Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ImMe

Master Levels problem

Guest ImMe

I just got the Master Levels For Doom2 and I'm having trouble. The maps are in seperate wads, not one wad. But I can't load them all at once, it seems that the msdos box has a certain limit to the number of characters that can be in the execution line thingee, which turns out to be around the tenth wad. So I can only load ten wads at once, even using a batch file. So I tried to combine them into one wad, but I can't be sure of the order because more than one of the wads say they are for map01. Depending on which wads are loaded map01 is different.
So basicaly, can someone please tell me the correct order for the twenty Master Levels wads so I can combine them correctly.

Try using a Windows-based launcher to list more than 10 wads. Alternatively, you could combine all 20 wads into a single megawad using a utility such as WinTex, then load the single wad using the command line in DOS. (If you're using WinTex, you'll have to make sure that you change the map number internally, so that each wad has a unique map number. You can use any level editor to change the internal map number.) As far the sequence goes, I'm afraid I don't know, but I suspect that because they were created independently, there is no real sequence.

Guest ImMe

Im certain there must be a proper order. You can't release a game without a proper order for the maps...
Thanks for you reply.

It's not supposed to be a game, just a collection of levels. Most of them are Map01, but, you can use this thing called WadCat (I don't know where to get it anymore) that will let you compile all the files into one WAD and it asks you which map numbers you want the individual WADs to replace, so you can renumber them 1-20.

What I would do is just load them in an editor, re-save them as different map numbers and use WinTex to combine them all into one WAD.

Guest PainoMan
ImMe said:

Im certain there must be a proper order. You can't release a game without a proper order for the maps...
Thanks for you reply.

There are 7 (I think) levels include with the Master Levels that DO have an order, but you'll have to read the text files included with them to figure out what the order is, as I am not home right now to list them out for you.

They were all made by Dr. Sleep and the first one is called "Dante's Gate". The second, I believe, is "Crossing Acheron". I forget what they are after that, but I'm pretty sure there are 7 all told.

There are a few other levels made by the same person, but none of the others are in any particular order.

Get Ultralaunch 2.05. It's on cdrom.com under the utils/frontends dir. It's old and it's DOS and it doesn't handle .deh files or work with any win32 source ports, but it is the BEST Doom launcher out there if only for the wadfile zip support. It does a whole lot more though, and it's the greatest for organizing all your non-port specific stuff.

Lay-Tor!

Guest PainoMan

Oh ya,

You can use WinTex to change the map numbers before you combine them all together as well. Just open each wad in WinTex and under the menu heading "Guru..." there is a listing for renaming entries. Just highlight the map number entry and rename it to whatever number you want. Once they are all renamed uniquely, then you can start with the map01 wad and then cut and paste the rest into it one at a time.

Shee ya!

Guest Lrm
Lüt said:

It's not supposed to be a game, just a collection of levels. Most of them are Map01, but, you can use this thing called WadCat (I don't know where to get it anymore) that will let you compile all the files into one WAD and it asks you which map numbers you want the individual WADs to replace, so you can renumber them 1-20.

What I would do is just load them in an editor, re-save them as different map numbers and use WinTex to combine them all into one WAD.

You get wadcat with the waded level editor that you can get in the utilities section of doomworld.

Guest doomgod12345
ReX said:

Try using a Windows-based launcher to list more than 10 wads. Alternatively, you could combine all 20 wads into a single megawad using a utility such as WinTex, then load the single wad using the command line in DOS. (If you're using WinTex, you'll have to make sure that you change the map number internally, so that each wad has a unique map number. You can use any level editor to change the internal map number.) As far the sequence goes, I'm afraid I don't know, but I suspect that because they were created independently, there is no real sequence.

u can use legacy it can do that, also u could fuse them into one wad if u know what u are doing

Guest zyvgjc

A problem that you will encounter when you combine all the levels together is that all the skies will turn into night skies.

Guest PainoMan

That won't happen if you are careful about which maps you put where.

This is the Master.deh file I build as I merged that stuff together. It's the same order as in PSX Final Doom.

---Begin----

Text 17 14
level 1: entrywaylevel 1:Attack

Text 19 14
level 2: underhallslevel 2:Canyon

Text 20 19
level 3: the gantletlevel 3:The Catwalk

Text 18 19
level 4: the focuslevel 4:The Combine

Text 26 19
level 5: the waste tunnelslevel 5:The Fistula

Text 20 20