Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tawney

Music from Barrels o' Fun...On the Radio?!?!

I just recently thought of this, but a long time ago I was listening to a local radio station and I heard a song that had the exact same tune from Doom2's map23: Barrels o' Fun (Cool level I might add)

And every once and a while, on this same station, when the radio DJ talks, the background music is the exact same tune as e3m1 in Doom, and that music still plays today!

But I'm really courious about the map23 music. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, could you tell me the band and song name so I can do a search for it? Thanks

Oh, if you're courious about this radio station (I'm figuring they like Doom:) here's a link http://www.1057thex.com

The Barrels Of Fun music almost a direct ripoff of the song Them Bones by Alice In Chains. It's the opening track on their 2nd full-length album Dirt.

I guess Bobby Prince ran out of ideas:)

thanks for the info!

but the e3m1 music is still startling me. It makes me courious wether those guys on the X are Doom freaks, hehe that would be neat

I've tried calling before (Not about the song) and it's REALLY hard to actually reach them. Plus, I thought I'd ask here first anyway:)

Guest David_A

Actually, a lot of the Doom songs seem to be covers... I don't really understand why people praise him so much when a lot of the memorable songs are "borrowed."

Yeah, what's some of the other ones? I know the music from The Courtyard and Monster Condo (Map 18/27) is part of This Love by Pantera, and the Pandemonium music (E3M3) is a Slayer song (I forget which one; I don't care much for Slayer.) Is that it?

Guest Kaopectate

Yeah..I've heard weird stuff like that on the radio before....I was listening to a morning show here in new york and the hosts of the show were talking and in the background was a track from a Doctor Who soundtrack RECORD...I know cuz i have it and I went to check and they play it like once a week...it's was the 25th anniversary remix record thingy...kewl shit :)

David_A said:

Actually, a lot of the Doom songs seem to be covers... I don't really understand why people praise him so much when a lot of the memorable songs are "borrowed."

Actually I doubt his memorable songs were really borrowed, just some of 'em

Guest davidlay
Lüt said:

Yeah, what's some of the other ones? I know the music from The Courtyard and Monster Condo (Map 18/27) is part of This Love by Pantera, and the Pandemonium music (E3M3) is a Slayer song (I forget which one; I don't care much for Slayer.) Is that it?

And E1M1 is Master of puppets by metalica. If they tell U about e3m1, let me know what it was cuz i wanna know too.

"And E1M1 is Master of puppets by metalica" The Alice in Chains and Pantera songs are definately what, ahem, "inspired" Mr. Prince, but E1M1 doesn't sound much like Master of Puppets to me.

On the same subject, I'm sure that at least a couple of Bobby's Duke Nukem midis are based on songs by various bands too.

Maybe someone should put together a list of all the songs that have "helped" Bobby Prince make his music so us people with CD-recorders can put together a soundtrack CD of sorts :)

Kaopectate said:

Yeah..I've heard weird stuff like that on the radio before....I was listening to a morning show here in new york and the hosts of the show were talking and in the background was a track from a Doctor Who soundtrack RECORD...I know cuz i have it and I went to check and they play it like once a week...it's was the 25th anniversary remix record thingy...kewl shit :)

Heh, why do Americans, Canadians and Australians all love Dr. Who, yet the majority of us British (who made the damned thing) think it's a huge embarassment?

Guest David_A
NiGHTMARE said:

"And E1M1 is Master of puppets by metalica" The Alice in Chains and Pantera songs are definately what, ahem, "inspired" Mr. Prince, but E1M1 doesn't sound much like Master of Puppets to me.

On the same subject, I'm sure that at least a couple of Bobby's Duke Nukem midis are based on songs by various bands too.

Maybe someone should put together a list of all the songs that have "helped" Bobby Prince make his music so us people with CD-recorders can put together a soundtrack CD of sorts :)

That's just because it's in midi form:) I downloaded part of the song just to check if it was the same thing (I'm not a Metalica fan) and I was pretty freaked out... It's the same one, alright.

Guest David_A
NiGHTMARE said:

Heh, why do Americans, Canadians and Australians all love Dr. Who, yet the majority of us British (who made the damned thing) think it's a huge embarassment?

BECAUSE DR WHO IS THE MAN!!!! At least the Dr with the massive scarf, big curly hair, and the trench coat. Such a fashion sense! Blake's Seven (70's sci-fi show), Red Dwarf, and Robot Wars are cool British shows too... PBS is the only station with enough courage to show that old junk; I guess these old show's popularity says a lot about what the other garbage on TV is like...

Guest David_A
Lüt said:

Covaro had that Real Audio show about Doom music a while back... I don't remember if he just talked about Doom music/sfx being used in new music or how some of the original songs were covers. Anybody?

