Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Episode 4

Just curious: how exactly does Episode 4: Thy Flesh Consumed fit in with the original Doom trilogy?

Doom trilogy?

Yeah well mosquito bites are gay and anyway episode 4 is like a small prequel to Hell on Earth... just assume that Doom 2 Map01 doesn't take place immediately after you kill the Spidermind at Dis and teleport to earth and you've got the gist of it.

It was kind of a prequel, except it has the problem of completelt outdoing Doom II's first few maps :)

In PSX version, it boasted two superb secret levels, including the hilarious Club Doom.

I haven't played E4 for ages, I will tonight.

Thy Flesh is some kind of city or town completely corrupted by the hell-spawns and warped into a hellish gothic citadel. It is some kind of an outpost of hell, remember that it is placed near that "hiden door" found at the end of Inferno.

What I'm not sure what was realeased first, Thy Flesh Consumed, or DOOM 2. Can someone tell me?

Vegeta said:

What I'm not sure what was realeased first, Thy Flesh Consumed, or DOOM 2. Can someone tell me?

Doom 2 was released - THEN UDoom.

Thy Flesh Consumed didn't fit too damn well to the trilogy - it was just thrown in. That's why I'm not too fond of it - I tend to play it seperately, whereas I like to play the original three in order just for the sake of the continuity of the story.

'Thy Flesh Consumed' took place inbetween 'Inferno' and 'Hell on Earth'.
Architecture-wise, it kicked arse and showed up most of Doom II's maps for the half-baked attempts that they were.

Yes, E4 was asthetically pleasing, much more so than Doom2 anyway, but it's design was so freakin' repetitive.

Although it's cool how the level names made a cool little poem.

Spike said:

Architecture-wise, it kicked arse and showed up most of Doom II's maps for the half-baked attempts that they were.

Hmm, I dunno about that - it still just looked like E3 style Hell maps to me.

I don't like EP4. It's too repetitive and boring. The marble theme is only good for *so* long.

Shaviro said:

I don't like EP4. It's too repetitive and boring. The marble theme is only good for *so* long.

Exactly. One level.

ep4 kicks ass. It's the best of the id episodes imo, about equal with plutonia. Of course e1 through e3 has a lot more nostalgic value...

I thought ep 4 was alright but it didnt have the same feel as the rest of the eps. I think that if was included as a normal, seperate wad, it would have made more sense. Having it at the end of the trilogy just kinda throws you off.

gatewatcher said:

thy flesh consumed was a good doom2 prequel, but i dont understand how the doomguy got from episode3 to TFC.

Winged monkeys carried him there, duh.

hmmm... Episode 4 is quite cool I think. It's definitely the hardest of the doom episodes, which is good for someone who plays doom a lot. I don't care for doom2 so much. Of the original 3 episodes, I like episodes 1 and 2 best. Episode 2 is great for tyson. Oh yeah, I don't think episode 4 has a storyline. It's just there for the levels.

gatewatcher said:

thy flesh consumed was a good doom2 prequel, but i dont understand how the doomguy got from episode3 to TFC.

HE STEPS THROUGH THE PORTAL AND BACK TO EARTH AND HE HOPES NO HELLSPAWN CAME THROUGH WITH HIM OR SOMETHING

I hate the transition between E3 and E4.

Doomguy steps through a doorway in Hell after kicking the SM's ass, he arrives on the green fields of Earth, only to see that a severed rabbit head is impaled on a pole in front of a burning city, THE END (*blam*blam*blam*blam*) - then suddenly, *plop*, the Doomguy is in some sort of weird, hellish demon city, Doomguy fights his way through this Hell city and finally kicks one of the SM's many twins' ass, *woosh*, suddenly the Doomguy is back in front of the burning city as if the whole of E4 never happened, holding the bunny head in his blood-soiled, gloved hand.

Really stupid and un-professional.

Well I just played through E4 again for like the first time in ages. Yeah it doesn't fit in at all but I appreciated just how much I prefer playing them to most of the Doom II maps.

They are consistently themed, with interesting architecture and good variation. They play hard and true for what are essentially small maps with less than 100 monsters in most.

The most retarded thing I found was I think in M4 where there are 22 secrets, and 19 of them are revealed walking up each step in a staircase!

E4 rules! I remember when I got The Ultimate Doom for Xmas and I ended up playing E4 for like the whole next week. I was like 'Whee this is fun and they're using all my favorite textures'.

I like E4. The level-to-level flow wasn't that spectacular (still beats Doom2 though) but individually the levels were quite nice, especially E4M6, probably one of the best Ultimate Doom maps in the game. E4M9 was also a masterpiece. I just would have liked some new music to go with it.

Lüt said:

E4M9 was also a masterpiece.

WORD! The style of the level and the texture completely owns.

E4M6 and especially E4M9 were the only levels I remotely liked from E4.

If you want to see what E4 should have been like, go play Vengeance.wad.

as far as actually playing doom goes, im not so great. so i finally played ep4 for the first time ever all the way thru yesterday, UV. my main impression was too much goddamn ammo!! sheesh, it was ridiculous. other than that, good episode.