Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bobbert005

The requirements for Doomgod status...

Guest Bobbert005

I have asked myself the question before: what makes somone a doomgod? Is it being able to beat all three original episodes on UV and being able to beat Thy Flesh Consumed? Is it being able to run through Doom2 on Nightmare in 20 minutes? Or is it the ability to dominate all of your deathmatch opponets? Let me know what you think! And while we are on the subject of difficulty, what do you think is the hardest Doom 1 map and the hardest Doom2 map? I think for Doom 1 the hardest map is Gate to Limbo, I _despise_ that level. As for the hardest Doom2 map, I think that would be The Pit. I also _despise_ that level.

I think the hardest doom 1 level is e2m7 (they attack you at beginning). Gate to limbo is easy becasue you can just engage your enemies from a distance there.
Hardest doom2 level would have to be a tie between map29 and map13 (both are big, but harder than map15 was).
Hardest Thy flesh consumed level was e4m6 (big monsters in close quarters, lava).

As for doomgods, there are different levels of doomgod, beating doom2 on nightmare in 20 minutes would be the highest level.
I can beat all 4 doom1 episodes without dying more that 2 times on ultra-violence so I consider myself a doomgod.
But I can't pull off doom2 in nightmare in under 2 hours and without dying numerous times.
As for final doom, I have never played it (heard it was 64 levels though).

I love gate to limbo, and the pit is cool (although a bit difficult of a stumbling block though).

There is no single definition for what makes one a Doomgod. There are different kinds of doomgods, and the application for single player has different applications than Deathmatch players.

Relative to deathmatch, one characteristic of Doomgods is that they are so highly advanced in their game that when they play one another, score differences are the result of stylistic differences and not gross strategic deficiencies or technical reasons such as accuracy in high-speed movement and aim. This can result in unexpected scores within a group of doom gods: for example, God 1 wins over God 2, God 2 wins over God 3, but God 3 consistantly has a closer score to God 1 than God 2 does. This means that games between one set of doom-gods cannot be used to predict the outcome of a game with a third doom-god, regardless of what the comparative scores may indicate. Also, some deathmatch Doomgods are not god-like in 100% of the doom maps and 100% of circumstances (although most are well above average everywhere). Some end up being specialized like this to a higher degree than others. Another thing about deathmatch doomgods is that it can be hard to tell if you've become one, or if the person you are playing against is one. This is because Doom2 deathmatch skill is very tiered, meaning, a player can think he has gone about as high as he can go, but there actually exists two or even three higher levels of skill which he has not experienced. You could be at level 3 skillwise, and mistake someone you are playing at level 4 for a doom-god because of a large score difference, while not realizing that the real doom-gods are up at level 5 and would beat your level 4 friend as badly as he beats you.

In terms of single player, I can't give much input. I suspect a bunch of the Compet-n guys qualify, and could come up with a definition of their own that would make sense.

--BahdKo

When I grow up, I want to be a Doom God!

sirgalahadwizar said:

I think the hardest doom 1 level is e2m7 (they attack you at beginning). Gate to limbo is easy becasue you can just engage your enemies from a distance there.
Hardest doom2 level would have to be a tie between map29 and map13 (both are big, but harder than map15 was).
Hardest Thy flesh consumed level was e4m6 (big monsters in close quarters, lava).

As for doomgods, there are different levels of doomgod, beating doom2 on nightmare in 20 minutes would be the highest level.
I can beat all 4 doom1 episodes without dying more that 2 times on ultra-violence so I consider myself a doomgod.
But I can't pull off doom2 in nightmare in under 2 hours and without dying numerous times.

I love gate to limbo, and the pit is cool (although a bit difficult of a stumbling block though).

IM always number 1 or 2 in CSDooM, so i consider myself a DooMGoD.

Well, I think that anyone who still plays DOOM despite the newer games that have come out and the fact that it is over 5 years old definitely qualifies to be a DOOM god, or at least maybe a demigod.

Shaviro said:

IMO you have to look at the ping rates in internet play: when you're playing on a T1 with a ping of 40, the other play on a 28.8 modem with a ping of 500 you can't say that you're much better when you've much more frags. Also, when you're only playing against newbies (may happen, don't know though) you can't say that you're a DooM God.

Shaviro said:

Well your relatively new and stuff so I wouldnt consider you a doomgod. Now, Bahdko is a doom god whether she'd like to admit it or not ;)

geekmarine said:

Well, I think that anyone who still plays DOOM despite the newer games that have come out and the fact that it is over 5 years old definitely qualifies to be a DOOM god, or at least maybe a demigod.

Wow thats awfully generous of you :) I must say I'd certainly disqualify some people from being a demidoomgod...

