Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

rorDoom ? Still interesting ?

I see a lot of ports moving to EDGE nodes system...
As some of you know, I'm in charge of the port called rorDoom. I'd just like to know if you think it is still of interest to continue the work on rorDoom (which uses a different system to obtain room over room effects).

Let me know what you think ;-)

IMO you should continue work on it! When I look how EDGE runs with -truebsp on my computer... Best would be a combination of rorDooM and EDGE: rorDooM for not visible room over room and the EDGE stuff for cool 3D effects :)

Definately continue working on it. EDGE is cool but for some people it requires too much CPU power.

Yes, continue work on it. I like the way that you can just overlay sectors to create the room over rooms. Personally, I don't really care whether you can make 3D bridges; they are nice, but not mandatory. If you could make a clean room-over-room implementation that would be great.

Interesting how you care so little about Doom anymore and yet find the time to post revelations such as this.

aurikan said:

another example of how the community doesn't care about the coders...

???
Just stop.

Please.

Definitely. Just a couple of brief points (I've emailed Julian with some more technical detail)

EDGE's system is catered towards 3d bridges (ie can see over and under at the same time). You can do room-over-room using this same technique but it's a bit of a hack, and hence, very slow. rorDoom's technique, on the other hand, won't let you build 3d bridges however it's way (afaik, given the source isn't released, hint hint :) of doing room over room is far superior for pure room over room situations.

The GLNODES standard doesn't really do much for room over room, it's just a slightly cleaner version of the standard structures. You can't actually store any information in the GLNODES you can't store in the normal nodes; however, by it being in the GLNODES, the code has a sort of guarantee that the information contained adheres to certain constraints.

locust said:

(afaik, given the source isn't released, hint hint :)

The source will be released for the next version.
Just have to clean up a lot of things...

aurikan said:

Now you are just getting ridiculous.

ONLY continue to work on the port if it gives you pleasure to do so, or for another reason central to yourself, i.e. to learn or something. Don't do stuff for people unless you wan't to, its not a job its a hobby :)

I ran a couple of rorDoom maps. I really liked it. And Boom is such a solid port to work from (though if you add full MBF support I'll bow even lower). Hey, no one wants a monopoly, and, as we can already tell, both ports have differences already. It'll be great if you continue.

aurikan said:

Anyone got a copy of Lee Killough's massive parting statement?

I'll have a look for it, I think it was in the mbf source code release.