Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bobbert005

The essecence of Doom

Guest Bobbert005

Due to the fact that I am fairly tired of arguing over csDoom, and do not want to take part in the #doomroom arguments, I thought it was time to change the subject. My question to all you doomers is: which modern-day game do you think best captures the essecence of Doom? Which current game brings back fond memories of blasting through hordes of demons? Or, is there no game yet made that captures the essecence of Doom? Let me know what you think.

I'm soo happy you ask cause until only some weeks ago I thought that all those nice new fps's all suffered from the smart-but-very-few monsters syndrome :o)

But there is one exeption, check out the chehz (i believe) game "serious sam" (still in pre beta), which uses the very good serious engine, that game is increddible, more monsters that even doom usually have, and unexplainable detail in some of the textures and enemy models even on my vodoo II card.

I can't bless that game enough, it has very high detail and some enemy tactics not seen before (like bulls chasing you...)

the only thing thats very unlike doom is the sunny, light maps and the fact that the levels look like in egypt :o)

I think no game has got the same atmosphere that doom had although I do think that halflife is the only game that has succeeded it as the king of FPSs.

Doom is the only game i cant get sick of, i cant say just what it is but doom kicks ass.

Guest bonch

The "essecence" of Doom was the element of survival.

I think the aichent megacrive game 'zero tolerance' was a lot like doom,probably cause doom was the best fps around then so it was based on it,even though zt had some more adavnced features,like damagable walls,fires that you could put out,loads of weapons,bloodsplats running down walls (not even legacys got that!)-problem was the hilarious resolution and the actual 'playing area' was about the size the quote box when you post on the forum (just below as i write this) and it had one huge status bar with the map on.

Guest doomgod12345
bitstate said:

I'm soo happy you ask cause until only some weeks ago I thought that all those nice new fps's all suffered from the smart-but-very-few monsters syndrome :o)

But there is one exeption, check out the chehz (i believe) game "serious sam" (still in pre beta), which uses the very good serious engine, that game is increddible, more monsters that even doom usually have, and unexplainable detail in some of the textures and enemy models even on my vodoo II card.

I can't bless that game enough, it has very high detail and some enemy tactics not seen before (like bulls chasing you...)

the only thing thats very unlike doom is the sunny, light maps and the fact that the levels look like in egypt :o)

the only game in my book that has impressed me after doom is half-life

If you are such a doom god where are you COMPET-N records?

deathbringer said:

I think the aichent megacrive game 'zero tolerance' was a lot like doom,probably cause doom was the best fps around then so it was based on it,even though zt had some more adavnced features,like damagable walls,fires that you could put out,loads of weapons,bloodsplats running down walls (not even legacys got that!)-problem was the hilarious resolution and the actual 'playing area' was about the size the quote box when you post on the forum (just below as i write this) and it had one huge status bar with the map on.

Haha, I remember that game; God was that bad. Wolf3D had much better graphics.

Teppic said:

If you are such a doom god where are you COMPET-N records?

Maybe he likes deathmatch and not single player.