Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest IcarusWing

10 Sectors...

Guest IcarusWing

First off, very funky idea. Really gets you thinking. Secondly, can we use pillars? WadAuthor counts them as sectors, but you can't actually get into them? Linguica... the offical word, please?

Guest Aiylyn

It's possible to make pillars that aren't separate sectors. Just add more walls (the pillar) and have their right side as the room sector.

If you mean pillars with for example heights 128 / 128, it is a sector at least when you ask me. It makes you able to do some additional texture manipulation that you can't to with "dead" sectors ( or "non-defined space", whichever you call it).

If you mean the "sectors" when you create a rectangle with "make column" enabled: WadAuthor removes the sector from them as soon as you save the map or de-select it.

Pillars made with single sided linedefs with void in the center are not sectors.

Guest Fanatic

I don't know how you can easily cut holes in a sector to make a void-filled pillar in WAD Author, since it's a sector based editor, but in DOOMCad I just "Edit current sector's linedefs" and draw backwards (counter clockwise). The result is correctly set lines that create a pillar with void space inside.

No extra sectors.

Guest spacedog
Aiylyn said:

It's possible to make pillars that aren't separate sectors. Just add more walls (the pillar) and have their right side as the room sector.

i don't know about other editors, but with dck you can just delete the second side-def or select the sector and delete it which just least a bunch of one-sided lines with a void in the middle

1) Create a new sector where you want the pillar to be, and then flip the linedefs out. Select all the linedefs, and make a note of the sector they are within (e.g. sector 0 or whatever). Go to properties. Untick 'two sided' and tick 'impassible'. Set the front sector ID to whatever sector this pillar is in, and the back one to -1.

Hm, this sound a bit complicated to me.

In DETH, you first make the vertices, then connect them with linedefs and then manually add sidedefs with the right sector references to them. I always do my maps this way.

I agree, I don't really like wadauthor, I prefer elastic-band style mapping as its called.

Fanatic said:

I don't know how you can easily cut holes in a sector to make a void-filled pillar in WAD Author, since it's a sector based editor, but in DOOMCad I just "Edit current sector's linedefs" and draw backwards (counter clockwise). The result is correctly set lines that create a pillar with void space inside.

No extra sectors.

Right click within any valid sector. Select new polygonal sector. Check the make column box.

spacedog said:

i don't know about other editors, but with dck you can just delete the second side-def or select the sector and delete it which just least a bunch of one-sided lines with a void in the middle

YUP. Dck just rules the world!