in map08 to check out Andrew Loly's alien skin. First I went into the cyber's room to get the spheres and then I headed to the demons' room (replaced by aliens). As I was watching the sprites it seems the cyberdemon used the teleporter and left his room. The 1st time he ever manages to do that.

Espi said:

I actually went and made a small map around the idea of monsters fighting each other, it's for doom1 e1m8, you need to warp in and get the 4 barons to kill each other to open the exit. And a weird occurance? Well that'd be doom ][ map17, when me and some friends were playing cooperative by null modem, and had the cyberdemon stuck in a corner, and we punched him right in the ass for few minutes before he blew up :D. Oh yea the map should be in cdrom.com soon with the name brnsofun.zip

LOL! I did it, they killed each other! (after a few tries, of course). At one moment the three remaining barons were clawing at each other, then one died and the other two kept at it! I used the few remaining barrels and a some bullets to finish the winner.

AndrewB said:

Yes, the "Monsters Infight" tag under MISC. I don't know if that will make monsters attack Arch-Viles, though. :-b

If monster infighting is on they will act like in the original EXEs, if not, they won't attack each other (though they may hit each other accidentally, of course).