Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest LRM

Poll from LRM

Guest LRM

Hey, how much money would you be willing to bet that your first created wad was worse than mine? Remember, I'm not talking about the two room test\tutorial wad everyone does to try out an editor.
My first wad had 8 rooms, HOM, texture misalignment everyware, one secret area with no hint to it's location, wolfenstien soldiers, no lighting effects, a lift that you couldn't activate after the first use, big misaligned doors, and above all, it was wayyyy too easy.

Heh. You should have seen mine. It was ugly grey all over, had doors as thick as a teleport pad, a malfunctioning rising staircase, and a shot activated secret door that fucked up every sector in the level! To top it all off it had the infamous Arch-Vile bug which produced baby spider and Baron ghosts and no rocket launcher to be found anywhere...

Guest LRM

I've never heard of the archvile bug... how do you recreate it?

You haven't? Well, the Arch-Vile bug is this: If a monster is killed and squished into a puddle of blood by a door or something, and an Arch-Vile respawns it from the puddle of blood, the monster will be able to walk through walls and is invincible to everything except rocket explosions (not direct hits). Once, I even saw a level that used this bug purposely.

Haha, mine was cool. It was 3 sectors. You start on a little 128x128 step that is 16 above the ground. Then another square 8 above the ground outlines it. Then the rest is a giant 1-sector maze - grey stone(2) walls, gray stone ceiling(3_5) and blood/mass damage floor. And 3 exit switches. I tried a door but it crashed the level.

Guest LRM
AndrewB said:

My first level? Here's an old screenshot of it..

- http://www.andrewb.net/images/candy1_b.gif -

I hope that works... I have high standards, you know. I couldn't make a bad-looking level if my life depended on it!

Hey, andrew, that looks pretty cool for a first try!

I only made one wad, it took my computer time way off scale and I did nothing else except work on it and bug friends on ways round errors I had created, I released it and was shocked Greensting made it his wad of the month heheheh Shows what a lot of ignorance and brute force can do :)

Guest Kaopectate
geekmarine said:

You haven't? Well, the Arch-Vile bug is this: If a monster is killed and squished into a puddle of blood by a door or something, and an Arch-Vile respawns it from the puddle of blood, the monster will be able to walk through walls and is invincible to everything except rocket explosions (not direct hits). Once, I even saw a level that used this bug purposely.

Yeah. It's in one of the Requiem levels and even tells you in the description.

My first wad (well this might not be quite true, but my memory isn't that good :) was a room which lead to a large dark room with barrels in patches and ghost-demons. The idea was to get around them and go through the door on the side, which was right next to the one you came out from, and there was the exit. About, 4 sectors big as I recall.

My first really good level was a marine base which you had escape... man I think I've still got that somewhere!

Kaopectate said:

Yeah. It's in one of the Requiem levels and even tells you in the description.

One of the Icarus levels does this too.

My first wad was really stupid looking. Imagine a room with a ceiling 400 units high, a floor made of blood, marble walls, hundreds of monsters of every type, and a pile of ammo next to your start position. I think I threw some random skewered corpses or something in there too.

Across the "room" (which was roughly the size of the entire Doom2 wad), was a "door" (also huge). When you pressed this "door", the entire sector ceiling rose 400 units into the air. The ceiling texture for the door was water. I would dare any of you to try to cross the whole sector before the door closed again (it was that big).

When the "door" opened, it revealed a hallway which zigzagged a long, long way into darkness (for some reason I had no trouble setting the light level to 40, but I couldn't figure out how to fix it). At the end of the "hallway" was a misaligned patch of gate flats as the "exit".

I named the level vacuum.wad, because not only was it shaped like a vacuum cleaner, it sucked as well.

My first level was one large room where you began in front of 10 BFGs in a row, and across the room stood ten cyberdemons. Behind a wall was a Spider Mastermind surrounded by 100+ barrels, there was corpses scattered here and there, there were HOMs at places and a few severely malfunctioning doors.

Remember that it is imperative that your first level contained at least a two-digit number of cyberdemons, otherwise it is not good... :)