Guest Bobbert005
sirgalahadwizar said:

You're right of course sirgalahadwizard neither Gate to Limbo or the Pit are hard, I just hate them :( Funny, though, I never thought e2m7 was that hard. I have beaten all three original Doom episodes on UV without dying, and have beaten Thy Flesh Consumed on Hey, Not Too Rough so I consider myself at least a demidoomgod :) I can't play over the internet, my ping is too high :( I think the level I am best at is Wolfenstein , map 31, I can beat that on UV with 100% everything, and I have also beaten the par time :)

Shaviro said:

Try logging onto a server where the -vile guys hang out. I promise, you will get beaten like a rented mule :)

boris said:

IMO you have to look at the ping rates in internet play: when you're playing on a T1 with a ping of 40, the other play on a 28.8 modem with a ping of 500 you can't say that you're much better when you've much more frags. Also, when you're only playing against newbies (may happen, don't know though) you can't say that you're a DooM God.

Ping is everything in csdoom, I have to laugh at guys sitting on their own servers with pings of 28, telling themselves they are good because they win most games.
doomserve is much more equalising its peer to peer so both suffer from same difficulties, the better player is the one who can adjust from a ping game of sub 100 to playing someone at 300
I think best player I have seen around so far since csdoom boom is Ocelot from Finland

boris said:

but... depending on where the server is situated, the guy with the 28.8 modem could just as easy end up with the 40ms ping and the T1 with the 500ms, afaik ping is about how good/long (time between the ping and the responce pong) your connection is, not the bandwidth...

mmmh... I'm the worst Doom player of all times.
But I think there are other ways to be a Doomgod ;-)

Beat Doom source code and you're one !

Teppic said:

Wow thats awfully generous of you :) I must say I'd certainly disqualify some people from being a demidoomgod...

I think im the one thats played the most DooM here. About an hour o day, in 6 years * 356=2000=90 DAYS IN A ROW. Beat that people.

Stphrz said:

Try logging onto a server where the -vile guys hang out. I promise, you will get beaten like a rented mule :)

I did once (i think) Their asses were kicked. i think i was number 2.

Teppic said:

Well your relatively new and stuff so I wouldnt consider you a doomgod. Now, Bahdko is a doom god whether she'd like to admit it or not ;)

Maybe im new, but older than all of you, doom related. Im sure.

bitstate said:

but... depending on where the server is situated, the guy with the 28.8 modem could just as easy end up with the 40ms ping and the T1 with the 500ms, afaik ping is about how good/long (time between the ping and the responce pong) your connection is, not the bandwidth...

Yes, I have a T1 connection and my ping is about 600 (cause I'm in South America).

Shaviro said:

I think im the one thats played the most DooM here. About an hour o day, in 6 years * 356=2000=90 DAYS IN A ROW. Beat that people.

Your a bit arrogant. Sit down, record some new COMPET-N demos and perhaps then we can talk.

Guest Daggah
BahdKo said:

Bahdko! Long time no see! You probably don't even remember me. :)

Guest Rambo
Shaviro said:

Well, I know that I'm a Doomgod as I can play in lag as high
as 800-1000 (this is what I always get) without problem and I often finish 2nd or 3rd in csdoom. Sometimes I win.

This is by Adam Williamson who can't post for some reason.

hmmm. well bahdko wrote an absolutely great definition of a deathmatch DoomGod, and on her qualifications
there's no one playing CSDoom today who approaches that level. Well, Yerac played it a couple of times so I
guess he's the only one. Maonth, well, I kicked your ass yesterday and i certainly wouldn't say i'm a DM doomgod,
so forget that one. so who are the deathmatch doomgods? well, i'd say anyone who has a profile on BahdKo's page
(www.dx.net/doom2), plus the guys at Clan ZAP - go to http://zap.clanhappy.com - especially Marijo Sedlic and
Zvonimir Buzanic. Marijo Sedlic would be my choice as overall DoomGod in fact, since he's the only guy I can think
of who has a legitimate claim to DoomGod status in BOTH categories - single player and deathmatch. So, single player
DoomGods, what's the requirements and who are they?

well all the posts in this thread so far are, i'm afraid, bloody laughable. being able to complete doom1 and doom2 on
uv mode is pretty easy and is nowhere near doomgod status if we're comparing to bahdko's deathmatch DoomGod status.
Anyone who can complete Doom2 on nightmare, from scratch, in one go is automatically a DoomGod, and there's only three
of them (four if you include co-operative mode) - Thomas "Panter" Pilger, Vincent Catalaa and Henning Skogsto. Being
able to complete all four episodes of Doom1 on Nightmare, each in one go from scratch (by this i mean no savegames and
no dying) also qualifies you, and there's only one person who's done this - Adam Hegyi. Anders Johnsen has done the
Doom2 NM thing in co-operative mode with Henning, so that combined with other stuff he's done also qualifies him.
Marijo's sp god status comes from his excellent single-level demos, particularly lv24-037. all other compet-n players
with a significant amount of points must be at or near doomgod status, also, and i'm afraid that includes me, heh.

so what are my overall categories for doomgod? well there's a few. Doing any of the runs i've mentioned would qualify
you - Doom2 on nightmare or all Doom1 episodes on nightmare, from scratch, no dying, no savegames. Other than that i'd
say you'd need a significant (say 25+) amount of compet-n points, _plus_ one or two stand-out demos...for instance, John
Rimmer's lv03-023. Doing one really knockdown incredible demo that is thought impossible would also qualify - Marijo
Sedlic's lv24-037 is an example here, or Adam Hegyi's lv07-046. finally there's the historical DoomGods - who were, for
their era, on the same level, although all or most of their compet-n play has been eclipsed nowadays. In this category
I would place Yonatan Donner, Peo Sjoblom, Daniel "DemonLord" Lindgren, and possibly one or two others - suggestions
please from those more historically minded :). so here's my list of sp DoomGods, with qualification
(in no particular order):

Marijo Sedlic - 26 Compet-N points; lv24-037; misc speed and nomo runs. Also IMO a DM doomgod, check demos at clan page.

