Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Toke

Doomroom

Guest Duke Nukem

your dead on Toke, Doomroom is real unfriendly. I get kicked every time i go for no reason.

I've been there a few times. I haven't had any serious problems. I haven't been flamed or kicked. Some words of advice to someone new: When you log on simply say hi. Then just be quiet for a while and get a feel for what kind of statements and questions are acceptable. Get to know the people there and give them a chance to get used to your presence. You don't have to give your 2 cents on everything said there. Just think before you type and you should be ok. Whatever you do don't give advice or opinions that weren't asked for. Don't try insulting anyone in a joking manner. Remember, they don't know you, and may not realize you are just kidding around. Don't be pushy and try to engage someone in conversation that doesn't want to talk to you at that particular moment. Don't interrupt conversations.
Don't try to become Mr. popularity in one session. Be polite, just like you would in a real life situation.

One more thing, this post is in no way an endorsement of #doomroom or the behavior of some of the individuals there. It's more of a tip on how to survive in a hostile environment.

Yeah, I'm sure they love you too.

*** Join: Toke_[cc] (Toke_[cc]@pm3-12.ppp213.webzone.net)
<Toke_[cc]> ...
<Toke_[cc]> '
<Toke_[cc]> '
<Toke_[cc]> '
<Toke_[cc]> ?
<Toke_[cc]> .........

Guest fod_vile
Duke Nukem said:

your dead on Toke, Doomroom is real unfriendly. I get kicked every time i go for no reason.

yep so unfriendly my post here was removed now that is very sad

I think I missed it. What did you say in your original post?

You did. Someone deleted it. Why I have no idea. Fod's post was removed too apparently. If I remember correctly none of the removed posts had any offensive content. They simply stated a dislike of the behavior of some of the people in #doomroom. An opinion I might add that does have some merit. I have the logs to prove it too.

Stphrz said:

Dead on Stphrz, but you forgot to add that this is the only chatroom that you have to act like that. Doomroom is probably the first chatroom that new doom people come to. Could'nt the moderators be a little more friendly??? They boot and bann new people then complain the doom community is to small. If you all hate new people so much then go somewhere private instead of just banning everyone. Its the only chatroom I have ever been to where people dont respond when a newcomer says hi.

'Tis true what you say. That's the reason I don't go there much.
Actually though I found that the majority of people there were quite nice. The ones that weren't were usually the ones with the power to kick and ban people. A few times when I was there I saw people get pushed around. Most did not do anything to deserve it. I felt like saying something, but I didn't want to get kicked myself so I just kept quiet. I felt like a coward. So I just quit going.

Guest fod_vile
Stphrz said:

I think I missed it. What did you say in your original post?

just that some of the people in #doomroom were elitist geeks that you wouldnt want to spend a damp saturday afternoon with in real life

Guest fod_vile
locust said:

<Toke_[cc]> ...
<Toke_[cc]> '
<Toke_[cc]> '
<Toke_[cc]> '
<Toke_[cc]> ?
<Toke_[cc]> .........

doomserv is so much more user friendly, the log on doomserv would have been " toke enters doomserv." from fod_vile "hi Toke you new?"
From Toke "yes, how are you?"
From NC_VILE "hi Toke welcome to doomserv, need any help?"
etc etc
compared to #doomroom "Toke enters #doomroom, 5 mins silence
From Toke "hello?"
"user Toke was kicked from doomroom"
From (insert name of suitable #doomroom geek) Ferkin lamer !

aurikan said:

You don't like it?
Then don't visit. Easy as that.

If you "dont do doom" then why do you come here? Im not trying to start a fight im just curious.

Stphrz said:

'Tis true what you say. That's the reason I don't go there much.
Actually though I found that the majority of people there were quite nice. The ones that weren't were usually the ones with the power to kick and ban people. A few times when I was there I saw people get pushed around. Most did not do anything to deserve it. I felt like saying something, but I didn't want to get kicked myself so I just kept quiet. I felt like a coward. So I just quit going.

Good for you! Just don't go! It's not the central of the DOOM community! There is much more to the DOOM community than just #doomroom. Me? I've done a great job of staying away. 8 months and counting! It can be an addicting place, really. It's like witchcraft. Honestly, it pulls you back for more. Break away while you can. Just like the quote said. "#doomroom is becoming a bad place to raise our children" ...

It's true, and it doesn't need to be that way. Everyone's fun is spoiled by a few individuals. It's kind of like how 50% of the world's health is in the hands of 6 people. Coincidentally, 50% of the world's population suffers from malnutrition! What am I saying? Don't become dependent on #doomroom! Don't let yourself become addicted! We're all in this together!

locust said:

<Toke_[cc]> ...
<Toke_[cc]> '
<Toke_[cc]> '
<Toke_[cc]> '
<Toke_[cc]> ?
<Toke_[cc]> .........

They love everyone except me dont they?