Guest fraggle`
David_A said:

BECAUSE DR WHO IS THE MAN!!!! At least the Dr with the massive scarf, big curly hair, and the trench coat. Such a fashion sense! Blake's Seven (70's sci-fi show), Red Dwarf, and Robot Wars are cool British shows too... PBS is the only station with enough courage to show that old junk; I guess these old show's popularity says a lot about what the other garbage on TV is like...

actually thats only one of the doctors, there are like 8 of them (every now and then they had to replace the actor and he 'regenerated' and changed into the new actor). The first doctor was the best imo, it was a wig though.

"understand, of course i understand my dear fellow! I am to infiltrate and kill!"

David_A said:

That's just because it's in midi form:) I downloaded part of the song just to check if it was the same thing (I'm not a Metalica fan) and I was pretty freaked out... It's the same one, alright.

I disagree....with both nick and dave_a.

dave_a - If you listen to the entire song, you'll notice that the song sound completely different after about 2 minutes into the song

nick - The beginning of the song definately sounds exactly like e1m1. Well, not exactly, but really really really damn close. i mean really close:)

in conclusion? I think Bobby used the song for "inspiration". either that or he ripped on of the 50 tunes in the song and made that one song entirely:)

I think we should get all doomers to find out some songs that sound similar to the doom songs and make an mp3 archive of some sort...we'll then see how many songs are actually ripped:)

fraggle` said:

actually thats only one of the doctors, there are like 8 of them (every now and then they had to replace the actor and he 'regenerated' and changed into the new actor). The first doctor was the best imo, it was a wig though.

"understand, of course i understand my dear fellow! I am to infiltrate and kill!"

My personal favourite episode was the Comic Relief one last year with Rowan "Blackadder" Atkinson, it was absolutely hilarious, and it had damned good computer graphics, scenery, costumes, props, etc considering the budget they had (i.e. a virtually non-existant one)

Anyway, taking this episode into account, there have actually been like 12 doctors, 'caus in they go through about four doctors in as many minutes, they had Hugh Grant, some guy I forget (Patrict Swayze I _think_), and in the end the Doctor becomes Joanna Lumley. Yes, a woman :)

Apparently they're making another Who movie, so I very much doubt they'll take these events into consideration.

Tawney said:

I disagree....with both nick and dave_a.

dave_a - If you listen to the entire song, you'll notice that the song sound completely different after about 2 minutes into the song

nick - The beginning of the song definately sounds exactly like e1m1. Well, not exactly, but really really really damn close. i mean really close:)

in conclusion? I think Bobby used the song for "inspiration". either that or he ripped on of the 50 tunes in the song and made that one song entirely:)

I think we should get all doomers to find out some songs that sound similar to the doom songs and make an mp3 archive of some sort...we'll then see how many songs are actually ripped:)

Maybe you're right after all. I just compared a midi of Master of Puppets with the midi of d_e1m1 and I can see it. I also noticed some other Metallic influences:

Motorbreath - d_inter in Doom 1
Phantom Lord - d_shawn in Doom 2

Guest Kaopectate
NiGHTMARE said:

Cuz I'm one of the lucky few WHO :) grew up on that show...I have EVERY episode on tape...

The producers of the last season who decided to kill it should rot in hell :) just kidding...

Guest Kaopectate
David_A said:

PBS and NJN...they own....I love Red Dwarf and Are you being Served..don't forget Mr. Bean!!!

Too bad I never got into Blakes 7 though..i hear it was good.

NiGHTMARE said:

Maybe you're right after all. I just compared a midi of Master of Puppets with the midi of d_e1m1 and I can see it. I also noticed some other Metallic influences:

Motorbreath - d_inter in Doom 1
Phantom Lord - d_shawn in Doom 2

Poor Napster.. id Software were 7 years ahead of them in terms of ripping off Metallica, but they were the ones that got sued!

Guest David_A
NiGHTMARE said:

My personal favourite episode was the Comic Relief one last year with Rowan "Blackadder" Atkinson, it was absolutely hilarious, and it had damned good computer graphics, scenery, costumes, props, etc considering the budget they had (i.e. a virtually non-existant one)

Anyway, taking this episode into account, there have actually been like 12 doctors, 'caus in they go through about four doctors in as many minutes, they had Hugh Grant, some guy I forget (Patrict Swayze I _think_), and in the end the Doctor becomes Joanna Lumley. Yes, a woman :)

Apparently they're making another Who movie, so I very much doubt they'll take these events into consideration.

I know that there were several doctors (I think I watched through three of them before they took it off the air), but the first guy was still the best. The dude with the umbrella was OK I guess, but he wasn't as weird as the first guy.

Rowan Atkinson played a Dr?! They must have been struggling for ratings:)