Adam Hegyi - 118 Compet-N points; Doom1 nightmare episode collection; umpteen incredible record demos, especially lv07-046.

Henning Skogsto - 134 Compet-N points; 30nm4048.

Anders Johnsen - 102.5 Compet-N points; no really stand-out demo that I can think of, though i'm sure there are some...
but the sustained excellence of his huge set of Doom1 record demos.

Thomas "Panter" Pilger - 32 Compet-N points; 30nm4949 (first non-cheated run of Doom2 on nightmare).

Vincent Catalaa - 38.5 Compet-N points; 30nm4958 (Vince has also done at least two other 30nm runs).

Johnathan Rimmer - 30 Compet-N points; lv03-023.

Yonatan Donner - historic, incl his Compet-N play (also possibly his incredible and still current e1m1 max record, 0:32),
and his great play in many, many demopacks.

Peo Sjoblom - Compet-N and demopack play.

Daniel "Demonlord" Lindgren - Compet-N play (he still holds many tyson records).

and the newest entrant to this status, i'd argue: Radek "R Master" Pecka. Only 1 Compet-N point, but it's a doozy: ty32-114.

it's interesting to note that there's one way in which sp DoomGod status is very similar to DM DoomGod status: there are
people who are gods in certain levels or categories, but not others. Radek is a good example here: he says himself he's
not good at speedrunning, but he's the absolute *master* of map32 tyson play, and punching cyberdemons generally...so for
this he gets the ranking.

i can't really judge myself on this basis, being somewhat biased ;), but i think i have some claim to similar status...
based on my 49 compet-n points. for standout demos, i'd pick my ep1 speedrun record (ep1-0515), my ep1 speed and pacifist
demos, and lv19-040. any compet-n'ers feel like judging me? :)

i'd also like to make a few suggestions for SP demigod status: all with more than 3 compet-n points, and all high-ranked
Public DANG players. Notable in this category: Arno Slagboom, Marko Van Der Want, Ole "Hartvix" Hartvigsen, Andy "Aurikan"
Kempling (yeah, for those of you complaining about him, he's not half bad at Doom...extra credit for that e2m7 jump Andy...).

comments, arguments, flames, suggestions for gods welcome. :)

adamw
--
Adam Williamson

Guest Bobbert005

Man, Adam, that's pretty harsh there. There are different levels of doomgods you know, and I think most of the ones you were talking about would qualify as Ultra-doomgods in my book. And don't underestimate UV. It can throw you for a loop if you're not careful.

Daggah said:

Bahdko! Long time no see! You probably don't even remember me. :)

hmm your're right, I'm afraid I don't. Not by that nickname anyway. I might remember with more details tho.

BahdKo said:

Hey, are there any demos available of you in action. If there are I'd like to see them. Maybe I might learn something :)

Ooops, heh. Never mind. I just saw the link to your site :)

Shaviro said:

No , sorry i and i spose many others have played more than that, altho the time i have played does not seem to have improved my skills, it's still many many hours higher than yours

Bobbert005 said:

Man, Adam, that's pretty harsh there. There are different levels of doomgods you know, and I think most of the ones you were talking about would qualify as Ultra-doomgods in my book. And don't underestimate UV. It can throw you for a loop if you're not careful.

Doom episodes 1-3 on UV are very easy. Anyone who's decent at Doom should be able to go through them with no problem.

Stphrz said:

Ali-vile?

Linguica said:

Just out of curiosity, AdamW or AdamH ... was that one of the first rocket-jumps in doom/2?

I can only think of one before that offhand - the e1m4 jump illustrated by Steffen Winterfeldt or whoever ... which has now been replaced by a strafe50jump. I can't for the life of me remember if I came up with that on my own or if I saw someone else RJ elsewhere and I decided to try it on that gap...

Well Andy, the first rocketjumper in DOOM must've been someone from id Software, who invented the secret exit in E3M6 (Mt. Erebus). Sure you can press the switch from outside, or jump in there without a rocket, but I think those are not what id thought of.
Apart from what, the E1M4 jump from Steffen Winterfeldt is a good guess... but your E2M7 jump was surely the one which started the craze.

fodders said:

No , sorry i and i spose many others have played more than that, altho the time i have played does not seem to have improved my skills, it's still many many hours higher than yours

But u have found out of that this year i have doubled my time

so i have now 4000 hours 180 days in a row, thats half a year!!!