Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fodders

Internet Deathmatch Doom FAQ

To deathmatch on line the easiest way is to make sure you have the correct versions of Doom, the most important being Doom2 v1.9
You now need:Any/Either/All of the following in no specific order:
CSDoom
ZDaemon
IDE (internet doom explorer)
Doom Connector
Skulltag
Khan seems to be the option of choice for people wanting to use original Doom2.exe
Run and set paths, then hey presto , online Dooming.

fodders said:

And? Was it ok?

Yeah, it was cool. I'd played Quake 2 multiplayer before, and sometimes I still do, so it wasn't a completely new experience. It would be 10X better if it wasn't for the lag. Oh, and shit, I just played it once and I'm pretty sure the one guy had an invincibility cheat on! I shot him with rockets and everything, didn't die! With 5 players, he didn't die once. Bastard...

Modem? Yeh that can suck, try changing dial up settings in control panel, you really need compression off, error correction off, if it's a winmodem, you need flow control set to software. hardware if it's a real modem :), try the internet settings in System mechanic it's free for 30 days
And if the guy you played had a name anything like nightfall yes you are correct

Doom II Guy said:

Me = idiot

No, I suppose it's a while back since he brought it out, subconcious probe to NightFang about v1.0, and you were right about the cheating :)

RailGunner said:

ide automatically searches for a master server when i bring it up. it then quits if I press cancel

I find that very annoying sometimes, but you just have to live with it.

Hey, we need some more tutorials for newbies, we need some more players.

MaTT [TiK] said:

I find that very annoying sometimes, but you just have to live with it.

In IDE under "option1" deselect "Set autorefresh at startup", see if that helps

TorntheDark said:

Hey, we need some more tutorials for newbies, we need some more players.

Heh, well, I'm about to start DMing after reading the first two (of three) sections of that tutorials you told me about. I've learnt a lot of stuff from it since yesterday evening, so hopefully I'm gonna be a very slightly better player now. I think we should recommend that to n00bs. Then again, maybe we should let them remain n00bs for taking so long to find our community, plus we'll have fun blasting the shit outta them, heh.

fodders said:

In IDE under "option1" deselect "Set autorefresh at startup", see if that helps

Oh thanks, never realised that was there. I can't remember why the auto-refresh annoyed me now, but if it ever does again, I'll do that.

Here you can find every patch for Doom and Doom II, even the 1.666 to 1.9, ffs, it even has the Doom to Ultimate Doom patch.

But doesn't the Doomworld patch page also have all the patches, as well as the Heretic ones? Anyway, I'm glad you posted that URL cos I finally have the Windows Sniper back :) I had it before but forgot about it.

Damn it, can't you choose a Doom II directory? Cos it says on the site to make sure your Doom 2 files are in c:\doom2 but I keep my stuff in c:\doom and my doom2.exe (along with a copy of doom2.wad) is in c:\doom\2. Oh well, if not, I'll make a third folder with doom2.wad in it, heh. And (not that I have spaces in my doom directory names) can't you even put the files in folders with spaces in the names if you tell doomserv the DOS names of them (eg. "Program Files" = "progra~1" in DOS and "Doom 2" = "doom2" in DOS)?

No, but you do not need the iwad in Doomserv folder, just the Doomserv files, the rest is pointed to in set up, but no spaces in path I am afraid. No big deal once you know about it.