Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Primative

I was 10 when Doom came out, doom dieing?

Guest Primative

i still beleive it to be the best shooter i have ever played, and i will probably still have it when im 40, and there is shit like virtual reality and crap, lol that would be a laugh, but anyway, although we all feel strongly about doom, you must admite, the doom community is what it used to be.... i remember how hard randy worked on his zdoom port, and stuff, but even thats dieing down, i cant remember how long the last update was, and yes there are new enigines and mod and TC coming out all the time, but even with that, when the new doom comes out, there going to be a line drawn between us old doomers, and the new kids who just like the new doom game, and unfortunatly they probably wont understand how or who we even bother with the old doom, but then again, you have to ask, we are reaching limits to what doom can do, and pretty soon with all this alterin, it wont even be doom anymore, just an engine with the same name.

Guest nox

Well for me nothing wrong with all this alterin as long as they are good. You can always replay the idversion or a version more close to the original if you don't like those mutants.

You do have a good point, I was 13 when it came out and remembered the first time I played it, I was expecting something like wolf 3d but it blew my socks off!!!
The doom community is fading and I don't know why. As for TC's, I am making a partial conversion based on "xcom 2: terror from the deep" using EDGE.
HOPEFULLY, the new doom will be editable (possibly even more so than quake series). Editability is capital on my list, it's 70% the reason why I like doom and it's source ports.
As far as doom turning into another game, doom will always be doom. Even with newer source ports adding more options and capabilities, most or all come pre-set with the same behavior and controls of the original doom (even EDGE comes without the true 3d game option enabled). And even though the look might change with new options like translucency and the like, it will still act the same. Barons will still be barons, Imps will still be imps, and The Cyberdemon will still be the cyberdemon.

You don't have to use the new options if you don't want to... It's designed to be a new tool for the "new schoolers" while still satisfying the old-school doomer, even I sometimes go back and play original doom2 from time to time.

Regardless of how the source ports turn out. The new doom MUST be editable and I do mean EDITABLE, TCs would pop up everywhere and the doom community would liven up bigger than ever.