Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Skippy

a sector is........

to my understanding, a sector is more than a mere room, it is a peice of data that holds the floor and ceiling heights, what it does to the player, lighting, its tag, what actions its supposed to do, and what flats to display, blah blah blah blah

Guest Aiylyn

A sector can be more than just a room, and a room can be more than just 1 sector. It does hold floor/ceiling heights, textures, and any properties such as acid-damage, light effects and levels, etc. It also includes vertex placement, and linedef/sidedef properties. It also defines where the player space is.

Guest spacedog

anytime you want to change the floor/ceiling height floor/ceiling pattern, the light level, the tag or properties, then you have to add another sector, otherwise you don't

Aiylyn said:

A sector can be more than just a room, and a room can be more than just 1 sector. It does hold floor/ceiling heights, textures, and any properties such as acid-damage, light effects and levels, etc. It also includes vertex placement, and linedef/sidedef properties. It also defines where the player space is.

Actually, no.

Sectors do NOT contain information about the linedefs/sidedefs that are in the sector. Rather, the sidedefs determine which sector the line is connected to. So it is possible to have linedefs without sector refs (which will make really screwy effects, which I think will vary depending on which port/BSPer you use) and you can also have sectors in your level that aren't even connected to any linedefs and are "hidden." Those are pretty pointless though.

I suggest that you guys look up the old old DEU tutorial, or find the unofficial Doom specs. That will really clear things up.

(I know this stuff from experience, because a long time ago I wrote a stupid little program that loads Doom levels and displays them in 3D, kind of like DoomCAD. Except I made it with QBasic. *g* )