AndrewB said:

Good for you! Just don't go! It's not the central of the DOOM community! There is much more to the DOOM community than just #doomroom. Me? I've done a great job of staying away. 8 months and counting! It can be an addicting place, really. It's like witchcraft. Honestly, it pulls you back for more. Break away while you can. Just like the quote said. "#doomroom is becoming a bad place to raise our children" ...

It's true, and it doesn't need to be that way. Everyone's fun is spoiled by a few individuals. It's kind of like how 50% of the world's health is in the hands of 6 people. Coincidentally, 50% of the world's population suffers from malnutrition! What am I saying? Don't become dependent on #doomroom! Don't let yourself become addicted! We're all in this together!

Actually this discussion prompted me to log on to #doomroom earlier this morning just to see if anything is different from the last time I was there. It was pretty quiet. Most people were just idling or maybe engaged in private conversations or something. I came and left without being noticed I'm sure. Par for the course :|

fod_vile said:

just that some of the people in #doomroom were elitist geeks that you wouldnt want to spend a damp saturday afternoon with in real life

Yeah, I saw the post. And it may make much more sense now that they removed it :-( I guess they wanted to leave Toke alone on what he said. If posts are to be deleted a sign should appear stating that it was deleted, with the name of whoever deleted it.

fod_vile said:

doomserv is so much more user friendly, the log on doomserv would have been " toke enters doomserv." from fod_vile "hi Toke you new?"
From Toke "yes, how are you?"
From NC_VILE "hi Toke welcome to doomserv, need any help?"
etc etc
compared to #doomroom "Toke enters #doomroom, 5 mins silence
From Toke "hello?"
"user Toke was kicked from doomroom"
From (insert name of suitable #doomroom geek) Ferkin lamer !

You know, that's really not far from the truth or an exaggeration or anything. That's actually happened to me before. Let them wallow in their own filth.. Hey, this is post 2000 on the general board BTW... :-b

Duke Nukem said:

Maybe they don't like Duke Nukem...

Toke said:

If you "dont do doom" then why do you come here? Im not trying to start a fight im just curious.

I think this is one of the few places where he can away with that attitude.

fod_vile said:

I think the one who deleted the post (Linguica?) should answer to any eventual accusations instead of deleting them. If the subject continues to post mindless flaming and unnecessary direct attacks upon a person, then a delete may be in place, and if so with an explanation. Just deleting things hampers the sense of free speech that at least I like.

But I don't know exactly what was in that post, so perhaps the moderator did the right thing. I do however somehow doubt that.

Any posts which were deleted weren't done so by me. I am assuming that it was Mordeth since he's the only other one with moderator access.

Stphrz said:

You did. Someone deleted it. Why I have no idea. Fod's post was removed too apparently. If I remember correctly none of the removed posts had any offensive content. They simply stated a dislike of the behavior of some of the people in #doomroom. An opinion I might add that does have some merit. I have the logs to prove it too.

Maybe we pissed off that hacker agin

Lüt said:

I think this is one of the few places where he can away with that attitude.

Maybe someday he wont be getting away with it, I know more people that him than hate me if you can beleave that. Why dont you do something about the way people are treated in doomroom Linguica?

fod_vile said:

Maybe you should copy your posts to a text file and just post it agin every time they delete it, thats what I do.

Guest fod_vile
Myk said:

Yeah, I saw the post. And it may make much more sense now that they removed it :-( I guess they wanted to leave Toke alone on what he said. If posts are to be deleted a sign should appear stating that it was deleted, with the name of whoever deleted it.

They probably did want to leave Tokes post alone, perhaps they get some "cudos" from being considered "bad" rather like the geeks in science club who have the head of the football team on side when one of their sisters is dating him :) "don't mess with us or we will get (insert name of #doomroom geek) 's sister's b/friend to get you after school" hahahahahaha
I have been in #doomroom a few times never been kicked or banned ( s'pose that don't apply now) :) but I can epathise with them if they get untold number of people dropping in and coming out with stupid statements, rather than remonstrate with said person they kick 'em (power corrupts) but feel they need to encourage people to come in or no one would know how much power they have, it must be boring taking turns kicking one another when there isn't a newbie around :)
Leave them to their own devices I say sad lamers on 486's majority

Megalyth said:

That's where #csdoom comes in.

You mean thats where doomserv's csdoom support comes in?

fod_vile said:

They probably did want to leave Tokes post alone, perhaps they get some "cudos" from being considered "bad" rather like the geeks in science club who have the head of the football team on side when one of their sisters is dating him :) "don't mess with us or we will get (insert name of #doomroom geek) 's sister's b/friend to get you after school" hahahahahaha
I have been in #doomroom a few times never been kicked or banned ( s'pose that don't apply now) :) but I can epathise with them if they get untold number of people dropping in and coming out with stupid statements, rather than remonstrate with said person they kick 'em (power corrupts) but feel they need to encourage people to come in or no one would know how much power they have, it must be boring taking turns kicking one another when there isn't a newbie around :)
Leave them to their own devices I say sad lamers on 486's majority

Power as small as the abilty to boot people in a chat room only currupts assholes. Fod you where a doomserv moderator for a long time and you never booted anyone just to be an asshole.