Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest a             1

new project

Guest a             1

hey everyone, im making a new project which features new sounds new graphics and new enemies... its called Last Man Standing for Doom2... its not a Zdoom add-on and I know you all are brainwashed into downloading ONLY zdoom wads but give this one a chance.. its pretty cool so far, ive made 10 levels.. its an 11 level project..

the page isnt up yet but email me at "a_____________1@hotmail.com"

yes that is my email address... sorry for those who expect zdoom projects but i like making pure doom2 levels, email me for more information.

sirgalahadwizar said:

ZDOOM sucks, EDGE RULES.
ZDoom is EDGE's slap-bitch.

Then you must know how to turn mouselook on in EDGE? I hate to play with kb.

sirgalahadwizar said:

ZDOOM sucks, EDGE RULES.
ZDoom is EDGE's slap-bitch.

zdoom has acs scripting and... uhm... edge is *slooooow*, i choose zdoom ...

(yes i know, if I only want speed i should go for boom....)

btw, is your world only composed in black/white?

Espi said:

Then you must know how to turn mouselook on in EDGE? I hate to play with kb.

I think you just choose analogue options in the menu and select one of the axis to mlook (don't really remember though, as i only use edge for immoral conduct....)

Lüt said:

BOTH aren't that great.

what's bad with zdoom?, the only minor things i can think of is that the later versions lack some dehacked support and that the beta versions uses fmod for sound, (which is a small step back in sound fx quality, but then again has way better module *and* mp3 support), but .... i can't figure out any better port...

I would suggest poorly written code, except that I am not a coder so I have no proof, but I do know one thing; it CRAWLS. I wasn't bagging it's features, but most of them are quite unnecessary and rarely used.

Aaaaaahhhhhhhh! What have I done with my post? The same stuff as always, ZDooM sucks, SMMU, MBF etc. rule.
Yes, EDGE is slow with -truebsp, without it it's fast, same applies for ZDooM. At least for me.

bitstate said:

what's bad with zdoom?, the only minor things i can think of is that the later versions lack some dehacked support and that the beta versions uses fmod for sound, (which is a small step back in sound fx quality, but then again has way better module *and* mp3 support), but .... i can't figure out any better port...

Put a lot of flying skulls and cacodemons in a room. Watch them get stuck together. That certainly ruins SP mode play. Any DOOM port should also have DOOM-type mouse support (allowing to set a mouse button for forward movement and use at the same time). Qauke 2 with all its features is faster than zdoom (if you set similar resolutions - that's what people mean when they say it's slow). Personally I do not use zdoom except for WADs made for it.

tarin said:

Aaaaaahhhhhhhh! What have I done with my post? The same stuff as always, ZDooM sucks, SMMU, MBF etc. rule.
Yes, EDGE is slow with -truebsp, without it it's fast, same applies for ZDooM. At least for me.

Oh I agree. Although Boom, MBF etc. are faster than ZDoom, ZDoom is plenty fast enough on modern computers.

tarin said:

Ah, now we can't inform about its flaws? Note that only 1 guy said it sucks. Also, no one said MBF and SMMU rule (because that was not the subject here). Note that many kids now doing projects will say the older ports are no good, (and they are misinformed, often even about the new ports they like). So people feel uncomfortable when using ports that aren't edge or zdoom, like it happened here. I used to think zdoom was the best port, but my opinion has changed (it's not out of ignorance or spite that some people don't like it much, it's a choice).

bitstate said:

Want a list? slow, bloated, bug-ridden, illegal to run, contains ripped off code...

Guest zyvgjc

According to Icarus Web, ZDOOM is the best port so far. ZDOOM received a 5/5 rating while the rest like BOOM, EDGE, and LEGACY got 4/5. All of the ports are very good judging from the close ratings. Each port seems to have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Guest ocelot

I'm afraid all the ports, unfortunately, suck. I don't think this is because of those who programmed them lack skill, but because they were made using wrong methods. A port should be based on original Doom, I mean really based on it, so that things like how the player moves, mouse sens, wallrunning, silent bfg etc would remain unchanged. Then the new features could be added. Right now in none of the ports I've seen the mouse sens is the same as in doom (means you have to get used to either of them and you can't play the other properly), nor does the player move exactly the same way (crashing on monsters/walls changes your speed differently) and in ZDoom, for example, you can wallrun on much more walls than in Doom and also from north to south. Further, in ZDoom you cannot grab the plasma the same way as in Doom (jumping is out of the question of course), nor can you silence the bfg. Also, you have to cope with a different mouse sensitivity which means learning to play ZDoom properly fucks up your real Doom gameplay. I wonder if it would be difficult to make a port that is Doom, really Doom, with just some features added, not some game that resembles Doom and has more features.

ocelot said:

Ahem. Go try BOOM and MBF, they are quite what you are asking for. Anyway, in the original DOOM you can use any mouse sesitivity you want (it's just that you can't use the menu if it's over 9, because the game will crash if you do), by modifying default.cfg (or whatever you've called your DOOM cfg - mine is doom.cfg). I personally set the mouse at sensitivity 35 for DOOM.

Guest Nuno Correia
Lüt said:

That's a new one...

It must be a drug or something.

(It's not illegal to use - all the pieces of code it contains are freely available to those who want them, even though they come in different licenses.)

(I'd challenge anyone to do a port without ripping A SINGLE BIT of code from other source.)