• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mechasam

doom2 + zdoom = quake?

::sigh::

i just downloaded securitron and played it... ::sigh::

its just like playing quake.. um.. this is Doomworld right? not "lets change doom into quake"world right?

Yea, i hate that stuff. Doom is perfect, it doesnt need any fucking 3d floors or anything!!
Boom is the only sourceport that's not overloaded with bullshit... well, that's my opinion. I don't mind EDGE, ZDoom and all that, just don't make me use them. =)

A purist eh? I think a lot of people feel the same way you do.

DiSTuRBeD said:

Yea, i hate that stuff. Doom is perfect, it doesnt need any fucking 3d floors or anything!!
Boom is the only sourceport that's not overloaded with bullshit... well, that's my opinion. I don't mind EDGE, ZDoom and all that, just don't make me use them. =)

it is called being able to turn off the stuff you dont want......
hate freelook? you can turn it off...hate 3d floors? dont download any wad that has them...despise chasecam? heck,you can even run zdoom in low resolution to get the original feel of doom...dont get me wrong, DooM is a great game but what randy is trying to do is simply to make it more up to date...

anyway, if you are a purist, why are you here?

Yeah but to be honest thats all zdoom has... turn off mouselook and jumping and you've just got a slower version of mbf.

BuffGUh said:

it is called being able to turn off the stuff you dont want......
hate freelook? you can turn it off...hate 3d floors? dont download any wad that has them...despise chasecam? heck,you can even run zdoom in low resolution to get the original feel of doom...dont get me wrong, DooM is a great game but what randy is trying to do is simply to make it more up to date...

anyway, if you are a purist, why are you here?

The truth is that even if you turn it all off you'll still have the flying monsters getting stuck together due to the crappy thing over thing feature. This feature actually gives the port its name. I've noticed I'm a purist. "Why are you here?" Weird question. You probably have a wrong conception of the word "purist." I'll play a zdoom based WAD if it's good, but the truth is that in most cases ambient sounds and scripting only get in the way. You might as well play a game that integrates them correctly (is made with such features in mind), or simply wait for the new DOOM. Use zdoom and do zdoom stuff all you want, but check you need to say it's a fact that it's better. It has some features that may be fun under certain uses...

...but after all, let's face it, zdoom is the Windows of DOOM.

Guest Nuno Correia

That does not make any sense.

Guest Nuno Correia
Teppic said:

Yeah but to be honest thats all zdoom has... turn off mouselook and jumping and you've just got a slower version of mbf.

Let's all kill Randy Heit because his port uses code from other ports and games. Let's all kill him because he put mlooking and jumping in ZDoom. I keep wondering why you hate that port. Once I was in #doomroom, talking about ZDoom. Then some op said something like "No soup for you" and that I should be playing SMMU. What's the problem, goddamnit?

mechasam: it's not ZDoom that makes Doom look like Quake, IT'S THE TC YOU PLAYED! If it was made for regular Doom, then it would look like Quake, wouldn't it?

jon: ZD actually runs faster than mbf :)

You only doubt that? So you have not actually tried ZDooM? Why do all ops at #doomroom hate ZDooM??? I can't say that SMMU or MBF or whatever other port runs slower that some other port, but ZDooM is *very* fast on my computer.

Guest Nuno Correia
aurikan said:

i seriously doubt that

Well, you'll never know, since both ports have the 35 fps limit.

tarin said:

You only doubt that? So you have not actually tried ZDooM? Why do all ops at #doomroom hate ZDooM??? I can't say that SMMU or MBF or whatever other port runs slower that some other port, but ZDooM is *very* fast on my computer.

same here....

Guest Psycho
Nuno Correia said:

On one of my computers, ZDoom runs at ~10 fps where mbf gets 30-35 fps.

Beat that with a stick.

ZDoom is more like Quake with Doom gameplay. That doesn't have to be bad, just different.

tarin said:

They dont. get your facts right for gods sake, stop throwing everyone in the same basket.

Teppic said:

No, something akin to boom, not mbf.

aurikan said:

i seriously doubt that

interesting ... i make one simple comment and now people are accusing me of not knowing, hating zdoom, et cetera.

if you all care so much, why don't you find out for yourself. run a timedemo.

Nuno Correia said:

The 35 fps limit does not apply to timedemos.

Well, I think ZDoom rocks and MBF (and SMMU fraggle ;-) ) rulez.
They're made for different purpose that's all.

Even if you disagree with some choices in ZDoom you must admit it's a kick ass port. Some would say too much features... hey ! Randy is working for free, let him get some pleasure out of it !

If you don't like it, don't use it, but we all must admit ZDoom is one of the most played port... just think about that ;-)